The Execution of the Heart

Alec

Walking along with the stranger who just saved my life I finally was able to relax again. My heart was no longer pounding inside my chest and my breath was even. Never in my life had I come so close to death before! That sword had almost struck me. And I'm sure I would have died today if this man wasn't there. I owe him so much- but I have nothing to give.

This man- he was terrifying. In any other case I would be trembling in his sight. He was so cold, full of no emotion. For a better word, I'd say he was dead. He was a walking corpse with no soul. Dressed head to toe in black and a sword clutched in his hand was a mercenary of death. Gazing at his skin I saw several scars.

"What are you looking at girl?" he asked in his harsh rough voice. I jumped looking to his face; he was still staring strait ahead.

Turning my own head forward I followed silently not answering his question. It would be better not to say anything; he seemed to be the type who would become furious over the smallest of things.

"Girl?" he said quietly.

I looked up with a nod. He wasn't looking at me so I decided to finally speak, "Yes?"

He didn't show any reaction to my voice. But he spoke, "Why were those men after you?"

"Oh that," I said with a sigh. That was a crazy story. It started from a trip to the city and ended with me giving myself to that stupid General. But I didn't want to speak of all that, and why should I tell this stranger everything. "My family got into some financial troubles with their... boss. So he took me for payment instead. I escaped." That would be enough for him. I'd let him mind wrap around it and come up with what he would want.

He let out a deep chuckle. "Those foolish men find themselves entranced by a little girl like you and loose focus on things that actually matter."

"And what matters?" I asked with slight interest. Not that it mattered to me, and I didn't want him to think it did so I looked away into the forest. Trees, trees, and guess what? More trees. The forest was full of green life, but it terrified me. There was a feeling of dread here, and I constantly felt as though I were being followed. Shivering I moved closer to the stranger.

He was still thinking of an answer. "Nothing matters."

"Well that's sad. If nothing matters then you must be pretty depressed or something! Don't you have any dreams or desires? Or someone to care for? Someone to love?" I said with bright hopefully eyes.

My stranger grunted and walked faster, farther away from me. Jogging I followed close behind him. "Slow down please! I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings or something!" I said while panting. I was out of shape.

Slowing to a walk he looked back at me and smirked. Taking my place next to him I began to catch my breath again. "Girl?" he said again.

Girl? Girl? Who is he calling girl? This guy was full of himself, and he made it apparent that he thought I was below him. "My name is Julia. Call me Julia."

I expected for him to give me my name. That would have been nice at least. But he just grunted and kept moving. "Where are we going?"

"Girl, be quiet now. You're giving me a head ache." I shut my mouth. Looking at his sword I knew that saying the wrong thing could cause my life to end quickly.

After another billion hours of walking, okay only about two, we emerged into the bright sun. Stepping out of the dark forest I felt as if a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Looking over to the stranger I saw he was already moving again. He headed towards what looked to be ruins. Quickly I followed after him.

"What is this place?" We were standing before a building which was torn in half. There was no roof and its rubble scattered the near by ground. I walked closer looking inside the building. There was nothing, only dust that covered the rocks. New green grass began to grow from the floor. "This is nice."

"Shut up girl. This is or rather was the city of Alance. This is a holy place now, so please behave yourself." He walked into the city, or the remains of it. Following close behind I could feel the sadness the city held. Everything was burnt to the ground, only a few stone structures remained. This place had been long abandoned.

Ahead of us stood the only building in my sight with a roof, the church. I'm guessing that the poor people who lived through the tragedy protected the church as the rest of their city burned to the ground. He walked inside, and I followed quickly.

Taking long strides he made his way to the front of the church where a broken alter lay. In his hand was a handful of flowers; I hadn't seen him pick those. Kneeling down he placed them at the base of the alter and he began to pray. I just stood there in the doorway watching him. Who knew he cared about anything?

