The Execution of the Heart

ARG! It's a Pirate's Life for Me

The clinking of glass filled the background of the room. Of course one couldn't look over the roaring laughter, belching, and trash talk of the sailors. Crunching up my nose I tried to wiggle away from the horrid man that was holding me. "Let me go!" I screamed. Kicking wasn't working and it seemed to be only making him angry.

The man pushed me forward towards the bar. Sitting down on a stool he pushed me to another man. "Have some fun Jaromir. I'm going to have a drink first."

This time this man smelled, and I was only seconds away from getting sick. Jaromir was covered in dirt and tattered clothing, when he smiled he only had five teeth. Trying to pull away I was caught by surprise as I stumbled forward, falling flat on my face. There was an uproar of laughter.

Sitting up I noticed that everyone was watching me and laughing. "You guys are creeps!" I screamed throwing my hands down on the wood planks making the floor. Standing up I stormed towards the door. Several of the men grabbed me as I strode past me. As soon as I was almost out the door another guy grabbed me. Turning to slap him I stopped. This man was huge! And he was wearing far too tight clothing. Leather did not look good on fat men.

"Ah come on, little," he hiccupped, "lady. I've got a room upstairs." This large man managed to wrap his chubby arms around me and pull me close to his chest. He reeked of booze. Placing my hands on his chest I tried to push away.

"Look fellas! Ove got himself a girl!" one man shouted. Everyone in the bar was cheering. I really had to get out of this place. "And she's turning a bit red in the face!" I rolled my eyes and kneed the man holding me. That did the trick and he let go. There was only one reason I was turning red, and that would have been from the lack of oxygen.

I had enough so I turned quickly running out the door. The men were hollering for me to come back. But when I got back outside I realized it really was no difference where I was, because no matter where I went here I would run into the same grimy people!

Looking around I had no clue of where to go, no clue at all. So I just started to walk down the street towards the water. Everyone was watching me, I could tell. And who could blame them? I would be doing the same thing if I lived in an entirely grimy city and a clean nice girl came striding through town. "I'm lost," I muttered staring at the ground. Even the dirt looked dirtier here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rapping his fingers against the grainy wood Alec waited for his associate to return with his package. It was agreed on that his uncle would send him a large sum of money in turn for the small favor Alec was doing.

A barmaid scurried into the room and left again, dropping off a large pitcher of booze. Alec pushed it away with a scowl. Drinking was a weakness, one he may regret if he was caught off guard.

"So may I ask who that young woman was that you entered with Alec? She seemed far too young and dainty to be left alone downstairs. Go get her and bring her up here, she's more than welcome to sit with us," cheered the older man. Marching through a set of swinging doors the host finally revealed himself. Older, more middle aged, graying hair with a full beard the man hobbled on a peg leg over to the table where Alec sat with an envelope. Sliding on the table he placed it in front of Alec.

Alec scoffed turning his head, carefully slipping the envelope away in a hidden pocket. Thinking to when he entered the bar a strange feeling settled in the pit of his stomach. "She'll be fine. I found her in the forest and agreed to bring her to a town where she could find someone else to help her." Taking the glass of beer he took a swig, just in hope to remove the odd sensation.

The host laughed lightly grabbing a glass for himself. "She didn't seem like your type anyway! Too nice and pretty. And I bet she would have liked you back too if you didn't give her that cold shoulder that you give everyone else."

"Why would I want a woman anyways?" Alec pondered. Wrapping his fingers around the glass he stared coldly at the odd man who sat before him. "She would just cause trouble anyways."

Laughing away the old man leaned back in his chair. Kicking his feet up he took another drink of beer. "Life is not just about strength and power. What are you going to do why you're an old wrinkly man like me?"

"I really do hope I don't live long enough for that to happen," Alec replied with a smirk. Taking another drink he cringed at the sour taste.

The old man slammed his drink on the table. Standing up he strode to the door and looked out to the bar, "Your woman just left. Alec," he paused with a sigh, "I don't care what you do with your life. But I do wish you did care. Maybe you didn't care for that woman, but there is something out there that you need. Find that, and maybe then you can find yourself. But don't let the only good thing to happen to you walk out the door, and then drown your sorrows in beer. It's not a good life."

