‹ Prequel: Roaring Thunder
Status: Complete; Comments, please?; Fifquel?

Rain Gently Tapping Against My Skin

Chapter Fourteen: Welcome To The Family

It’s February 8th. Alison’s nine-months in! Laura already had her baby. A cute little blonde, dark eyes, and absolutely loves to dance! Oh, and her name is Salome. I really like that name …

Alison’s beyond stress with hers. She’s staying at the hospital in Kentucky — with her uncle John, cousin Jeff, and a lot of other family that we never knew about. Including her mom. Who does nothing but try to protect her. I’m staying here — what with being her big sis and all — along with Kevin, Josh, Sophie, Duncan, Max, David, and Martin. Of course I called Donovan. But, since Alison gave me specific orders to keep Donovan out of the hospital, he’s right outside, playing guard there.

“How yah doin’, Al?” I ask, smiling at her. “You look better.”

“I’m fine. Other then the pain I’m in because of this little demon!”

“I heard that!” David yells from out in the hallway.

“GET THIS THING OUT OF ME!!!”

“Don’t worry, Al, it’ll be over before you know it.”

“You’re not the one pregnant.”

“Hey, this could be me someday.”

“Ahuh. I’ll believe it when I see it.”

“Alison Rosetta Muse,” her mother says disapprovingly. “Hello, Melody, nice to meet you.”

Alison’s mom is a truly friendly woman. Short brown hair, no lower than her chin, and eyes that were a bit odd. They changed from brown to green, over a vivid yellow. I’ve never seen eyes like that on anyone. She was also a bit plump, with a soothing but still firm voice, an honest and friendly face. She looked like the perfect mother. I also never understood why it seemed that Alison had such a heavy southern accent, while everyone else hardly had the slightest.

“Hello, miss Muse. How are you?”

“Just fine. Wish I could say the same for that vampire outside, though. He won’t be getting in anytime soon.”

“What do you mean?”

“Mom and them have put up barriers. Unless I give the okay, nobody’s getting in.” Alison grumbles, looking down.

“We’re a very powerful family of witches.”

“It’s true,” Alison sighs sadly. “We’re raised in the old ways of magic. We’re daughters and sons of the great Hecate herself. Some of us are also part of the Muses. We’re free to use our powers as we choose.”

“The Muses?”

“The source of inspiration. Alison’s part of all Muses.”

“I’m a reincarnation of the reincarnation of Hecate.”

“Okay, wow,” I say, shocked into disbelief. “How do you know?”

“It happens every other generation.” she shrugs. “Oh, damn!!”

“JOHN!!!” Meagan — Alison’s mom’s name — yells.

“I’ll be out in the hall,” I say uncomfortably, running out the door, into the waiting room where everyone sat.

“What happened?!” Martin asks immediately.

“She’s going into labor.”

“Why is it called labor?” Jeff asks.

“Because it’s more painful than if I kicked you right this second,” I say, rolling my eyes. “Any other dumb questions?”

“Nah, I’m good!”

“’Kay.”

“Why is it painful?” Randy asks.

“I’m not answering that.”

“Neither are we,” all the other girls say together.

♠ ♣ ♠

“How long does this whole thing take?!” Martin asks impatiently, pacing around the waiting room.

“Well, Alison’s in a room full of witches and warlocks. And she’s probably in a lot of pain.” I say, absently flipping through an old magazine. “You know how Alison gets whenever she’s angry.”

“Just like Kevin. Of course. Everyone knows that.”

“Exactly,” I say, rolling my eyes.

It took a few moments, before Martin finally said, “Ohh.”

“There we go! Give the boy a prize!” I say sarcastically. “We just have to be patient. I’m personally very eager to meet —”

“Alright, Alison’s ready to see you all.” Alison’s uncle John says, smiling at all of us. Martin immediately darted down the hallway toward her room, Duncan, Sophie, Kevin, and me soon following behind eagerly, everyone else following more slowly.

But what we saw was beyond shocking. Alison wasn’t holding just one baby. She was holding two. She looked up at all of us, smiling tiredly.

“Oh my gosh,” I breathe, staring at her with disbelief.

“Everyone, meet Scarlett and Jesse.”

“You had … twins?”

“Mhmm,” she says sheepishly. “Jesse’s the voice I was hearing the other day. Say hi, Jesse!”

And the baby boy waved at all of us, snuggling closer to her. “Oh my gosh,” seemed to be the only thing coming out of my mouth.

“How did he — when did you —,” Kevin says, lost for words, too. “Hey, Jesse.”

I suddenly heard a voice in my head, saying almost scarcely, “Hi, Melody. Mommy’s told me about you.”

I gasp, shocked beyond belief. That was definitely Jesse. No questions needed. “Umm … hi, Jesse. How are you?” I say dazedly. “How does he do that?”

“I dunno. It’s sorta like how come I can see the future?” she shrugs, smiling down at her babies. “John said I can leave later today.”

“That’s great!” I say, smiling at her. “We need to get these guys used to Fallen.”

