The Little Bandit

Chapter One: The Hand Phone

I was just a common person, living with my little normal family; a mother who worked as a waitress in a bar and a step father who couldn’t be told what his occupation was because he kept changing his job too often. Sometimes he was at home all day, watching television and yelling at me, asking me to bring him beers, making lunch, or buying his cigarettes. Some other times, he went out for a couple of days, leaving Mom and I home alone, which made me happy because I didn’t need to see him for the next couple days.

Well, maybe my life was not that normal. For the last three months, my mother was hospitalized due to lung cancer. It was still at the first stadium though, but it was enough to frighten me. I didn’t want to lose my mother; not after years ago I lost my father to an accident. So I forced her to quit her job and take a rest. It made me had to work hard to cover all the expenses; please didn’t ask about my beloved step father, he wouldn’t care. I never understood what my mother saw from him, but she was in love with him madly. She’s blinded by love, but who was not?

So, in my seventeen years old, when my girl friends were busy with their love life, or what’s new in fashion, I kept myself busy with working double shift at an Italian Restaurant. But the best part of my life was the fact that I had two incredible friends; Cathy Langdon and Adam Davies.

~

“Yo, Al! Bring me those napkins!”

Jerry pointed toward the pile of folded napkins next to me. I grabbed the napkins and passed them to him. “It is really crowded tonight,” he said.

“It also means lots of tips,” I responded, saying more to myself. I really counted on those tips lately. I was kind of running out of money.

“How’s your mother?” Jerry asked, noticing that my face just got depressed.

“She’s doing great; the cancer doesn’t affect her health yet.”

Jerry patted my shoulder, trying to comfort me. “Thanks, Jerry,” I said to him.

“That’s what friends are for, dear. Now get back to work.”

“Miss, hey Miss,” someone called me. I looked around at the crowded place and find a boy; sitting alone next to the window, his hand raised and his eyes at me. I walked toward him and realized who he was. I knew that boy. He was the most popular boy in my school, handsome, smart, but a trouble maker. For me he was no more than a jerk. He was just a stupid boy with a pretty face. If I was not mistaken, his name was Aiden Norton.

“Do you want to order?” I asked him, ready with my notebook.

“I want this spaghetti and a glass of soda,” he answered, pointing toward the menu. His finger was long and looked like he just got manicure which of course he didn’t.

I wrote down his orders. “Anything else?” I asked.

“No, I think that’s enough for now,” he looked up and frowned. “Do I know you?” he asked suddenly.

I surprised. I didn’t think that he knew me, we never talked before, he was like this prince who was surrounded by girls, we had same class last year, but he didn’t notice me. I didn’t care either.

“Were we fooling around at Leslie’s birthday party?” he continued.

Oh yes, Leslie’s birthday party. Like I was invited, I thought ironically. She was this school queen and head of cheerleader. Leslie and Aiden were one type, our precious school celebrity. And how fool I was; thinking that he was kind enough to remember me.

“No, I don’t think so. Wrong person,” I replied coldly.

He nodded. “Yeah, there is no way that girl’s working here,” he mumbled.

“Can I go now?” I asked, slightly annoyed by his words. So what if I worked here? Was it bad working for your family’s sake?

“Sure,” he answered with a grin, exposing his perfect white teeth. Oh dear, he really was gorgeous.

I instantly shook my head, trying to erase those stupid thought.

~

“Al, clean up table 8,” Jerry ordered me. I rushed to table 8 which was in fact; Aiden’s table. He had left, leaving the bill and a hand phone on the table. Wait, a hand phone? It must be his. How long did he leave? Maybe I could catch him, or should I put it at Lost and Found? While I was thinking, the phone began to ring. Maybe it was him. Without thinking, I picked up the phone.

“Hello?” I said to the receiver.

“Where are you?” a man answered, in an annoying husky voice.

“Sorry, this is Aiden’s phone. He left it at my rest-“

“I DON’T CARE!” he shouted, which made me jump. “Bring him now, or his friend died.”

What? I couldn’t believe what I heard. “S-Sir, please don’t be mad. I don’t know what you are talking about, it’s not my phone, it’s Aiden’s-“

“As I said before lady, I don’t give a shit. Bring him now; he knows where to find me. Tell him, it’s the black code.”

And with that, he hung up on me.

What was that? Was it serious or just a prank? Who was that angry man? What had Aiden done? He must be in big trouble, but he looked pretty calm while he was here. Well, why should I care? It was probably just a pathetic joke from his cool buddies.

I continued cleaning up when the phone rang for the second time. I looked at it and there was a message. Should I open it? I’d better not. What if this message was from that rude man? I thought about it for a moment and decided to open it.

It was a picture. A picture of my best friend, Adam. A picture of Adam who was tied up in a chair with blood was all over his face and shirt. He was unconscious for sure, he didn’t move at all.

I let out a scream.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please tell me what you think...I really appreciate your comments, subscribes and emails...:)