"I'm not like you. Give my uncle my regards." Standing up Alec pushed past the old man. Looking into the bar he did in fact see that the girl was gone.

Julia...

Shaking his head he walked out of the bar without one glance back. I wonder where she went. Rolling his eyes he emptied his head of such foolish thoughts, the girl meant nothing to him. Turning towards the docks Alec strode with dignity, a ship would be far quicker and Alec was sick of the forest. In forests he could run into anything, including silly little girls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I watched him, a dirty sailor probably with matching dirty thoughts, walk right up to me. "Do you need some help miss? I could point you in the right direction? Or if you need to go somewhere I'm sure my captain can help make some kind of arrangement?" he politely asked.

Cocking my head to the side I thought of if I really wanted his help. Sure, I did need it, and I really shouldn't be that picky... "No thank you!" I said quickly and hurried down the harbor. Wasn't there one decent looking man here? Even woman?

I was drawing too much attention to myself, and I didn't want that. All around me was the smell of fish. To one side of the street was one fish shop after another and on the other side was docks leading to the ships full of fish. I just kept walking, even when the town started to thin out, eventually leaving me on an empty beach. Taking off my shoes I walked on the white sand.

"This is the wrong way," I sighed. Stopping I turned to face the open ocean. A soft sea breeze blew across the water's surface sending a nice mist at me. I smiled wiping my hair back. From this point I was able to watch ships sail across the empty blue water. The sky and ocean seemed to merge into a big blue crystal. "But maybe the wrong way is the right way," I mumbled throwing my legs in front of me and letting gravity take care of the rest. My body flew down into the warm sand and I lay back staring up at the clouds.

"Now that's the way to think!" Looking above my head I stared at a man, dressed similar to my previous companion, completely in black. His hair was hidden underneath a black bandanna tied to his head. "Name's Barney. And stealing's the game! Barney the pirate at your service. I do my best to help the prettier side of the community with my talents."

Squinting I stared up at his face. The sun shown brightly in my eyes. "And your talents would be?"

This sent him dancing around me in the sand clapping. His feet moved in a weird pattern. "Being extremely helpful to beautiful girls. Now-" Barney threw himself down in the sand next to me. He laid there with his head propped up on his hand. Staring down at me he gave me a sexy wink making me blush. "Do you need my services?"

Giggling I looked away. "I do need to get back home. But I've no money, and all I have with me is this silly dress. And it's ruined of course!" Sighing I held my hand to my cheek looking out at the open water. It's shimmering blue waves danced in rhythm with the wind.

Before I could comprehend what was going on Barney had me up on my feet and he was pulling me back to the docks. Dragging my feet in the sand I glared at the back of his head. "What in the world do you think you're doing? Release me this instant!" I screamed.

Laughing Barney did so causing me to fall back into the sand. The sand flew up all around my face sticking against my skin. "Now Miss, I'm only trying to help. My ship isn't that far away and I bet my captain is sleeping so we can sneak you on without him knowing! And I can find you some new clothing. There's a boy about your size on our ship, he probably wouldn't mind if we just borrowed a shirt and pair of trousers. So you coming?"

Nodding I picked myself up and grabbed Barney's hand again as to not get lost in the mess of fish and dirty sailors. While some of the men wooed at me, others nodded respectively towards Barney.

"Barney? Can I trust you?" I asked. Smacking myself in the head I thought of how stupid I must have sounded. And of course he wouldn't say no. I'm such a stupid little girl, with such stupid little delusions that Alec will come back for me, it's just not something to happen.

"No, but I won't hurt you. How's that for a promise? Now where ya headed?" he asked. Craning his neck around he smirked at my frightened face.

Trying to maintain my composure I answered his trivial question. "The capital, Orrell. Can you at least get me near there?"

"It may be awhile, but we do make port in that region. Sevens day hike from port though."

