‹ Prequel: Roaring Thunder
Status: Complete; Comments, please?; Fifquel?

Rain Gently Tapping Against My Skin

Chapter Twelve: I Cannot Believe I Just Said That

“Alright, here we are,” I say, signing in some of the papers. Alison was here for her appointment, Martin and Kevin tagging along for protection. Kevin honestly doesn’t trust my ability to kick Donovan’s butt. So sad.

“I wonder how uncle John’s been doing.”, Alison says thoughtfully. “He’s your nephew, Kevin.”

“How many do I have exactly?”, Kevin asks, raising an eyebrow.

“A million,” I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes. “Remember, Alison, you get checked out, then we leave. Nothing in between.”

“Awww,” she whines, pouting. “I was hoping to get that whole life insurance thing. I hear that when kids die, the parents get all the money!”

“No.”

“Awww!!! C’mon!”

“No.”

“What about —”

“No.”

“What if —”

“No.”

“WhatifDonovancallsandsayshe’scomingby.”

“Huh?”

“What if Donovan calls and says he’s coming by,” Kevin says, rolling his eyes. “Then we skip the appointment and get you out of here.”

“Okay,” she grumbles, walking into the doctor’s office with Martin.

♠ ♣ ♠

“Well?”, Kevin and I say together, jumping to our feet.

“Donovan called,” Martin says, pulling Alison along behind him. “He’s on his way to check up on her.”

“Crap,” I say, at the exact same time Kevin says, “Damn.”

“What should we do?!”

“What did I say we do?!”, Kevin growls, already beginning to drag all of us behind him quickly.

“Are you doing drugs or something?”, I ask, as we land on Fallen. “I mean, you shouldn’t be able to do that?”

“No, he’s just freaky superman strong,” Alison says sarcastically, rolling her eyes. “We’d all know if he were doing drugs.”

“Yeah, you’re right.”

“Aren’t I always?”

“You’re getting a big head.”

“Yeah, well you’re fat!!”

“What?!”, I ask, looking down. “I AM NOT FAT!”

“YES YOU ARE!”

“AT LEAST I’M NOT PREGNANT!”

“BITCH!”, Alison yells at the top of her lungs, stomping away angrily.

“Crap, did I seriously just say that?”, I ask, looking around, as they all nod. “Crap, crap, crap!! She’ll never forgive me for that …”

“Yes she will. Alison’s not one to hold a grudge.”, Kevin says, rolling his eyes. “If she was then she’d have moved out by now.”

“You’re psycho, Kevin, we naturally expect you to try and kill all of us.”, I say, rolling my eyes. “But you’ve never hit her right in the heart with the one thing she absolutely would hate you for eternity for.”

“Sophie?”

“Yes. But that’s not it.”, I say, rolling my eyes. “Just go stake a vampire before I decide to slap you.”

♠ ♣ ♠

“Gosh, is she just gonna stay in there and have Martin steal food for her?”, I ask, glaring at Martin as he stuffs a plate full of food.

“Until you say sorry.”

“Honestly? Is she five?”

“No. But she still believes sorry makes everything better.”, he shrugs, walking away with his plate. “Don’t follow me!”

“Has anyone ever noticed that she either runs to Donovan or Martin?”, Laura asks suddenly.

“It’s a trust thing. Whenever we do something to set her off senseless, she runs to Donovan. Martin’s her boyfriend who keeps her from doing something stupid. Like getting pregnant.”, I say, rolling my eyes. “That’s why Martin’s Kevin’s favorite.”

“It’s true,” Kevin says, chuckling. “Although, I always expected as much from him.”

“From Martin?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay, Mr. I’m-Gonna-Kill-Him.”

“I was just messing with everyone.”

“You dirty little liar!”, Sophie yells. “You’re still planning his funeral!”

“Damn these psychic nieces.”

I roll my eyes at him, knowing good and well that he just expected as much from them. “I wonder what that doctor said.”, I say suddenly, remembering that Alison had never told us what her uncle had told her.

“Yeah, she got angry with you before she had the chance to say.”

