Bringing in the New Year With Me, Myself, and I

Bringing in the New Year With Me, Myself, And I

I sat on the porch and smoked my last cigarette savoring each and every intake of smoke into my lungs. I should of known better to grab another pack from my mom before she left with Chase to this New Year party she bragged about. Only the most important people wouold be there. Anybody who was anybody would be there. She never said these to me, but always around me.

I think she was trying to make me feel worse than I already was. I had no plans and no one to hang out with and celebrate the New Year with. And she rubbed that fact in my face and all I could do was try to ignore it as she boasted about her big party everytime I entered the room.

Well I wasn't alone, technically. I had Pumpkin, this cute soft grey kitten I had found earlier that day wondering around starving. Pumpkin was a lot like me in a lot of ways. He was shy, nervous around people, and kept to himself. I had this hunch that he was abused. Which is why I guess he trusted me almost right away. He sensed we were the same. That and once I fed him some left over chicken he never left my side.

I took the last drag on my cigarette and put it out on the black concrete. I stood and went back inside where I found Pumpkin sitting patiently by the door waiting for me to come in. I smiled at him and patted my leg to get him to follow as I walked to my room. He followed me timidly into my room.

I shut the door behind him and walked passed a few unpacked boxes to my bed. Well more like my air mattress. I surveyed my room absent mindedly thinking about actually unpacking a few of my boxes. I shrugged. There was no point to unpacking them at all. I was pretty sure my mom was over this Chase guy and was ready to move on again.

You see everytime my mom got over one of her 'boyfriends' as she called them she would pack up and leave, dragging me with her. Bringing me with her was pointless really. She never looked at me anymore. Sometimes I wonder if she ever loves me anymore. Who knows or even cares? But part of me still hopes that she loves me, somewhat.

But the point with me never unpacking is because we never stay with the same guy for more than a few months, at least this is my hope.

I never like the guys my mom dates. They all beat me. Sure they start out nice to win points with my mom, but once they see she don't care shit about me is when they begin to have their fun. They start with a slap here and there, but the it turns into a punh or something worse.

Which would explain the bruise on my left cheek. Chase, mom's new 'boyfriend' punched me yesterday because he was fired from work and blamed it all on me. I was used to this by now. I had to be, it's been happening to me since I was little.

Pumpkin meowed and pulled me out of my thoughts. I smiled at him and put my hand slowly to his head. He flinched lightly when my hand came in contact with his head. I smiled sadly at him and continued my motions to pet him. I wanted to let him know I would never hurt him. Apparently he got the picture because he leaned his head into my hand telling me to continue. I smiled lightly.

My phone rang and scared Pumpkin. His eyes went wide and he darted behind my box in the corner of my room. I sighed, just when I was getting closer to him.

I reached for my phone and looked at the caller ID. It was Danelle. I groaned, not the person I wanted to talk to. But I knew if I didn't answer her now, she'd call later and wouldn't leave me alone until I answered. So I opened my phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey girl!" she shouted on the other end. I heard her giggle at the people in the background who were making a bunch of noise.

"Hi."

She giggled again, "Hey, sorry. James is determined to get me in the pool. But anyways, why arn't you here partying with me? I miss ya!"

I rolled my eyes, "I told you I had to look after my neighbors kid tonight." Lie number one....

"Damn! On New Years Eve? Thats not cool babe. Hey, listen, Rick wants to talk to you. Hold on a sec." I heard shuffiling on the other end and then Rick.

"Hey sweetie! I miss you. Too bad you gotta babysit that kid. I really wish I could of brought in the new year with you! I coulda gace you a new years kiss! But no. You chose some snot nose kid. But whatever, I'll have to get you later."

"Can't sorry Rick. I have things to do. I do work ya know." Lie number two....

I heard him chuckle, "Sure babe. Whatever you say. But don't worry I won't forget my girl."

"I'm not your girl Rick."

"I love ya too babe. Listen I gotta go. Some, erm, person just dove into the pool naked and um, I should get them a towel..."

"Bye Rick enjoy."

"Bye babe." I heard the line die.

I put my phone down and rolled my eyes. More like watch this naked skinny girl swin. I bet anything it was Danelle. That would be like her, miss attention seeker.

I layed down on my bed and stared at the ceiling. Ya, this was boring. But it's what I've done for the past New Years and it's not likely to change anytime soon. I groaned and rolled over onto my side. I glanced at my clock which read eleven forty-seven. Great.

I closed my eyes and planned on sleeping through the New Year so I would be able to let it go by without knowing it ever happened. I would wake up and do my daily routine and begin to clean the house. The already spotless house and then find something to entertain myself.

That all went down hill when the front door opend with a 'bang' and shut with a 'bang'. I sat up immediatley and stared at my door preparing for the worst.

I knew it was Chase. I knew it was. Something must of set him off to make him this mad. I haven't seen him this mad since the day my mom threatened to break up with him. Then it hit me, that must of been it. My mom finally broke up with him. Crap was I in for it.

Chase slammed my door open and glared at me, "You!" he pointed his finger at me as he walked to me slowly. "You did this to me on purpose! You little rat. You told your mum to break up with me didn't you?! Huh?" he stared at me long and hard, "Answer me!"

"No," I mumbled softly, not daring to move an inch.

"That's not what your mother said!" he slapped me hard sending me flying side-ways onto my bed.

I bit my lower lip and kept myself from rying out in pain. He hit me where he had punched me just a day ago.

"You," he kicked me in the stomach hard, "told her," he kicked me again, "to break," he kicked me again, "up with me!" he screamed and kicked harder than he did the last three times.

That made me cry out in pain.

"Shut up!" he pulled me up by my hair and then threw me into the nearest wall, which happened to be near a lamp. So when I hit the wall I also fell into the lamp.

He spit on my face, "That's what you get you filhy piece of shit. You don't deserve to live or to even see the New Year. Bye Andy, have a nice fucking life." he laughed and stormed out of my room slamming the door behind him.

I didn't bother moving. It would just create more pain. More pain wasn't what I wanted or needed.

I heard a small meow and I looked to my right. Pumpkin was slowly walking towards me. He looked frightened. I smiled lightly, "H-hey Pumpk-kin." I coughed lightly.

He rubbed my hand as if asking me to pet him. I looked at him sadly. I couldn't pet him, not this moment. But then I realized he wasn't asking me to pet him, he was asking if I was OK. I knew this because he licked my hand lightly and then curled up against me. I smiled lightly, what a great friend. My only friend.

Tears leaked out of my eyes as I checked the clock. It changed to twelve. It was the New Year.

Thanks mom, happy New Years...

I passed out from the pain. I never wanted to wake again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well there we have it...yay.

Happy New Years guys! I hope yours was better than mine...then again I suppose anything is better then watching your two baby sisters and then bringing in the New Years alone...Which was inspiration for this. But then again, I had a good time writing this. I hope you enjoyed.

Sorry if anything isn't spelled correctly. I have no spell check on this computer, or grammer for that matter... =/ Plus it's almost 3 am.