‹ Prequel: Roaring Thunder
Status: Complete; Comments, please?; Fifquel?

Rain Gently Tapping Against My Skin

Chapter Eighteen: Freaking Out

I had cried most of the night, finally falling asleep against my better judgment. The rest of the dream had come to me, and I saw it all happen. I heard the prayer Alison had muttered. I recognized it from all the times she had been saying it recently.

I lie on the couch, wide awake, a few tears still rolling down my face. The pieces all fit together. That’s why Josh stopped talking to me, I think sadly. That’s why Alison had always talked Kevin and me together. That’s what everyone’s been hiding, I think, feeling myself begin sobbing all over again.

“Melody? Are you okay?” Alison asks, knocking on the door.

“Go away!” I yell through tears, as I tried wiping at my eyes.

“C’mon, Mel, I know you’re crying.”

“GO AWAY!!!” I yell as fiercely as I could. I waited a few moments, hearing no resonpse to it, figuring that she had left.

But only a few minutes later she had said, barely audible against the closed door, “I know Donovan told you. Can I come inside and explain better?”

“Go away,” I grumble. I yell, louder, “I don’t wanna talk about it, Al.”

“C’mon, Melody! Kevin knew this would happen! That’s why he never told you!” Alison yells through the door, knocking on it again. “He’s been trying to deny that it even happened. Look, can I come inside? He’ll kill me if he hears that I’m telling you this.”

I wait a moment, debating silently before I finally said, “Door’s open.”

She walked inside sitting down on the opposite end of the couch, waiting a moment before she finally began speaking. “Mel, you know how Kevin is. He’s complicated. There’s no point in fighting him once he makes up his mind. I’ve been warning him that this would happen for years now. I’m the one who gave you the dream. I hoped it would make him want to tell you sooner. But all it’s done is make him twice the pain in the ass.”

“Why didn’t you just tell me?”

“I didn’t think it would be fair if I did. I thought he should tell you. But it’s been over four years now! I just couldn’t take it anymore!” She sighs, trying to unclench her fists. “Kevin was being unreasonable. He said he’ll tell you when he feels like it. But I knew he’d never tell you. He’s in love with you, Melody. And, deep down, I can tell you love him, too.”

“Ugh, I’m so confused right now!” I groan angrily. “On one hand, I’m angry that he hadn’t told me sooner. On the other hand I just wanna start making-out with him.”

“Ah, the signs of true love,” Alison says, laughing slightly. “I wanted to slap Martin across the face the first time he kissed me. But at the same time I wanted him to do it again.”

“I bet you’re glad you didn’t slap him.”

“No, I slapped him. Then I ran.”

“I was wondering about that little red mark on the side of his face on my birthday,” I say, rolling my eyes. “So, are you saying I should scream at him?”

“No, I’m saying you gotta give him time. He’s working up the courage to tell you. He’s been doing a pretty good job at hiding it from you, covering up with all those arguements. But, I think he’s been considering telling you. I can see it whenever he looks at you,” she says sheepishly. “He’s not Josh, Mel. He’s got absolutely no experience with girls. It’s sorta like me, in a way. He’s always getting choked up whenever he’s about to tell you.”

“Yeah, I can understand that. But, do you think he knows that I know?”

“No. I can only keep it that way for so long, too. You can send little hints here and there, but just try not to spit it out directly. Even whenever he posses you off. All that’ll do is possibly get you killed.”

♠ ♣ ♠

I knocked on Kevin’s door later that day. Hey, just because I know, doesn’t mean I’m going to become a love-struck puppy. He’s going to learn how to dance whether he wants to or not.

“Hey, I thought you said we start at dawn?” He says, leaning against the doorframe.

“I was up late last night. Slept in this morning. Problem? Didn’t think so,” I say, walking straight into his house. He gives me a funny look, before shrugging and taking my hand, his other hand resting on my lower back as mine rests on his shoulder. “Ready? One, two, three four —”

“Five, spin, six, seven, eight, dip,” he dips me low, our breaths mingling together for only a second, as he lifts me up, twirling me.

“You catch on quick.”

“During my time, this was the only dance we had.”

“And you say you can’t dance.”

“Who said I couldn’t dance? I’ve never been to a wedding before.”

“So, you thought you had to do a hip-hop song?” I say sarcastically as he twirls me. “You only dance once, if you want.”

“Then I guess we’re done.”

“Nope. During your time, did women walking around in dresses like these?” I ask, gently pulling out Alison’s wedding dress. “Because this is her wedding dress. You have to dance with her while she’s wearing this.

Damn,” was all he said. He just stared at the dress, trying to look as indifferent as possible. “And she’s expected to walk in that?