“I was angry. I say stupid stuff.”, I say, rolling my eyes. “You should know what it’s like.”

“Whatever he said must not have been important.”

“I get the feeling that it was.”, I say, glancing at Sophie suspiciously, as she seemed oddly quiet. “Sophie?”

“Hmm? What? You think Alison told me?”

“Maybe.”

“Nope,” she says, rolling her eyes. “I was busy practicing this spell Alison showed me. She’s trying to help me find my element.”

“Since you’re clearly not psychic.”

“I’m better at it than you.”

“I’m not a witch.”

“Alison says you don’t need to be a witch to be psychic. You just have to believe and trust your instincts.”

“Was she sorta out of it while saying it?”, I ask, rolling my eyes. “Because that seriously sounds like something out of a Tinker-Belle movie.”

“Maybe it was. She’s not entirely original.”, Sophie says, shrugging. “But so far she’s been right.”

♠ ♣ ♠

“What are you doing here?”, I ask angrily. Donovan had popped up for a surprise visit, and I honestly felt like punching his face in. “Go. You’re not welcome.”

“I just wanna make sure she’s okay.”

“She’s fine,” I growl through my teeth. “We have a deal. Now go get lost.”

“Maybe I don’t want to.”

“Go.”

“No.”

“Go.”

“No.”

“Go.”

“No.”

“GO, BASTARD!!!”, I yell at the top of my lungs. “JUST LEAVE!!! It’s easy, one foot in front of the other.”

“I know how to walk.”

“Really, ’cause it doesn’t seem like it.”

“Where is she?”

“Happily with Martin,” I say, glaring at him. “Just like it should be. Except you should be dead.”

“Hmm, nice thing to say.”

“Who ever said that I was nice.”, I growl, glaring up at him. “Now leave her alone. You got her pregnant, that should be enough.”

“I said I’d let her go.”

“You think I trust you?”

“Fine! I’m going!”, he says, holding his hands up in surrender. “Just … call me if anything happens.”

He seemed genuinely concerned, but I wasn’t buying it. Alison had warned us too many times about how he’d lie. I didn’t even believe he had given up as he walked away. That was just out-of-character for Donovan. He’d probably pop back up around midnight.

Well, looks like I just found out what I’m doing tonight. Joy.

♠ ♣ ♠

The moon illumated the night with pure silvery light. It was a warm, fresh summer night. The breeze felt good against my skin. Soon, I met up with Kevin, who I knew was doing this as a nightly thing nowdays.

“What are you doing up?”

“Donovan showed up earlier.”

“Damn it. You should guard her house.”

“No. I may not like him, but we can’t kill him!”, I say stubbornly. “He may have raped her, but he’s got some value now.”

“Either way, I want him dead.”

“As soon as she’s not hormone-controlled and gives us the signal, we kill him.”

We?”

“She’s my sister. Get used to it.”

“Damn, why do I always get stuck with you?”

“Because Alison’s a hormone-controlled sixteen year old girl, who has a vampire obsessed-psycho-stalker, and the boyfriend who tries to keep this kind of stuff from happening.”

“I always liked Martin.”

“You didn’t like him until you realized who Donovan was.”

“But that wasn’t very long afterward.”

“Whatever,” I say, looking around. “When do you think he’ll show up?”

“Around midnight. That’s usually when he likes to pop up and try to rape her again.”, Kevin says, rolling his eyes. “She’s been staying with Martin since she got back. I told him he could sleep with her. As long as he keeps her from running to Donovan, and keeps him away from her.”

“You gave him permission to get her pregnant?!”

“No. He gave me a funny look and laughed in my face.”, he says, rolling his eyes. “And she’s already pregnant. How is he gonna get her knocked up?”

“Simple. One baby is Donovan’s, the other is Martin’s.”

“Is that even possible?”

“I dunno. But anything seems possible nowadays.”

“You have some imagination.”

“You have two annoying mouths.”

“Two?”

“Look, I’m tired. You and your Greek-British ass may be able to do this, but I’m American and we need our sleep.”

“I died on American land. I think that makes me part American.”

“Okay, then maybe your Italian-Greek-Roman-Spanish-French-British-American ass is just plain annoying.”

