Status: Contest Entry;Completed

To Sing the World Goodbye

"And I Am Right Beside You"

I pulled open the heavy double doors of the hotel. I walked through the lobby and pressed the ‘up’ arrow in front of the elevator. Within a couple of moments, the elevator sounded and the door to the right opened. I stepped in and pressed the number five, being as that’s the floor I was staying on. The ride was short, and I soon found myself walking down the hallway to my room. I pulled the room-card out of my bag, I had completely forgotten that had been on my shoulder, as I reached the door. I slid the card through the slot, as the light on the door turned green. I turned the handle and entered the room.

Angélique was lying on her stomach, flipping through the channels on TV with the remote in hand. She stopped momentarily as I stepped in.

“Bonjour there Char,” She gave me a sideways smile. “And how was your day?” She moved over on the bed so I could lie down as well.

I gently placed the stuffed monkey that was in my bag, onto my bed –next to Angélique’s, and then I laid beside her.

“Good. The guy at the fair’s name is Eric. He’s a really sweet guy.” I nodded, “How was your day? I’m so sorry I didn’t spend it with you.”
“Nah,” Angélique spoke, “It’s alright. I had a pretty good day, just hung around for the most part.”

The two of split into our own beds and watched some MTV. Soon though, I found myself holding thatstuffed monkey tightly to my chest as I drifted into a peaceful slumber.

I woke up the next morning at about ten o’clock. Angélique was still fast asleep; no surprise there. I untangled myself from my covers, and glanced at my cell phone, finding I had no unread messages or missed calls. I walked quietly to the bathroom, and got myself ready; teeth brushed, face washed, hair done, and makeup completed. Then, I got dressed, sealing the deal. I walked over to the midsized wooden desk near the window of our hotel room. I took the complimentary pen and notepad, (I knew this was bound to come in handy sooner or later.) I scribbled out a note for Angélique, letting her know I went on my daily coffee run and to do a little wandering.

I left the hotel, and walked the short distance to the Starbucks I had come to know. I entered the café and ordered my Caramel Frap, and got a donut to go along with it. I grabbed my items and made my way to a corner booth; to the right of the entrance. I set my sugary goodness on the round table, as I pulled my legs up under me on the cushioned stool. As I drown down the last bit of my coffee, a familiar head of blond hair entered the shop, with three boys on his tail. Just as I saw them, they, well specifically Jordan, saw me. He nudged Eric, and then pointed over to my table. The boys ordered their drinks, and headed to my area. Each pulled a random seat over and sat.

“I hope you don’t mind the company,” Eric laughed, taking a sip of what I assumed was a hot chocolate.
I shook my head.

The set of newly introduced teens chatted it up.

We then decided to head out, and have one on the town.

Around dinner time, Marc, Jordan and Jared chose to split, leaving Eric and I alone, similar to the night before.

We walked down the chilly street, glancing in store windows as we did so. Eric’s arm was draped around my shoulders, pulling me closer.

As our feet grew heavy, we reached an area when the previously slim river swelled into a grand lake; sandy shores, overpowering trees, just deep enough waters, and even complete with a tire and rope swing. My face brightened like a kid finding presents under the tree on Christmas morning as we approached the area.

Eric rubbed the back of his neck, “I found this place last night; after you went in.”

I nodded, giving him a bright smile.

Let’s go swimming.” I declared after a minute.

“What?” His eyes widened. “It’s freezing outside, and we don’t have swim suits...” He faded off.
“So?” I laughed, lightly punching his shoulder, “Live a little Staal.”

He gave me a look, game on.

My body flew over towards the vine like rope, hanging off of an old willow tree. I grabbed hold and stood on a far back rock.

One, two, three. And I threw myself forward, jumping off into the darkened waters.

I propelled my legs up, floating on my backside. My eyes connected with the stars, seemingly gently placed in the night sky. A splash of water in my face though, clouded my vision, and a laugh escaped my lips.

I spit out the water that had made it’s way into my mouth and gave an offended glare in Eric’s direction, as he tried to frantically swim away from me. Continuing to laugh, I swam after him. As I approached, I “threw” some water in his direction, which he ducked, and then returned the favour.

A full on water fight soon emerged.

About an hour of hanging around in the water, I started to shiver. Taking that as I cue, we retreated to the beach portion of the newly found area. I laid, looking up at the stars; completely ignoring the clothes glued to my body, and the sand finding it’s way, sticking to everything belonging to me. Eric moved, laying beside me. I squished over; a little closer to the boy beside me. I placed my head on his chest, and listened to his musical heartbeat as his breathing matched my own.