“Don’t ask me where Jolie gets her crazy ideas, Kev. It was either this, or waiting another month for Jolie to revive Katharina’s dress.”

“Wait, you gave it to Jolie?!

“Yeah, I thought that was why you gave it to me. She didn’t touch it. She’s fixing up a few patches here and there. She’s almost done.”

♠ ♣ ♠

“How yah holding up, Mel?” Alison asks, as we all sit around for dinner once again.

“Good. Did Donovan call?”

“Yeah. Total bastard as always,” she shrugs, rolling her eyes. “He wanted to take Jesse and Scarlett to France. I told him off.”

“Why France?”

“Katharina was born in France. Remember?”

“Oh, yeah,” I say, feeling my cheeks heat up embarrassedly. “Did you call Tyler back?”

“Yep. I’m gonna see him this weekend. I’ve already come up with a lie.”

“Really? Lets hear it.”

“I hardly ever change.”

“Hmm … needs more something.”

“Naw, Tyler’ll buy it. If he asks where I’ve been, I’ll say California, visiting some family.”

“And what about Scarlett and Jesse?”

“Coming along.”

“And how are you gonna explain that?

“Babysitting some baby cousins.”

“That’s very believable,” Sophie says, rolling her eyes. “Tyler’s aware of our messed-up family.”

“Told him everyday,” Alison says, smirking. “Y’all should come out and see him.”

“Alison, I’m supposed to be twenty-one,” I say, rolling my eyes. “I think having all of us fly out there is a bad idea.”

“I wanna go! I haven’t seen Tyler in forever!” Sophie says, smiling. “It’ll be good to get some Northern Kentucky into me.”

“Yeah, you’ve been looking kinda pale,” Alison says teasingly. “Don’t worry y’all, Tyler won’t suspect a thing.”

“Ahuh, sure he won’t,” I say sarcastically. “There’s nothing odd about a girl you’ve known for three years suddenly disappearing with some fake story and kids. Not to mention the fact that she has an engagement ring on her finger.”

“Stop critizing my ability to handle this. I am Hecate, by the way.”

“You’re a cocky little something.”

“Always will be,” she grins.

♠ ♣ ♠

“Okay, now when will you be back?” I ask, as I curl Alison’s hair, trying to give it those little curls she had a few years ago. It was odd how her hair suddenly went completely straight when she got pregnant.

“I’ll be back in a week,” she says, grinning through the mirror. “Gosh, I’m so excited! I haven’t seen Tyler in forever! We used to have so much fun together!”

“Remember the story you’re making up?”

“Yeah. I’m moving out here to California for school.”

“Good. You’re ready to go,” I say, smiling at her.

“I hope he takes me to the movies like the old times. Or, maybe we’ll have a water-gun fight again! Or, even better, wrestle over random crap!” She says excitedly, as she packs up a few final things.

“You’ve got all of our cell phone numbers, right?”

“Yes, and I’ll call if he asks too many questions. Or if Donovan shows up,” she says, rolling her eyes. “Jesse and Scarlett are staying here.”

“That’s a good idea, Al. Donovan’s more likely to follow you if you take them.”

“Yeah, but no matter what he says, don’t let him touch them! I don’t want him anywhere near Scarlett or Jesse!”

“Alright, I know, I know! Just go have your week-of-fun, Al,” I say, hugging her as we stand at the end of the cloud. “And don’t do anything stupid. You might be practically across the country, but Kevin’ll still kill your ass.”

“Yeah, I know,” she says, laughing slightly, rolling her eyes, flying away.

“Where’s she going?” Donovan asks suddenly. I spin around, glaring at him.

“To spend some well-needed time with an old friend. Don’t bother her.”

“How long will she be gone?”

“A week.”

“Then I’ll just take Jesse and Scarlett.”

“Nah-uh. Alison gave me specific orders to keep you away from them.”

“I’m their father.”

“But were you the one who was tortured with them? Nope,” I say, spinning around and walking away from him, into Alison’s house, picking up Jesse and Scarlett.

“Hey, Jesse, Scarlett,” Donovan says, smiling at the two. “Haven’t seen you all in awhile.”

“Mommy’s gone?”

“Yep,” I say, smiling at them. “She’s gone to her friends house.”

“Can I come to Mommy’s wedding?” Scarlett asks excitedly.

“What?” Donovan asks, shocked. Guessing Alison didn’t tell him she was marrying Martin. “Mommy’s not marrying anyone.”

“Yes she is! She’s marrying Martin!” Scarlett says stubbornly. “Mommy says she loves him, too.”

What?!

“Aw, what’s wrong, Donovan? Surprised that Alison hates you?” He glares at me when I said that. “Face it, Donovan, she loves Martin. Not you.”