“Italian?”

“Rome is in Italy.”

“But Vatican City is its own country.”

“Was it during the time?”

“I dunno. I was one when he was born.”

“Finally!”

“What?”

“You admitted who’s older! That proves it!”

“Proves what?”

“And you say I ask a lot of questions.”, I say, rolling my eyes. “That I’m the investigator for your life.”

“Doesn’t mean you’re gonna get any more answers out of me.”

“Who says I’m asking? At the rate I’m at, I’ll know everything about you in the blink of an eye.”

“Ahuh, sure, whatever helps you sleep at night.”

“Does it look like I’m sleeping?”

“A little.”

“What are you? Dead?”

“Why, how did you know?”, he says sarcastically. “You’re dead, too.”

“Oh, no duh, Sherlock.”

“You’re supposed to be the Sherlock here.”

“Screw you, Kevin, screw you,” he grumbles something under his breath, shaking his head. “What?!”

“Nothing. Damn, are you PMSing or something?”

“Maybe.”

“Zeus, now I got two PMSing girls up my ass.”

“Get used to it. I’m not going anywhere.”

♠ ♣ ♠

“Mmm, Kevin, wake up,” I say tiredly, shaking him awake. “We fell asleep.”

“What? Is Donovan here?!”, he yells, jerking awake, glaring around. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. We fell asleep,” I grumble tiredly, trying to fall back asleep. “Now, shut up! The twenty year old American girl is trying to sleep.”

“Then why did you wake me up?”

“Because Donovan’s coming.”

“What?”

“Alison … she told Martin. Donovan’s coming today. He’s aiming for a fight.”

“How do you know?”

“Shut up!! Gosh!”

“You’re grouchy in the morning.”

“You’re annoying.”

“Ugh, whatever, Melody,” he grumbles, pouring a cup of coffee. “Just go back to sleep before I decide to duck tape your mouth shut.”

“Good morning, Kevin.”, Alison says, skipping over to us.

“’Morning, Aly. Martin still asleep?”

“As always. He stays up half the — oof!”

“What?”

“Sorry. It’s a kicker. My baby obviously has its father’s strength.”

“Lets hope he doesn’t get Donovan’s personality.”

“Mmm, when’s he showing up?”, I mumble tiredly, trying to keep my eyes open.

“Umm, I dunno. Noon?”

“Damn it,” Kevin growls. “Zeus, I just stayed up all night for nothing?”

“Do you ever sleep, Kevin?”, I ask tiredly, lying my head on the table.

“Why do you think he drinks coffee?”

“Well, I mean, he’s over five-hundred years old.”

“He’ll be five-hundred and thirty-one on December 8th.”, Alison says, recieving a glare. “What? Chris told me.”

“You’re five hundred and thirty?”

“Maybe.”

“YOU DIRTY LITTLE LIAR!!!”, Alison yells.

“Damn these psychic nieces.”

“Love yah, sis.”

“Ahuh, sure you do.”

“What are you drinking?”

“Nothing …”

“Alison.”

“Coffee with a little alcohol in it.”, she says sheepishly. I snatch it away, giving her a look that dared her to try and take it back. “Hey! I was drinking that!”

“You can’t be drinking alcohol, Al! Donovan’s gonna be up my ass for this! Gosh, how much have you been drinking?!”

“Less than that night I got pregnant. Vampires are very demanding. He made me gulp down an entire bottle of wine.”

“And he thinks I’m irresponsible?”

“Are you kidding me? You were so drunk that you don’t even remember what happened the next day.”, Kevin says, rolling his eyes. “And you can thank all those guys you had decided to flirt with.”

“Again, thank you for saving me from all those bastards.”, I say sweetly. “Now let it go.”

“At least you didn’t get raped into pregnancy.”, Alison grumbles, walking away. “Martin should be waking up soon.”

“Does this happen a lot?”, I ask, rolling my eyes, stealing his coffee and taking a sip.

“Would you like your own coffee?”

“Why would I make my own coffee? I’m not gonna drink it all, and I can always just steal yours.”