‹ Prequel: Roaring Thunder
Status: Complete; Comments, please?; Fifquel?

Rain Gently Tapping Against My Skin

Chapter Seventeen: Dancing With Secrets Tonight

“Okay, Melody, what do you think?” Jolie asks, revealing a dress that looked absolutely fabulous.

It was white, of course considering the fact that it’s Alison’s wedding dress. Strapless and heart-collared, with little pearl swirly beading along the stomach and chest. Once it reached waist it sort of puffed out, in a fairytale-princess style. The fabric was silky, and obviously hard to rip. She was also holding up a thick white veil. I wasn’t sure if Alison was meant to see through it or not, the fabric was layered so thickly. It would only cover part of her face, keeping her lips in full view.

“I think she’ll love it. But I think you should make the dress a little closer to this,” I say, pulling out the wedding dress. “Kevin gave it to me.”

“Kevin keeps a wedding dress?” Jolie asks, skeptical. “It’s very pretty. I think I could get it, maybe make it more modern? Martin’s only seventeen, right?”

“Eighteen. He just had his birthday a week ago,” Mirabelle says sadly. “My little bro found love.”

“Martin’s your brother?” I ask, shocked, as Jolie takes the dress out of my hands.

“Yeah,” she says, laughing slightly. “We died around the same time, too.”

“Then how come he landed on Thunder?”

“I dunno. But I’m just glad Alison’s finally marrying him.”

“She’s been waiting for him to ask. And Kevin’s approval.”

“Yeah, sorry ‘bout that. I used to read him those sappy love stories when he was little,” she says sheepishly. “He turned into an old-fashioned little guy, though.”

“Maybe that’s what won her over?” I say sarcastically, looking over Jolie’s shoulder at where she was designing.

“It’s not gonna be made in time, Melody, if we want the wedding done this weekend,” she says, looking up at me with annoyance. “Do you think she’d be fine in that?”

“Yeah,” I say, shrugging. “I just wanted the dress revived. Not redone.”

“Oh, that’ll be easy. The dress itself is in pretty good condition. How old is it?”

“Over five hundred years,” I say, rolling my eyes. “I told you, Kevin gave it to me. It was Katharina’s old wedding dress.”

“That explains the odd designs I see on it. They’re witch-markings.”

“Witch markings?”

“Yeah, Alison has a whole design of them along her body. She showed me some on her wrists and arms,” Mirabelle says, nodding her head thoughtfully. “Sophie has a few, too. Alison told me she has the markings of a witch on the back of her neck. Sophie, too.”

“What about a mark of Hecate?” I ask suddenly. “Alison mentioned her a day or two ago.”

“I dunno. If you’re so interested, why not just ask her yourself?” Jolie says, rolling her eyes. “And don’t you have some wedding designing things to do with the rest of them?”

“Oh, yeah! Thanks, Joe!” I say, already heading out the door.

“Oh, Melody!” Sissy says, heading over to me. “So, I was thinking, and maybe we should keep the make-up light and casual?”

“No, Martin’s in love with her as she is,” Mirabelle says, rolling her eyes. “It would just go to waste, anyway.”

“True. I say, we just add her usual. But, if someone wants it, keep it light and not a whole lot,” I say, looking at Mirabelle for approval on that idea. Sissy nods, walking away quickly.

“Hey, Melody, who should be invited?” Nina asks, holding up a pen and paper.

“Everyone on Fallen, the Psychics, David and the Rebel Demons, then there’s her family —”

“So, around five hundred?”

“I guess?” I say, shrugging as she walks away. “Hey, Mirabelle, if your Martin’s brother —”

“Yeah?” She asks, rolling her eyes. “Let me take a wild guess, you’re wondering why he loves her?”

“She’s my little sis, I’m naturally protective of her.”

“Same here with Martin. I wasn’t so sure about her at first. But, Martin just goes on and on about her.”

“Really? What does he say?”

“Oh, all this little stuff that really didn’t mean crap to me. He’d talk about the way she’d twist her hair when she’s talking sometimes. The way her face goes red when she’s angry or uncomfortable. Ugh, then he’d go on and on about how she saw the world. I started thinking that he’s read too many love stories.”

“But you never tried stopping them?” I ask, absently looking around at everyone. “You never tried pulling them apart?”

“I didn’t think it’d last, Melody. But, when everything happened and he still loved her, I just couldn’t help but wanna murder Donovan.”

“Join the club, soon-to-be-sis,” I say sarcastically. “Kevin’s planning his funeral.”

“Alright, what’s going on?” Kevin asks angrily.

“Speak of the devil, and the devil shall appear,” I mutter under my breath. “Whatcha need, Kev?”

“What’s going on?”

“Umm, Alison and Martin’s wedding. What else?”

