Status: Complete

Eleanor & Fred

Hogsmeade & Butterbeer

“Breathe, Ellie. Breathe.” I focused on Alice as I tried to relax. It felt as if every muscle in my body was alive with electricity. “Everything is going to be fine.”

“You do realize that I’m seventeen and this is my first date,” I stated. She dismissed this with a wave of her hand and reached for something. “Not more makeup,” I groaned.

“I’m almost done! Hold still.” Decided I didn’t feel like arguing, I obeyed. Once she was finished she placed my glasses back on my face and unclipped my now-curly hair so that it was all down, framing my face. “Perfect.” She was beaming at me with pride. “Go look.”

Holding my breath, I stood and walked across the room to the full-length mirror. A small gasp escaped my lips as I admired Alice’s work. A light-blue shadow accented my eyes along with mascara and eye-liner. The tiniest amount of blush painted my cheeks, almost matching the light pink lipstick I was wearing. The curls in my hair were bouncy, but not out of control, and I even thought that my outfit was nice, though I had picked it out myself. Jeans, a dark blue tank-top, and a black, button-up sweater over top.

Alice checked her watch and shoved me out the door, stating that being a few minutes early wouldn’t hurt. I explained to her that I still had no idea what I was going to talk about with Fred but she promised that it would be easier than I expected.

I reached the doors leading to the Great Hall and waited patiently, deciding to kick Alice
for deciding this weekend she would rather stay at the castle and leave me to wait alone. Several people passed, making their way out of the castle, on their way to Hogsmeade. The wind was a bit chilly, so I knew that most of my time spent with Fred would be spent indoors, most likely giving us even less to converse about.

My head snapped up when I heard the voice I was waiting for. Fred was walking down the stairs with George speaking quickly and quietly, a worried look on his face. For a split second I panicked, wondering if he was going to cancel and just didn’t know how to tell me. I heard George speak the words “Good luck” as they reached the bottom of the stairs and disappear out of the castle as Fred turned to notice me for the first time.

“Hi.” My voice shook on the one-syllable word.

“Hey,” he responded, not sounding much better. “So, shall we?” I nodded and followed him outside. “Are you glad to be back at school?”

“Yeah,” I replied, not knowing what else to say. So far, Alice was wrong. This was NOT easier that I’d thought it would be. A couple walked past us, hand-in-hand, making me realize how awkward Fred and I must look compared to them; walking a foot apart with barely any eye contact.

“So, you know you’re kind of a mystery, right?” I must have given him a quizzical look because he explained. “We’ve been friends, even if indirectly, since first or second year, and yet I still know almost nothing about you. You’re so…quiet. It makes me curious. I guess that’s what kind of attracted me to you in the first place.” I glanced over at him just in time to see his face turn bright red. I could tell that he was mentally kicking himself for the bluntness of his last statement.

I shrugged. “I guess I’m just more interested in what others have to say. My life isn’t all that exciting. I’ve already told everything to Alice, Weston, and Julian. I think enough people have had to listen to me talk about me.” Silently, I apologized for thinking Alice had been wrong. The words were coming almost effortlessly as long as the right questions were asked.

“I would be interested in what you had to say,” Fred grinned, “If you wanted to tell me, that is. Sometimes when I would see you in class or in the Great Hall, when everyone’s interacting except for you, I would rack my brains trying to figure you out. It would be nice to know instead of guess.” By this time we had reached the village. Thankfully there was much to look at besides Fred. His open admittance of admiring from afar was throwing me off guard. “The Three Broomsticks?”

“Sure,” I smiled, following his lead as we made our way toward the destination. Once inside, I noticed it was fairly crowded. Fred waved at someone in the corner who I found to be his brother, George.

Great, I thought, we’re going to have an audience.

I followed Fred to an open table in the back and sat in the chair he pulled out for me.
“Thanks,” I mumbled as he took the seat across from me. He ordered us each a butterbeer after checking with me first. For someone who was such a troublemaker, he certainly had manners.

As soon as our drinks arrived I tasted the delicious liquid. I immediately felt warmer and less anxious about the situation I was in. Feeling slightly brave for once, I spoke. “So, what exactly did you want to know about me?”

“Would it be weird if I said everything?” We both laughed awkwardly before he continued. “What’s your family like? I know you have a brother in Slytherin, but I’ve never seen you talking to him.”

“Oh, well…my family is…they’re sort of…”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t realize…wrong subject.”

“Stop beating yourself up,” I commanded, causing him to freeze mid-head-shake. “Sorry, it’s just…it’s not your fault. My family is…well, shitty.” I saw a hint of sadness in his eyes, but he didn’t speak. “They don’t really like me.”

“How could they not?”

I sighed. “It’s bullocks, really. I’m the only one in my family…who’s not in Slytherin.” I realized that I had been holding my breath as I told him. I wasn’t sure why I was telling him in the first place, except that he’d asked.

“Well…” Fred spoke his words slowly, “I think…that your family doesn’t deserve you.”

That was the first time that Fred Weasley caused my heart to melt.