He glanced back and waved me forward. I stumbled up the isle, broken benches sat on either side of me. Leaning down next to him I began to pray also.

He wasn't praying anymore. He sat on the back of his heals and stared at me. I just stared back. "Do you even know why you're praying?" he asked slightly amused.

I shook my head no and he let out a sigh. "We're praying for the lost souls of the town. Practically everyone died when the fire broke, and the rest were slaughtered by me."

"Why do you pray for them if you were the one who killed them?" I asked in a deaf voice. I watched his face carefully.

He was laughing, which threw me off. "I was only following orders. I was to make sure no one survived, that the secrets burned with the city."

"Are we done here then?" I asked with hope. I wanted to return home to my family, my mother was probably torn to pieces over my capture. The General was still out there though, and I didn't want him to return to my family. No, he wouldn't, not without his lackeys.

My stranger shook his head. "No, we will stay here for the night. Then I will take you to a city where you won't die." Standing up he went to one of the few standing benches and laid down.

Following his actions I went to lie down on another bench. The wood was covered in moss and fungus. But I still laid down. Staring up at the ceiling I noticed many holes in the old rotting wood. This place was probably once grand, but now it was a graveyard, a forgotten memory.

"Girl? Why are you still with me?" my stranger asked.

I sighed. "Because I needed help. I've never been this far away from home before, and frankly I've no idea where to go. Going with you just seemed like a good idea," I admitted sheepishly. My stranger seemed baffled that I was still with him, I couldn't understand why. "What's your name?" I asked.

Over where he was I saw him sit up. I sat up also looking at him. We were on opposite sides of the church. "Why?"

"I just wondering. It's very weird not knowing. Why, what am I suppose to call you? I suppose I could make up a name. You seem like a Jacob," I mumbled holding my finger to my chin. He shook his head while rolling his eyes and laid back down. "Sebastian?"

"Alec," he said with a grunt.

I thought about the name over and over again in my head. "I like it. But Sebastian would have been better."

"Get your rest. I will leave you behind if you're too tired," he stated. I shut my mouth and laid back down. It wasn't even dark out, but I suppose if I tried to sleep I would be able to eventually.

Staring at the ceiling I began to memorize the pattern of beams. Questions swirled in my mind, and I had no idea of what I managed to get myself into. I had no idea of what this man was capable of, but here I was letting my guard down several feet away.

"Why did you kill them?" I thought of the question and managed to mumble it out loud.

He scoffed. "That was my order, to kill them."

I rolled my eyes I examined the holes in the ceiling. "I know that. But there has to be more. Orders are just that, you were the one who chose to follow them."

I could hear his clothing rustle as he moved his body. Listening I heard him stand, the creaky wood gave his movements away. Sitting up I saw him walking towards the door. Getting up I was about to follow, but he glanced at me sending daggers with his glare. Pausing, I considered staying on the bench, but I continued on.

"Girl, stay here."

"Where are you going?" I asked in a whisper. He opened the door letting a cool breeze in. Outside the sun was setting, most of the world was covered in shadow. "Are you leaving me here?"

He took one step away. "I don't know. If I am you won't see me again, if not, then I will be here in the morning." And he walked out slamming the door. Tears fell to the dusty old wooden floor as I stood there staring at where Alec once was.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting away from that girl was my first priority. For some odd reason she asked a lot of questions. That last question, why I had killed those people, that was hard to answer. Most would just let the subject drop, but she wouldn't. She was brave enough to talk about it; however, the coward I am had to run away.

Walking down the old broken roads I had a serge of memories flooding back into my mind. There was so much to comprehend. Once these ruins were filled with bright happy people, and we slaughtered them all.

Our commander stood tall in front of us on the outskirts of town. The five of us circled around him taking every word of his in like it were gold. "These people all have learned far to much information. It is not their fault, and they should not suffer for it. Kill swiftly." We all nodded and he walked off leaving us to our work.

