Status: Slowly Active.

No One Can Touch Us

Giving Up

With a sandwich in hand, Elizabeth sat on the edge of the pool in her back yard. She had one leg in the water, swinging it back and forth casually as her russet eyes were glued to the small waves she was creating. Jimmy had disappeared, his last words being something about checking up on his friends before he suddenly disappeared. Elizabeth was fine with it; she needed some time alone anyways. There was a lot running through her mind, Jimmy being one of the many topics her mind was focused on. She liked him, it was so obvious, yet he was a ghost –her guardian angel- so it would never work out.

“I feel like the Little Mermaid when she’s singing that damn song about being part of your world...” Elizabeth groaned, finishing off her sandwich with a few last bites.

Even being alone provided restlessness and thus she stood up and headed over to her back deck where a beanbag waited for her to get comfortable in. She was going to watch the sky transition from its current blue to the darkness of the night, and she didn’t care if she ended up with a blank state of mind.

“Elizabeth, someone’s on the phone for you,” her mother said as she stepped out through the glass doors, the white cordless phone in her hand while she gave her daughter an expectant look.

“If its William, tell him I’m really busy,” Elizabeth sighed while keeping her eyes glued to her lap. She was sick of William and all his manipulative bullshit. She knew ignoring him wasn’t going to work, if anything it would all blow up in her face, though now she lived for the days when William was absolutely not mentioned in her life.

“You’ve been ignoring William for weeks now,” Her mother scolded, “Though I’m not gonna get in your love life. And it’s not him, it’s a girl named Gena. She says she’s the girlfriend of a boy named Zacky, and that you know him.”

“Oh, yeah I know Zacky,” Elizabeth smiled, “They’re both friends of mine.”

“Alright,” her mother said with a small smile, handing her daughter the phone before heading into the house.

The first thing that crossed Elizabeth’s mind was: why would Gena be calling me? They weren’t close or anything and it had been a while since the last time she’d seen Gena – Zacky as well. Sure, she talked to Brian and Michelle on the phone from time to time, and even Val had taken up the habit of calling her on random nights just to talk – Matt occasionally joining in on the conversation, yet she hadn’t heard much of Gena. Elizabeth really did like Gena, from what she remembered she always had a large smile on her face which melted your heart, though she was relatively quiet.

“Um, hello,” Elizabeth said skeptically, chewing on the inside of her cheek as she looked up at the blue sky.

“Oh, Elizabeth,” Gena gushed, “Val gave me your number, I hope you don’t mind.”

“No, not at all,” Elizabeth chuckled, “feel free to call me whenever.”

“Good,” Gena chuckled, “I was slightly nervous since we didn’t talk much the other day.”

“Hey, no worries,” Elizabeth assured her, nodding slightly even though she knew Gena didn’t see it. “So, what’s up?”

“Well, Zacky is rounding up the guys to come over to our house to spend the night. It’ll be like a huge slumber party!” Gena gushed with excitement, making Elizabeth smile, “please say you’ll come!”

“Well, sure,” Elizabeth laughed, “I’m up for distracting myself. When is it?”

“Tonight. I know it’s of short notice though if you need a ride I’ll come pick you up and everything!” Gena explained.

“You really want me to come over, don’t you?” Elizabeth laughed, standing up from her seat on the bean bag and slipping past the backyard’s glass doors.

“As Val said last time: you’re part of the family,” Gena said with a small tint of a smile coating her sentence.
“Well, I gotta check in with my mom and-“

“Oh good! I’ll be over in about 20 minutes!” Gena exclaimed, quickly rushing a ‘goodbye’ before she hung up.
“I didn’t even give you my address,” Elizabeth muttered, shrugging as she turned the cordless phone off and set it on its charger on the kitchen counter top.

Elizabeth figured that she might as well start packing a change of clothes. She had a feeling Gena was way too excited and would be at her doorstep in a matter of minutes rather than the 20 she’d said initially. Casually she walked through the living room, down the stairs, and into her bedroom, looking around until she spotted a large leather purse. She needed pajamas, a change of clothes for the next day, underwear, and being the paranoid person she is she packed her swim suit.

“Hello my love,” Jimmy cooed, appearing on her bed with a small smile on his face.

“Oh, guess what?” Elizabeth said with a small smile, picking out an outfit for her to change into as she kept her back t Jimmy.

“I hate guessing, so tell me,” Jimmy laughed.

“Gena called me a few minutes ago. We’re gonna be spending the night at her and Zacky’s place,” Elizabeth said with a small smile, spinning in place and now having a pair of jean shorts and a black V-neck shirt in her arms.

“But I just came from there!” Jimmy sighed, “and by the way, it was not pretty. Lacey came over and nearly killed Johnny, which kind of off set the mood. But hey, I guess I know why Gena suddenly got happy and disappeared.”

All Elizabeth could say was, “Whose Lacey and why would she want to kill Johnny?” as she walked into her bathroom, leaving the door ajar just enough so she could hear Jimmy though not enough so he’ see her change.

“They broke up a while ago, though I think they tried and get back together, and by the looks of Lacey’s face, shit hit the fan,” Jimmy chuckled, “right before I left she threw a bottle at him which ended up busting up his bottom lip.”

“But Johnny seems like a nice person,” Elizabeth reasoned as she stripped down, “he must have done something huge to get that Lacey chick to beat him.”

“She was yelling about other women,” Jimmy said with an evil cackle, “but Short Shit would never cheat on her, so I don’t know.”

“If my boyfriend was in a band that had a large female fan-base I’d probably get jealous,” Elizabeth said honestly, making Jimmy smile, “but hey, that’s just me. Some people handle jealousy differently than others.”

“Preach sister!” Jimmy exclaimed, making Elizabeth laugh loudly as she stepped out of the bathroom, her dirty close absent as it had been dumped in the dirty clothes hamper which was by the shower.

“So, a sleep over at the Baker’s house?” Jimmy smirked.

“... They’re married?”

“No, but they’ve been together long enough to be considered husband and wife,” Jimmy smiled, the door to Elizabeth’s bedroom bursting open seconds later as Gena walked through, a small smile on her face.

“C’mon Elizabeth, Brian’s got the car running, and I already talked to your mom,” she smiled, “I think she likes me. She told me I could come over for dinner whenever I’d want.”

“Yup, she likes you,” Elizabeth chuckled, sending Gena a smile as she gathered her things. “Did she also tell you she’d bake you cookies?”

“Yeah.”

“She totally likes you.”
Gena giggled, pulling on Elizabeth’s arm to drag her out of the house. All the while, Jimmy laughed loudly as he followed behind both girls, spotting Brian sitting in his black car once they were outside.

Oh, I shall have fun with you, Gates.”