Thinking I tried to figure why such a short distance would take such a grand time. Doing equations and estimates in my head I pictured the entire journey in my head. From where the coast was and where the city was it should only take a day. Looking up I noticed we were now walking out on the rickety wood towards a large boat. Men were working all around it. Many of them hoisted goods onto the ship with rope. "Barney? Why would it take so long to reach the city? I can't quite figure it all out."

Laughing Barney climbed up the plank to the deck of the ship. Carefully I followed making sure not to slip and fall into the water. "Wouldn't want to walk through the forest in that region. The forest is a bit thicker there and one wouldn't want to walk into that mess. Who knows what lurks about there! Ah, for you I recommend a slightly safer passage, a mountain trail."

"Right," I mumbled.

Barney pulled my hand and took me down below into the cabin. As moldy as it was, it had a lively sense. Every room I looked in had beds for the crew; a few of the rooms actually had men in them.

"Here we are!" Barney chimed pulling me into an empty room. "Sit here, I'll get the clothes and let you change." Sitting down on the bed which Barney pointed to I made myself comfortable. Rummaging through the clothing Barney filled his arms with all sorts of attire. Some of the things he threw back to me. Leaning down I picked one off the floor. Holding it up I saw that they were pants that would run down just past my ankles. Standing up I pulled them on under my dress.

"And a shirt," Barney said as he handed me a white cotton shirt. Looking at it I saw that someone had carefully sewn blue thread around the sleeves. "And a hat." A white sailor's hat was placed upon my head by Barney, who stepped back to admire it. "You look like a true sailor! I'll let you change into your shirt. Come up on deck when you're done dressing."

The door slammed and I was left alone on a pirates ship. Carefully I slipped out of my dress and folded it carefully, leaving it on the bed. Leaving my corset on, I slid the loose shirt over my body. Now alone, I took the time to examine the room. Curiosity was getting the better of me and I peeked into the chests laying in front of the small beds, or rather cots. Frowning when I opened the first one I found only clothing, they were only storage trunks. With a heavy sigh I closed the trunk and left the room as I found it, only with an old ragged dress now.

Walking back through the dimly lit halls I felt out of place. "What am I doing?" I mumbled ever so lightly. Missing the soft presence of home, I wrapped my arms around my body. My life was always so dreadfully boring; I hated that small farming village. I hated the capital. But now that I'm gone, away from the norm, I find that maybe I didn't hate everything as I would have thought. I have to let go of it. Now I'm a pirate, a want to be pirate, but a pirate none the less. Looking up I saw the sun peaking through the door to the deck, "A pirate."

As I walked up the stairs to the deck I found that I smile was plastered onto my face. "And do you look like the prettiest pirate in the world or is it just my old eyes?" Leaning against a large mast pole Barney was waiting for me, a sandwich in his hands. Placing the food in my hands he walked off to the rail.

"You're not old," I commented. Taking a bite of the sandwich I was consumed with the desire to throw up, but held back as to not be so rude. Scanning the harbor I notice that all the other ships were like this one by which all the sailors were working away. The docks seemed to be less crowded from high up. Looking down I saw the same assortment of dirty people, but that wasn't what I was looking at, or rather for. For what was Alec.

Noticing me discomfort Barney wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Don't worry doll, I make sure you get home safe."

"It's not that really," I sighed, "I was just hoping- never mind. A silly fantasy in my head, that's all."

Raising an eyebrow Barney squeezed my shoulder. "You sure that's all?" Nodding I tried to let it all go.

"Barney!" roared another voice from within the ship. Both of us turned at the same time to look at the door of the cabin. The door flew open in a matter of seconds and out came a brawny man, his body covered in tattoos and only pants. Storming over to us he lifted Barney by his shirt collar. This odd man, whom I quickly realized was the captain took one glance at me and punched Barney in the stomach. "What do you think you're doing bringing a woman on board without my consent? I should make you walk the plank this very instant if I were not such an understanding fellow!"

"Sir, I'm sorry. I was just about to leave," replying I began to make my way off the ship. Wrapping his sturdy hand around my arm I looked back a bit taken. "Release me!"