Kain stood in front of us, he towered over us being the tallest. Kain would have been scary if I hadn't personally known him. The man had dark hair and I large scar running down his face. His muscles were huge; I was surprised he could even swing that big sword of his. "We will execute in one hour. Take the hour to get to know your way around." Nodding I started towards the bubbling city.

In the city I was surprised to find everything running like a normal city. People were out and about in the market. Children were laughing and playing.

Around me I could see the other men spreading out; they were just as dead as me. To my disgust Kain was eyeing up the women.

Walking forward I bumped into a small little boy. He held a stick in his hand as if it were a sword. He looked into my dead face and ran off crying.

The city was quite small, and the buildings were all cheap. But I could see why, why they had to die, the commander was right by not making them suffer. I just wished there would be another way.

"Would you like to buy some fruit?" a young and remarkably beautiful woman asked me. I stared at her for a minute, she seemed serious. "Would you-"

"I don't have any money," I said harsher than intended. She smiled at me anyway.

Holding out her hand was an apple. "Take it anyways, you look hungry." I did and she smiled as I took a bite. The girl then walked away. She baffled me. Her kindness and courage to come right up to me.

Walking down the street eating the apple I was shocked to see such an old familiar face, I had known that girl. Dropping the apple to the ground I turned and went to search for her.

But I stopped. It was too late. She was already dead; I couldn't let my feelings get in the way. They would only hold me back. Her head would be the price I pay for being weak.


After I killed that girl, I actually felt bad. Never in my life had I felt any emotion when killing. Maybe that's why the girl is still living, why I'm allowing her to stay with me. Sitting down on the edge of a broken wall I held my head in my hands. The girl couldn't stay, I had a problem with my temper, and she would get the fault.

My old life was like a ghost story, I was dead now. Kicking the stones beneath my feat I watched the dust settle. If I killed this girl I had a feeling I would feel remorse. She had done nothing to deserve death, she only wanted my help. Being so close to her is unnerving, she makes me nervous. Everything with her is a new experience to me. The girl doesn't fully understand what I am capable of.

Standing up I moved to a grassy spot and lay down. There was no question in my mind that I would go back to the church in the morning. I just needed to escape her unwavering questions until the morning. The sooner we left the better; I wanted to get rid of her as soon as possible. Closing my eyes I drifted into a light sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting in that empty church was torture. He was either coming or he wasn't, I could guess the solution to this by the flip of a coin. "Heads he comes back." Throwing one of the gold coins that sat in my pocket up I watched it fly through the air. Twisting and turning it hit the stone floor with a light clatter.

"Tails." I frowned and picked the coin back up.

Looking around the old church I was afraid. Cob webs hung in the corners, and shadows lurked every spare inch allowing spaces for monsters to hide. Outside it was dark; I couldn't see a thing out the broken windows. "I guess I've got to be brave." Moving out the church doors I looked around and decided to walk farther into the city. Hopefully Alec had headed this way.

The day was finally gone, and night had landed. Its dark wings covered the lands leaving no trace of the sun. In the dark it was hard to see my path, and the rubble caused me to stumble forward. The surrounding woods were filled with distant sounds of monsters. The howls of wolves were closer; the shadows seemed to jump around making me think that the wolves were closer than they sounded.

This city must have once been great. It had to have been beautiful, broken sculptures laid everywhere. Such a shame to have all of this in ruins. I imagine that it would have been a lovely place to live, I would have lucked it. Taking a look at the heap of stones that once made a cozy home I could picture little flowers around the house which once was two stories tall. I would have lived there.

This morning when I woke up and dressed in my favorite blue dress I had no idea my day would have turned out so wrong. Who would have thought such bad luck could come to one in such a pretty dress? Now my dress was torn badly and it was stained with dirt.

The distant roar of thunder made me scurry faster into the ruins of the city. The darkness covered the sky. A storm was coming in and fast. A strong gust of wind rustled past me throwing my hair and skirt up. Shuddering I rounded a corner and hid against a broken stone wall.