The two babies in Alison’s arms open their eyes, and suddenly the entire room fell silent, almost hypnotized. “Jesse, Scarlett,” Alison says quietly, and their eyes closed.

“What … happened?” I ask dazedly, staring at them oddly.

“I dunno. Momma and John did the exact same thing earlier. They’re gone doing some research for me right now.”

♠ ♣ ♠

“Okay, what gives?” Donovan asks angrily, as we all finally are back up at Fallen.

“Witches, warlocks, and muses,” I say, holding little Jesse in my arms, as Alison held Scarlett.

“Yes, Jesse, that’s your dad,” Alison sighs, irritated obviously. “Why don’t you show him?”

“What the —”

“Finish that sentence and I’ll punch your face in.” Alison growls, taking Jesse. “’Night, Donnie,” and she walks away. Jesse looks over her shoulder with Scarlett, both staring at Donovan.

“What the hell?!” Donovan growls, glaring at me.

“Hey, it’s not my fault that her family doesn’t like you.” I say, holding my hands up defensively. “And it’s not my fault that they’re all pure Hecate children!”

“Why didn’t you just make them let me in?!”

“Ever consider the fact that maybe it wasn’t my choice. I’m not a witch. I can’t even understand half the stuff that she says about it!” I say, glaring up at him. “If you’re such a genius, why didn’t you just break through?”

“Maybe because I needed someone in her family to let me in.”

“And you expected me to know that?”

“It’s pretty obvious.”

“Well, excuse me for not being a witch and knowing that kind of stuff by nature!” I say sarcastically. “I wasn’t raised to know magic. I’m not a child of Hecate or any of the Muses like her! I was raised to just follow my passion and shoot for the stars, like most kids.”

♠ ♣ ♠

“Okay, I need help,” Alison whines. She’s preparing for her prom. Of course she’s going with Martin. And of course I’m watching Scarlett and Jesse.

“What’s the theme this year?” I ask, rolling my eyes.

“Modern masquerade.”

“Hmm … where’s that one your mom sent you?”

“This one?” She asks, holding up the beautiful dress.

It’s heart-collared, with an amazing black before it reaches her waist with an ashy-grey belt that was tied in a bow, then it flared out with dark violet. It stopped above her knees, and gave her a witchy look — a little bit old and classic, with a modern twist. Her mother also sent some dark violet heels — they weren’t very tall, so Alison could walk in them without breaking her neck. She also got a black headband, with a blackish-purple rose and big black bow on it. I added some purple eye-shadow with a bit of black glitter, and some lip-gloss with a silver tint to it on her lips.

Jesse’s voice fills my mind, saying happily, “Mommy looks pretty. Where’s Daddy?”

“Daddy’s not here, Jesse,” Alison says sadly. She had decided not to lie to Jesse and Scarlett, telling them that Martin was their dad. Mainly because Donovan shows up every day to see them. And apparently, he lies to them, saying that him and Alison are together.

“Where’s Martin?” Scarlett asks silently. Ah, she knows that Alison doesn’t like Donovan.

“He’s going to the dance with Mommy,” I say, smiling, helping Alison put on her purplish-black mask. “Aunt Melody’s gonna watch you.”

“With uncle Kevin,” Alison says, curling her hair. “Oh, I’m so glad that I lost those pounds back in March.”

“How were you able to take that weight off so fast?”

“Oh, who cares? Everyone’s still teasing me about getting pregnant.”

“Are there still disappearing students?”

“Ugh, yes. I’ve been telling Donovan to quit it, but he completely denies everything.”

“I feel so bad for yah, Al. You’ve got two babies, an obsessed vampire, and the best boyfriend out there.” I say. “You’re lucky with Martin. He stayed with you even once you got pregnant.”

“Hey, if you slept with Josh, then he’d forgive you if you got pregnant with Kevin’s.”

“Ahuh, sure he would,” I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes. “Now, remember, don’t drink anything that tastes funny, stay with Martin, and just be responsible, please? I’m okay with you having fun, but just not too much.”

“No, Martin’s old-fashioned. He wants me to be married to him first. But he’s aiming for Kevin’s approval.”

“After all Donovan’s done to you, he has it.”

“Mommy’s marrying Martin?” Jesse’s voice rings in my head.

“No. Not yet, Jesse, but I’m hoping soon.” Alison says, smiling, kissing their foreheads. Sometimes I seriously wonder what happened to Alison. Having kids just really … changed her. “Well, I better get going. Be good, you two. I’ll be out late, okay?”

“Don’t worry, Al, they’re in good hands.”

“Thanks, Melody, I really need this,” Alison says happily, hugging me quickly before heading out the door.

“Okay, what do you all want to do?” I ask, smiling at my nephew and niece. “That doesn’t involve Mommy or Daddy.”

“Lets go see uncle Kevin!” Scarlett’s sweet little voice says in my head. “I haven’t seen him in awhile.”

“Okay, come on,” I say, picking them up. “Lets go see Kevin.”