Dropping Barney the captain grinned. "Well I suppose she can stay. She can room with me."

"Sir I-" protesting but the captain held his hand up. "Sorry miss! But we're about to set sail." And the captain walked away just like that. Standing there I gawked at him, did he really do such a thing? Blinking a few time I snapped out of my trance.

Staggering beside me was Barney. "The captain will forget about you soon. Let's just wait for departure. It won't be long."

Nodding I turned and leaned against the rail I watched as the sailors now hurried about. Not setting foot on a boat before I found it all quite complex. Ropes were everywhere and I didn't see why a boat would need so many. Behind me the sailors began to run back and forth, bundles of goods in their arms, so I held myself close to the ship's edge. "I wish I could stay here," I mumbled as the wind picked up. Salt and scud was probably mixing in with my loose hair. Holding the hat tight to my head I began to move up to the bow. All around me people were working hard, preparing the ship for departure.

Trailing after me was Barney. "We could make some sort of arrangement if you wish. I'm sure you'll fit right it." Smiling I looked out at the water.

"I'll think about it." Tossing my head back I let the wind take my hair.

Barney stood next to me, his hair being whipped back as well. "Storm's coming in. Hope the ship's well prepared."

"Why not stay for another night?" I pondered.

Laughing Barney began to walk to the back of the ship. Following I listened to his light hearted laughter. "We are pirates. Can't stay in one place for too long, it's dangerous."

Sitting up on the edge of the rail I noticed a large grin on Barney's face. "You like being a pirate."

"Love it my dear," Barney said as he pulled forward a crate. Sitting down he watched as the crowd passed us by. "Seeing so many different places, fighting in the face of danger, and adventure. What more can a guy ask for?"

Silently humming I watched his face carefully as he probably sifted through his many memories. Breathing slowly I hummed aloud. "Well," I replied carefully choosing my words, "There's always love, a warm family, and friends. Arent those important."

Running his hands over his head Barney let out a huff of air. Thinking of my words I smiled, I'd gotten to him. "I guess, but they don't matter to me. All my friends are here, and I don't have a family. Who needs love though? A know where I can get that cheap if I need it."

"You're impossible!" I screamed throwing my hands down. My body weight shifted by doing so sending me backwards over the rail. Everything seemed to be moving so slowly, I managed to notice everything. Barney shot up to catch me and a pair of eyes connected to mine for only a short moment I'm not sure if it was really real. And then, as if I were only meant to connect to that one moment, I was in the water with a splash. It was shallow, my body hitting the sand sending it all about. The first thing I was able to notice was the salt burning in my eyes and lungs. Kicking up I surfaced. A hand hung before me and I grabbed it.

Hoisting me up I looked down in the water to see a large cloud of sand still floating about. "Thanks for helping me out," I mumbled.

"I knew you liked to find trouble, I just didn't know that you would be stupid enough to get help from pirates."

Stumbling backwards I was caught in the arms of Barney. Pushing me onto the ship I looked backwards with a grim look. "Ship's taking off, come on!" Barney urged. Sighing I looked back for one final glimpse to see an empty pier. Even before I stepped onto the ship it was moving forward and I had to jump to make it on.

Looking at the end of the pier I saw Alec. His face contorted like he was mad. Smiling I waved at him and he just rolled his eyes. I didn't let this hurt me.

All in one swift movement he had left off the dock and grabbed one of the loose ropes hanging over the edge. Terrified I leaned over the rail to see if he was still there. "What's wrong?" came Barney's voice from behind me. Shaking my head I leaned farther over only to come face to face with his.

Hoisting himself up and over he landed with two feet on the ship. Standing there he hand his hand hovering over the hilt of his sword while glaring at me. "Why did I feel the need to make sure you didn't do anything stupid? Because sure enough," looking around he made a disapproving face, "you would be one to end up on a ship of pirates. Now come on." Holding out his hand he waited for me to take it.

Staring at him I looked past his shoulder to see the town slowly shrinking. "Go where? Did you forget you jumped onto a moving ship?" His face dropped and he looked back to see the same thing. "And now we're stuck here. But thank you for coming back for me! I knew you had a good heart!"