A small mumble escaped Eric’s lips.

“Hmm?” I replied, not taking the effort to open my eyes. Or my mouth to speak.

He let out a small sigh before replying, “I’m going to miss you.” Cue the pause, “You know, when we both go home tomorrow?”

I nodded, feeling the same way.

A peaceful silence then overcame us; almost savouring our last night together. My eyes scanned the stars, looking for a shooting one; but it never came.

I was awoken by a slight shake.

“Charlotte?” The soft voice spoke into my ear, “Char?”

I mumbled a ‘mhmm,’ and fidgeted; getting more comfortable.

“Charlotte, we have to get back into town.” The voice I know recognized as Eric’s said. “It’s three am; we both fell asleep.”

My eyes fluttered open, to see Eric’s face mere centimeters away from mine. He placed a gentle kiss on my lips as we both got to our feet. I picked up my phone from it’s place on the sandy shore, I had received several missed calls and frantic texts from Angélique, wondering where I had been, and was at this late hour. I quickly responding back saying I was fine, and would be back soon.

We retraced our steps, from the beach back into the small town.

Too soon, I found us standing outside my hotel.

“Eric,” My voice strained.
His face dropped to the ground. “I guess I’ll see you around?”
I nodded, hoping.

The boy looked up from the ground, and his eyes locked on my own. He pulled me into a passionate kiss; us interlocking grips around each other’s bodies with lips forcing us together. His tongue ran gently over my lips, and I opened them slightly allowing our tongues to battle. I grew closer to the boy, if that was even possible. When the need for air overcame us, our mouths grew apart, showing our swelling lips. We kept in each other’s grip, and I laid my head on his chest, as his was placed on my shoulder.

A valet, dressed in green and gold, exiting the hotel broke us apart. We stood still, about a foot apart, before Eric leaned in, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead. With that, he turned on his heel, and starting walking away.

“Goodbye.” My voice strained, as I turned on my own heel to walk into the hotel.

Later that morning, I awoke to sounds fumbling and a slight bang. A groan escaped my lips as I opened my drooping eyes. Angélique –surprisingly awake before me, even with my early morning return- paced the room, packing all our belongings she could find.

Hearing I was awake, she turned to me. “Up and at ‘em Charlie, we’ve got to leave within the hour.”

I sounded a soft sigh, as I too got up and started packing.

After we finished the dreaded packing, we got ourselves decent. We brought our luguages down the elevator, and out to Angélique’s silver mustang; the car I was terminally jealous of. We threw our suitcases and bags into the backseat and trunk, as my friend got in the drivers’ seat, and I sat shotgun.

I watched out the five windows, and windshield as we left the town I had grown fond over, the past few days. My eyes caught notice of the small beach area; probable: only Eric and I knew the whereabouts to. I watched the broke up sidewalks fade, and the arcades grow smaller. I could have sworn I saw a memorable blob of blond hair –with three lookalikes nearby- as our car flew past.

Are you there?

My body lay belly-up in the comforts of my own room as I think back that time so long ago. My eyes scanned the photographs hanging prominently on my walls. Pictures of: the Ocean, even if I reside a thousand of miles from the tide, New York shopping malls, early parades and noisy arcades.

I sucked in a deep breath through my nose, and let it out loudly through a puff. The room greeted my sensitive ears; silence aside from the soft chirp of crickets, the gentle sway of the wind, and the softness of my own breath.

My heart still hurt when I thought of that weekend we were in love.

Silence, even through my thoughts once again greeted me. I lay in uttermost loneliness. Things stayed this way for about half an hour before a gentle tapping at my window broke me out of my spell.

I rose to my feet almost robotically. My body moved across the floor to my window, where I then pushed aside my curtains to look out.

Small pebbles repetitively hit my window.

Suddenly, a light seemed to be shone across my life, despite the darkened situation I had fallen into through the past few years. The “kid on Christmas day” look fluttered into my body as a familiar face caught my eye.

Awake to take in the view
Late nights and early parades
Still photos and noisy arcades
My darling, we’re both on the wing, look down and keep on singing!
And we can go anywhere

Are you there?
Are you there, or are you just a decoy dream in my head?
Am I home or am I simply tumbling all alone?
♠ ♠ ♠
Word count for this chapter is: 1,857.

Tell me what you think,
And wish me luck, (L)