Words Like Smoke

words like smoke

Her breath caught in her throat as she was lifted higher and higher, the air around her getting colder by the second. She felt a shiver run through her body as she wrapped her sweater around her petite body. Eyes wide, mouth open slightly in an 'o' shape, her eyes never strayed from the beautiful sight before her. She was high about a field of flowers. Hundreds, thousands of them in every shape, size, colour and smell. It was simply beautiful. Majestic, even. The field began to pass by but she didn't stop waving to the on lookers until they disappeared, taken over by treetops. The long forest grew for what seemed like hours but passed by in merely minutes.

The hot air balloon soon came upon a clearing near a pond. She turned to ask the driver to take her down and gasped to see no one was there. She was all alone in the basket. As-if the basket had a mind of its own, it gently dropped to the ground right beside the still pond. She sighed a sigh of relief as she jumped out of the basket and was surprised to feel the softest of moss on her feet. The shoes she had on were gone, disappeared. Her clothing was gone too, replaced by the purest and prettiest flowers picked from the field she had just flown above. They draped across her breasts, down the side of her stomach and then down around her bottom like underwear. Her body shimmered to no light, the paleness luminescent in the darkening woods.

She was surprised to find her hair had grown and was down at her waist now in soft, brown waves. Two thumb-sized flying girls that shimmered and sparkled carried a crown of flowers and draped it onto her head, giggling as they took hold of her thumbs and gently pulled her with them, urging her to follow them. She was led to another clearing deep in the forest where many creatures sat, stood and played. She had just missed a wedding. The little pixies pushed her into the dancing crowd and she suddenly felt a sense of panic, suffocating as-if she were stuck under water. She clawed at the air as her body was pushed and shoved.

Suddenly the sense of panic disappeared as she felt strong arms on her shoulders behind her, coming around to hug her stomach. He was warm and safe. She sighed, calm closing around her body as she leaned into his large, muscular frame. She turned to look at him but he was gone as fast as he had come, as-if he were never there. His touch still lingered on her skin as the bodies kept moving around her.