“Yeah, but why did Nina just tell me that some five-hundred people are coming?!”

“Because it’s the truth,” I say, rolling my eyes. “And you’re walking her down the aisle.”

“WHAT?!!”

“You’re the closest thing she has to a dad. It’s either you or Martin.”

“Fine. I’ll walk her down the frickin’ aisle,” he grumbles. “Just how long does that last, anyway?”

“I dunno. I think around five to ten minutes. But you have to go really slow with her. The veil Jolie designed isn’t made for Alison to see through,” I say, rolling my eyes. “And her dress is a decent size, too. I’m trying to convince Jolie to also give her sneakers or something, but she’s stuck on freaky tall high-heels.”

“That’ll be interesting,” he says sarcastically. “So, how am I expected to walk her all the way to Martin if she’s tripping with every other step?”

“You’re just gonna make her look like she knows what she’s doing. I don’t care if you drag her all the way, or get her to walk down barefoot. Just guide her down, and look like you care that your niece gets her happily ever after,” I say, glaring up at him. “You’ll also be doing that traditional father-daughter dance.”

“I’m not her dad.”

“Then get over yourself and dust off those dancing shoes. Because if you don’t dance with her, I’ll break more than your legs,” I snap, already aware that an arguement was coming on. “I’m not calling that bastard known as her dad. He’d just ruin this for her completely.”

“So, I’m replacement dad?”

“You sure don’t act like you have any real problem with it, so yeah, pretty much,” I say, rolling my eyes. “Do you know how to ballroom dance?”

“I’m over five hundred years old, Melody, what do you think.”

“It’s a yes or no question.”

“No. I have absolutely no clue how to dance.”

“Then you’ve just met your dancing teacher,” I say, smirking at him. “Wake up at dawn.”

♠ ♣ ♠

“Ready?” I ask, hands on hips, foot tapping impatiently as I walked into his house. I was fairly sure he had just woke-up, but I didn’t care. If he wanted to be dad for a night, he was going to learn to dance.

“For what?”

“To learn how to dance.”

“WHAT?! You were serious?!”

“Ahuh, now go grab those dancing shoes you five-hundred year old Italian-Greek-Roman-Spanish-French-English-American!” I say, pushing him down a random hallway. “Lets go, lets go!”

He comes back angrily, dressed in his normal jeans and t-shirt. I roll my eyes, sighing. “What?”

“Okay, first off, you’re not wearing that to her wedding. No matter how much you hate that tux,” I say, smirking. “Secondly, this isn’t as easy as you may be thinking it is, Kevin. Dancing is a proven sport.”

“Sure it is,” he says sarcastically. “And I bet you’re a dancer?”

“Three year champ,” I say smugly. “Now, c’mon, don’t be such a chicken,” I say sarcastically. I guide one of his hands to my lower back, the other I keep in my hand. “The guy is always the lead. So you have to at least look like you have a clue what you’re doing.”

“Are you insulting my ability to dance?”

“Yes, I am. Now, come on, one, two, three, four, spin!” He twirls me, leading me along for the rest of the song …

♠ ♣ ♠

“Move to the left: one, two, three, four, one, two, three, four, spin!” He twirls me again.

“C’mon, Melody, we’ve been at it for hours. Lets take a break,” he says grouchily, annoyed as I gave him more instructions to follow.

“No. You have to get this in less than a month, Kevin,” I say, as he dips me, pulling me back up and twirling me. “One, two —”

“Three, four, five, six, seven, eight,” he snaps, already getting the hang of the steps. “Spin,” and he twirls me. “There? Now can I go get something to eat?”

“Fine,” I say, shrugging, walking out of his house. “Hey, Al,” I say, ruffling her hair as I pass. She whacks at my hands grouchily, continuing to feed Jesse and Scarlett. “Oh, and your friend Tyler called you. Raine wants to kill him.”

“Crap,” Alison says, disappearing and reappearing just as Kevin pops up. “I didn’t think he noticed when I went missing.”

“I thought you all were friends and stuff?” I say, ruffling Scarlett and Jesse’s hair, laughing as they mimic their mother’s movements. “You all are a fiesty little bunch, aren’t yah?”

“Ahuh,” they say in sync. Oh, I probably should’ve mentioned that Jesse and Scarlett can talk now. “Mommy says we’re just like Daddy.”

“You’re more like Mommy than she’ll admit,” I say, recieving a glare from Alison.

“Oh, hey, Tyler.” “Yeah, I’m sorry —”

“ALISON ROSETTA MUSE!!!” Kevin growls, snatching her phone away from her.

“KEVIN JOSEPH NATHANSON!!!” Alison yells, snatching her phone back. “Tyler’s about as clueless as he is athletic.”