I was surprised to look over to the woods and see Alec. His body was propped up on his elbow and he stared at me with such intensity that I had to look away. Would he be mad that I had come looking for him?

Holding my hair down against my head I ran over to where he was laying. I crouched down to the ground on the wet grass. It was covered with the early night's dew. "Come back to the church, it's going to rain," I yelled over the howling wind.

He glared at me. "Girl, by now you should be aware that I am fully capable of taking care of myself." He looked away from me and to the crumbling ruins behind us.

I frowned and grabbed his free hand pulling him up. "But I'm not capable of taking care of myself."

To my surprise he stood up and began pulling me with my hand still wrapped around his. He looked down glaring at me. "I know. Now be quiet and follow me."

As we made our way back to the church it began to pour, and it was impossible to see even ten feet in front of me. Alec was guiding me, dragging me throughout the ruins. My heart was pounding in my chest as we ran. I let out a laugh and Alec glanced back at me with curious eyes. I smiled brightly at him. He looked away, but I wasn't to sure he hated me at the moment.

He burst through the church doors and pulled me inside. Water dripped through the holes in the ceiling but it was nice in the sanctuary, we were safe from the rain now.

Alec threw my hands away and pushed me towards the pews I was lying in before. Without a word he walked briskly over to the bench he was before and laid down. Confident he was staying I laid back and stared at the thundering sky.

As rain poured through the openings in the ceiling I found myself pondering thoughts of the man lying only feet away. What was he doing all the way out here on his own? He was a mystery to me, and I wanted to solve it. As I drifted towards slumber I replayed the memory of his surprised expression as I fell into his arms for the first time.

The next morning I awoke to the bright sun shimmering down apron my face. Stifling a yawn I sat up. Looking around I found myself in an empty church. My heart pounded as I looked around for Alec, but he seemed no where to be found. "Alec?" I called out but received no answer. My heart pounded strongly in my chest. Getting up I rushed out the front doors.

The sun blinded me as I stepped out into its warm glow. Covering my eyes with my hand I called his name out again, "Alec!" Looking around outside I didn't see him. I began to run towards the path cutting through the forest.

"Calm down girl," came his husky voice causing me to freeze in my tracks. Spinning around I saw him leaning against the church next to the door I had just barged out of. "Are you ready to go?" He began to slowly walk towards where I stood; his sword was strapped to his back.

I nodded a yes. "Where are we going now?" Looking into the dark forest I became aware of the danger that lurked several feet away. Knowing my luck we would run into something. Alec strutted past me brushing past my shoulder.

He glared at me. "Are you coming?" Quickly I rushed to his side and we entered the dark forest. "We're going to the nearest village where I can get rid of you." And I thought he was starting to warm up to me, the jerk. He was so cold. Looking at his face I wondered how he really felt. Looking at him was like looking at a statue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Oh! It's so pretty!" I said with a bright smile. Before us laid a beautiful scene of untouched nature. There was a small creak trickling down a path of rocks. Several wild flowers grew about the area and the sun shimmered through the leaves leaving a warm glow. Walking forward I knelt down to the waters bank. Alec stood next to me, he was watching me. From his face I read no emotion, but I thought he looked happy.

"I don't understand what's so special. It's just a stupid creek," he said in a very board tone. I rolled my eyes standing up so that I was closer to his face.

Grabbing his hand I caught him by surprise. His eyes widened as I started to pull him away from the area. "Look at it from farther away. I think you need the whole picture." He seemed to be more at ease when he heard the reason for my actions. Standing him several feet away we both turned to look at it. It was like a picture, everything seemed to be perfect, and all the colors blended together like a water color. "Beautiful isn't it?" I asked softly. Looking up at his face I was surprised to find him staring down at me. Blushing I looked away.

