Status: Complete

Eleanor & Fred

The Feast & Class

Once the compartment door slid closed, I leaned against it and Fred turned to face me. I had spoken to him before, but it had always been in group settings. His brown eyes darted around nervously and, while I was impatient, I was too nervous to speak first.

“I know-“ He paused to clear his throat. “I know that, um. No, that’s not right.” He was rubbing the back of his neck, mumbling as he stared down the train. Finally, after putting me through minutes of agony, he looked me right in the eyes. “I like you, Ellie.”

I blinked a few times before an unrecognizable sound escaped my mouth. It sounded something like “whayoulimey?”

“Um…I think the answer to that is yes?” While my face was burning it comforted me a little when a blush appeared on his as well. “I was wondering if…maybe you wanted to, um…go with Hogsmeade to me this weekend…I mean…go to weekend this Hogsmeade with me…I mean-“

“Yes.” I was shocked myself at how sure the single word sounded. My stomach squirming, I managed a small smile. “I would like to go to Hogsmeade with you this weekend.”

A grin spread across his face and he immediately seemed more like his usual calm, laid back self. “Great. Um, I’ll let you get back to your friends then.” He gave me a small wave before turning and making his way down the train, an obvious spring in his step. I watched until he disappeared inside a compartment before flinging myself back into my own.

Before Alice could say a word I told her every detail. My smile didn’t leave my face the entire way to Hogwarts. While I had never considered dating Fred before, the more I thought about it, the more excited I got. I had a date with Fred Weasley.

* * * * *

As I took my seat I the great hall I couldn’t help but notice Fred, George, and a few
others around them look in my direction. Alice and I giggled, causing Jay and Wes to roll their eyes.

The Sorting Hat gave an unusual speech, but it was forgotten quickly as food appeared in front of us. Jay dug in immediately, while Alice and Wes took their time eating. I could barely eat, my thoughts on none other than Fred sitting across the room. I was afraid to glance at him because he was facing me, but I decided to risk it after much debate.

He was laughing with his brother, causing me to smile. Pure happiness lit up his face, the smile reaching his eyes. His shaggy, red hair did not stick out as it usually did, because he was also near his siblings Ron and Ginny. He spoke and more laughter followed. For the first time I wished that I was sitting at another table.

“Ellie?” Jay’s voice caught my attention and I noticed my friends smirking at me. “You were starting to drool.”

I punched Jay in the arm, knowing he was only teasing, just as dessert appeared. Alice kept me involved in the conversation until I had finished eating completely and then it was time for Dumbledore’s speech. He introduced a new professor, Professor Umbridge, and I shared a confused look with Alice as she interrupted him to make a speech of her own. The room was more silent than I could ever remember it being.

Her voice was high-pitched and she reminded me, quite frankly, of a toad. A very large toad in frilly clothing. She spoke of the Ministry and Hogwarts, but I wasn’t the type to think much of it. I just simply went with things. When she was finished, Dumbledore started clapping and the rest of us slowly and reluctantly followed. While I’d never disliked a teacher before, I had a feeling that she would be the first.

We were dismissed to our dormitories and I realized how sleepy I was. While being jostled around by the massive crowd, I found myself separated from Alice, Jay, and Wes. I did manage, however, to bump into Elijah. He offered me a weak smile before pushing in the opposite direction. I felt a hand grab my wrist as I finally made it to the less-crowded front hall. “Where are Jay and Wes?” I asked Alice as she pulled me to the side of the hall.

“They went to the lavatory.”

The familiar trip to the Ravenclaw tower did not take as long as expected, but I found myself yawning by the time we reached it. Alice wanted to wait in the common room for Wes, but I decided to just go up to bed.

No one else was in the room when I flopped down on my bed, the closest one to the door. It had been a long day, and before changing into my pajamas I was asleep.

* * * * *

My first class the next morning was Defense Against the Dark Arts, which we had with Hufflepuff. I thought I was fully prepared for Umbridge’s teaching, but what I found was completely unexpected.

“Wands away.” The class stared at her as if she’d grown three horns and a beard (though that might have improved her appearance). We had been handed textbooks and were told to copy the first chapter word for word. While I definitely thought this was ridiculous, I wasn’t one of the ones who openly complained. Two students received detention and one was sent to sit in the hallway. Umbridge was not messing around.

As we were leaving the classroom, Alice was overheard as she spoke of how ridiculous class was and she, too, received a detention. We made our way to our next class, Potions, and I waved at Fred as I passed him in the hall.

My next two classes passed by quickly and then I had the rest of the day free. Alice and Wes decided to spend some time together, leaving Jay and I to wander about the castle. We found seats in a deserted corridor, exhausted from waking up early.

“What do you think of Sara Fawcett?”

“A little young for you, isn’t she?”

“I dunno,” Jay shrugged. “2 years isn’t that big of a difference.”

“Well, if you’re going for a fifth year, you might as well date Pansy Parkinson.”

We continued naming ridiculous matches for him until the conversation dissolved into fits of giggles.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? :)