“Ahuh, sure he is,” I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes. “And I’m a fairy unicorn!”

Jesse and Scarlett giggle at that, saying together, “Aunt Melody’s funny!”

“Thanks, I’ll be here forever,” I say, bowing sarcastically.

“Sadly,” Kevin grumbles, sipping his coffee. Jesse and Scarlett giggle again.

“We know something you don’t know! We know something you don’t know!” they sing together, giggling and clapping their little baby hands together.

“And what might that be?” I ask, raising an eyebrow curiously.

“What happened when you died,” they say in chorus.

“And what might that be?”

“Umm, Melody, shouldn’t we be getting back to the thing?” Kevin asks, grabbing my arm and beginning to drag me away before I stopped him.

“No, I want to know what happened!” I say angrily.

“Nice going, Vonnie,” Jesse says, pouting.

“No! It was your fault, Teddy!” Scarlett says, pouting, too.

“Aren’t they just the best little actors?” Alison says sarcastically, as they burst out in giggles, hugging each other. “And they’re cute. Look out Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez, my babies are gonna put yah out of business.”

“And am I getting an answer to my question?” I ask impatiently.

“NO!” Kevin growls, the grip on my arm becoming painful.

“Her memory’s coming back, Kevin. Someone’s forcing it,” Alison says, picking up Jesse and Scarlett. “It’s only a matter of time before she remembers. Might as well let the sweeties do the talking.”

“We had an agreement,” Kevin growls angrily. “This can end badly if it’s broken.”

“And I’m not threatening it. Someone else is,” Alison says, rolling her eyes. “I’m already working on it, uncle Kevin, don’t worry. Whoever they are, I’ll find them.”

♠ ♣ ♠

“Long time no see, Melody,” Donovan says, leaning against my doorframe. I grab his collar, pulling him inside, slamming my door shut.

“You were around when I was killed, right?”

“Umm … yeah. I believe I was. Damn, was Alison messed-up! She was crying more than the night she found out she was pregnant,” he laughs at that, like as if it was just another good-time. “That’s why she came back.”

“Yeah, I’m aware,” I growl, baring my teeth. “Cut the crap, Donovan. Get straight to the point.”

“What do you want me to tell you? That Alison was pissed at Raine for killing you? That she set that entire clearing on fire? What?” he asks angrily. “Because I’m still not seeing what I get out of this.”

“You get to live. Kevin’s been up Alison’s ass about not telling me. But you live for the thrill of angering him, don’t you? That’s why you got her pregnant,” I say, glaring at him. “You listen and you listen good. I’ve forgiven you for raping her, for getting her dad drunk —”

“How would you know if I did?”

“Who else would, Donovan? I could tell he was a good man. But you couldn’t have it. No, a good dad equals an even harder girl. You start early, and you can take the place. Wait a few years, and you’ve just molded your wife,” I say, leaning over the table. “Just tell me what happened after that. Alison was crying, she tried killing Raine, then what?”

“Raine had left her sword. It was written in Latin. Kevin’s the only who can still speak Latin fluidly — other than myself — so he reads the sword,” Donovan says, rolling his eyes. “Anything else?”

“What else happened? That can’t be what he’s hiding.”

“Melody, trust me. You don’t wanna find out. Kevin’s hardly able to take it.”

“What is it?” I growl, pulling out my gun. “Or, so help me, I will pull the trigger on this gun and set you on fire.”

“Now why would you do that? You and Kevin have said so. I’ve got Alison in the palm of my hand,” Donovan says, smirking. “You know, you should thank me. I’m the one who convinced her it was a dream. I’ve been erasing everything bad in her life since she was born.”

“And getting rid of any competition you may have,” I growl, baring my teeth. “Now, finish the story.”

“Alright, alright! The sword said, ‘From the ancient lands, of times in the past. Two souls bound together, and when they touch, the world suffices’,” he says, rolling his eyes. “Then Alison says —”

“Soulmates,” I say, finally connecting the pieces. Everything he had described happened in my dream that night not too long ago. “Keep going.”

“Alright. Then Kevin asks who it is, and Sophie says it was him.”

“Wait, what?!” I say, my hands shaking as I held the gun tightly. “Kevin?!

“Yeah. Then Alison’s begging him to just try, so he kisses you. You can fill in the blanks after that, right?”

I stand there, hands shaking as I held the gun so tightly that my knuckles were white, my breathing coming shallow and uneven. I couldn’t believe it. It was just too … unreal. I just stood there, staring at Donovan for a few more moments, before I put down the gun.

“Go. Now,” I growl, glaring at him. “Or, so help me, I will get Kevin’s ass down here to murder you.”

He was gone in the blink of an eye. I sat down on the couch, just staring at my hands as I processed what he had just told me. I buried my face in my hands, and began to cry.