He coughed and pulled away from my grasp. My cheeks reddened even more as I realized that I was holding onto his hand still. "Let's move on. It's only about a two hour walk from here." He walked ahead.

Standing there I stared at the beautiful little creek. When life passes by so fast, moments like these seem to stand out the most. Just the simplicity of the little things, thats what makes life last long.

"Come on girl!" called Alec. I turned with a bright smile. He was standing in the shadow of the forest.

"I'm coming!" I sang aloud and skipped over to his side. Not waiting for me to catch up Alec started walking down the path. "Wait up!" I called out. He barely slowed down as I ran faster.

"Next time I might just leave you so keep up," he grumbled.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was always a chance something bad could happen. And I knew it in the pit of my stomach, but at some point I just didn't care, because part of me craved something other than the empty pit in my chest. Love changes you and you don't even realize that it's happened until its being ripped from your arms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the village of Heisei is busy about noon. All the vendors are trying to sell their morning catches from the ocean. Located on the coast it's the perfect spot for sea food. I hate sea food.

With a scowl I tried to avoid the old man pushing a fish in my face. The cold dead eyes stared at me, their tiny black pupils following me everywhere. "Buy fish! Only 10 pounds! Best catch of the morning and I'm selling it to you for a good deal! Come on pretty lady!"

Waving my hands in front of my face I tried my best grin. "No thanks! I'm good! And plus I don't have any money on me!" But he still went on about the fish.

Alec made a loud grunt and grabbed my arm just pulling me away from the man. Looking back I saw the man was not fazed, he just went onto his next possible customer. "Why do I even bother with you? I should have just left you there!" Alec grumbled under is breath.

Staring at the ground I felt bad that he hated me so much. I hadn't done a thing to him yet he was being so pushy and mean! "I'm sorry. I just didn't want to be mean."

"That man didn't care; he just wanted to sell you his goods. Now come on, I will take you to the inn and leave you there. Someone is bound to help you," he said unhappily.

That hit me like a brick of ice. When we reached the city I was happy, I was almost compelled to bend down and kiss the ground. Finally we had reached civilization, but I didn't realize he would be leaving me. Alec had been my savior, and now he was leaving me. What if no one else wanted to help me? Looking around at the crowd my eyes met many strangers staring at Alec and I as we made our way through the busy market. Here I was a strange girl with nothing to offer. No one was going to help me for free, and I was still confused why Alec had done it.

"What if no one helps me? Are you going to just leave me in a strange town all by myself?" I asked in disbelief. Furrowing my brow I looked up at his plain face.

He made a huff. "Would you rather I leave you in the forest? Your chances of help there are even slimmer."

From the looks of where we were headed I would only find trouble. Everyone looked like scum; each and every person that crossed our path was covered in dirt. From the looks of it most of them had to be sailors. Many were eyeing me up. Pushing my body closer to Alec the men seemed to look away, but the tougher guys obviously weren't intimidated. "Are you afraid girl?"

"No," I mumbled shyly. Looking up at him I found him glancing down at me.

Alec sighed and grabbed my hand pulling me right next to his body. "You're a bad liar. Try not to show everyone else that, they might take advantage of you."

"Oh," I sighed. His hand was rough, but I enjoyed having him hold my small hand in his. He was my protector. "I'll try."

"In here," he said with his silky voice. He tugged on my hand and we turned into The Sailor's Saloon. The place was part pub, part inn, and one hundred percent scum ball headquarters.

Alec released my hand and I stopped inside the door looking around. There was no way Alec was leaving me there. But as I looked to Alec I found him gone, and the room's eyes were on me.

I smiled backing up but I hit something hard. Turning I saw a man grinning down at me. His hands were firmly gripped around my waist and he began to drag me in. "Well boys, looks like we've got ourselves a little fun today!" All the dirty men's laughter erupted throughout the room and I began to tremble before them all. I truly hate Alec.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave comments! I love that!