“We’ll see about that, Melody,” he growls angrily, disappearing. I look down at Scarlett and Jesse worriedly, running straight to Kevin’s. Hey, if anyone knows what to do when Donovan starts threatening it’s him.

“Ugh, what?” Kevin asks grouchily, looking like he just woke up.

“Donovanjustthreatenedme!Ithinkhe’sgonnagoafterAlison!Orworse!TakeJesseandScarlett!!!” I say in a rush.

“What?”

“Donovan just threatened me! I think he’s gonna go after Alison! Or worse! Take Jesse and Scarlett!” I say, slower, but still equally panicked. “Scarlett and him got in an arguement about Alison marrying Martin, and so he gets angry and starts threatening whether or not Alison will love him! So, I’m freaking out, because what if he kidnaps her again?! Gosh, Alison’s gotten kidnapped more times than Helen of Troy!”

“Melody, calm down,” Kevin says worriedly, pulling me inside. “One thing Donovan wouldn’t do is expose himself. Or, Alison. So, he won’t kidnap her right away.”

“But what should we do till then?”

“We have to convince Martin to go to Kentucky with Alison.”

“Oh, that’s easy. Just tell him Tyler’s her ex-boyfriend. Alison thinks jealousy is funny,” I say, rolling my eyes. “But what about Scarlett and Jesse?”

“They can stay here until Alison gets back?”

“Alright, I like that idea,” I say, handing them over. “But I’m staying, too.”

“Why?”

Because I want to convince you that I should know, I think. But what I said was, “It’s easier to protect them with two people guarding.”

“Alright. Well, it’s nine o’clock. They should be getting to bed?”

“Yeah …” I say taking Scarlett. “Alison packed a suitcase incase I wanted to move them to my house …”

“Umm, I’ll come with you.”

♠ ♣ ♠

I sat down on his couch, watching Spongebob Squarepants with Jesse and Scarlett. They giggled at the little yellow sponge, singing along to every word as the theme song restarted once again. My damp hair was cold, but Kevin’s too-big clothes kept me warm. I think he thinks I’m stealing his clothes. He wouldn’t even be half wrong about that. His clothes are comfy, though …

I felt myself dozing off, but Scarlett and Jesse’s happy voices woke me up again. Dang it, Spongebob! Take a frickin’ break, I think, irritated. I yawn tiredly, as Kevin walks back into his house.

“Where’s you been?” I ask tiredly, looking up at him. “I thought you said you’d be back in a few minutes.”

“I practically dragged Martin all the way to Kentucky. He takes Alison’s word above his own,” he grumbles, plopping down beside me. “What have you been doing?”

“Spongebob marathon. I took a shower a few minutes ago.”

“Yeah, I can tell,” he says, rolling his eyes. “I’m not gonna have any clothes left if you keep stealing them.” I told you so.

“Yeah, but you’re clothes are comfy,” I whine childishly. That’s it! I’ve been spending waaaay too much time with Jesse and Scarlett, I think, rolling my eyes. “Once your clothes stop being so comfy then you can stop worrying.”

“Ahuh, whatever you say,” he says sarcastically. “C’mon, you two, lets give aunt Melody a break,” he says, picking them up, carrying them down the hallway.

“Thank you,” I say quietly, tiredly. I sprawl out on the couch, quickly falling asleep.

♠ ♣ ♠

When I woke up, I was in a new room. I wasn’t in the living room where I had fallen asleep. I was in the room I had been in a couple months ago. I shrug, walking into the bathroom and beginning my morning routine. I walk out of the shower, a towel tightly wrapped around my body, going through Kevin’s drawers once again. Hey, this time I returned his clothes. He can get over himself.

I pull his shirt over my head, trying to remember the past events through my tiredness. Donovan … I think, sighing as I walk out of the room, bumping into Kevin immediately.

“Wow! Good morning,” he says, catching me from falling. “You don’t look happy to see me.”

“Maybe that’s because I feel like I just walked into a brick wall. Are you sure you’re not related to Superman?” I ask, rubbing my sore head. “Either that or you’ve been doing nothing but working out for five-hundred years.”

“Which one’s more believable?” There’s his British accent! I had been wondering about that for awhile now.

“Superman,” I say, smiling at him. “And when are you gonna tell me what happened when I died?”

“Well, let me think a moment. There’s Alison’s stalker-vampire is threatening everything she cares about, and will possibly kill the one thing that keeps her sane.”

“So, I’m taking it as a no?”

“Good guess,” he says, as he walks with me through his house.

“What … what if …”

“What if?” he asks, looking up at me, obviously startled. I finally realized what Alison had meant about him wanting to tell me. He looked so close to telling me right then. Or, more worried about the fact that someone had told me.

“What if I knew?”