‹ Prequel: The Letter V
Status: Obviously, since this Part II of the "V" series, I'm not going to start it until the first one is done. :)

Evolution of V

Prologue

Snap.

I felt myself jump in my skin as a twig crunched beneath my boot. It was dark, too dark to see much beyond my face. I swallowed hard and gripped my bow tighter, holding the curved, taut wood to my chest, finding some comfort in a familiar feeling. To say I was scared would be an understatement – I was in the midst of a war, armed with only the element of surprise and a really, really good aim.

I saw a rabbit dart across my path. I gasped, faltering with the bow. Come on, Violet, get it together.

I had spent months in training to be an assassin, and for what? So that I could screw everything up because a bunny startled me? No. I still didn’t think I had the courage to take a life, even if I didn’t know who it might be, but I pushed the thought to the back of my head.

I heard a cry of pain. Gunfire. Yelling.

Ambush.

I whirled around on my heel and turned back the way I came, ducking down low and making as little noise as I could. Once I came to it, I dove into a small clearing, a few hundred feet away from where I’d heard the battle break out, and took cover in a bush nearby. I stopped for a millisecond to catch my breath, leaning my head against a tree and letting out a breath I didn't know I’d been holding.

Regaining my focus, I grabbed my bow and skillfully pulled out an arrow from my quiver, lining it up.

I heard footsteps within a few feet of me – human footsteps.

My mentor had said that my target would wander from his army. He had a habit of doing so, unwilling to fight in the midst of the soldiers, and instead searching for assassins in the black forests to take down. I could hear his breath as we passed, and I was surprised at how calm he seemed. It was nothing new to him. Just as this thought passed in my head, the footsteps stopped. He was about twenty feet in front of me. I let myself smirk. Killshot.

In one fluid motion, I was standing and my arrow was drawn, aimed perfectly at the heart of my target. I locked eyes with him, and I nearly felt my own heart drop out of my chest.

Nathan.

And I closed my eyes, and released my arrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Teaser, to get y'all interested :P