Coughing Alec smacked his head. "Girl, you truly are something. And that's not a good thing." Walking off I was left standing there staring at the small town with a very confused Barney.

Turning I scurried off to where Alec had stormed off to. But since it was such a small ship, there wasn't anywhere to hide. Walking around the large mast pillar I saw that he was making his way up a set of stairs towards the wheel. Captain jerk was proudly standing behind it and he looked to be whistling. Already Alec had a tight grip on the sword.

"Alec!" I yelled running the rest of the way. Reaching him I wrapped my arms around his arm. By now everyone one the ship was staring at us, most probably wondering who this brawny stranger was. The captain too, had taken notice of the new stranger on his ship. "Alec, don't cause a fuss."

Quickly the captain had a small dagger pressed against Alec's neck, and Alec's sword pressed against his. "Ah, strong and swift, but you're no pirate. No, not even a sailor. State your business now or I'll have you walk the plank."

"You're not one to be spiting out orders," Alec scoffed. Stepping back both men withdrew their weapons. "Now I want you to turn this ship around and let me and the girl off at port."

Laughing the captain made no attempt to change the ships destination. Instead the captain turned and strode to a chair placed on the upper deck. It looked more like a thrown and he was trying to be a tyrant. For the most part I think it was working, the whole crew seemed to worship the ground this guy walked on.

Alec strode forward with his sword in hand. Tapping the blade to the captain's chin Alec grinned, "Come on. Let's see what you're really made of."

Fear was written in the captain's eyes. "No. Now don't be foolish lad, this ship has to move now because there's a storm brewing. Slaughter us if you may, but you will never be able to steer it back to port by yourself, and you would never make it through the storm alive. So," he grinned as he swatted the blade away, "I'll let you stay on my ship on a few... conditions."

Smiling I pulled on Alec's arm for him to drop his sword. "One, the girl will be mine for the voyage." And the smile dropped. Cowering behind Alec I watched my new enemy with fear and caution. Vulgar thoughts ran through my mind making me cringe. "Two, you can do chores for us. Nothing much, washing the floor, cleaning our dishes."

"I thought pirates were supposed to be dirty," Alec said with a smirk. Hitting his back I caught a quick glimpse of his attention when he turned back to glare at me. "And the girl is mine. Sorry to ruin your fun." Alec let out a wicked laugh and twirled his sword in the air before putting it in its sheath. Striding forward Alec grasped the collar of the captain's shirt tossing his out of the chair.

"Right," the captain groaned sitting up. I'm sure he'd find a bruise in the morning. "Anything else we can do for you then?" Did a sense a note of sarcasm?

Smirking Alec just put his arms up behind his head. "No, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride."

"Great," the captain groaned. Smiling I held my hand up blocking the rays of sun as I stared forward. Dark clouds hung in the horizon. "Girl," Alec bellowed causing me to jump. Turning I saw his contorted face again. He made it look like it hurt just to look at me, and I frowned at the thought. "What happened to your dress?"

Holding up the fabric of my shirt I pondered at his question. Peeking up at him through my lashes I saw his curious look, "Don't you like this outfit?"

Looking up I saw him close his eyes and lean his head back. "No, it's fine."

Sighing I matched right up to him. Standing in front of him I stared down at his simple face. Who knew I would grow to love a stranger so quickly? Wind throwing my hair about I stared at him through several strands of hair. I guess I wouldn't call it love then. Since it all happened so quickly. Just a desire, a dream.

Taking my hand I ran it through his hair, his eyes carefully placed on mine. "I don't want this to end."

"Girl, get a grip," Alec said with a sigh. He removed my hand from the tangles of his hair and gave me a push. "Why don't you do something helpful for a change? And you!" Alec shouted turning his head in another direction, "Mind your own!"

Wander around the ship was different now, now that everyone feared me, or rather Alec. On the lower deck I found Barney, he lazily sat with his feet hanging over the edge of the boat. Smiling when I met his eyes I sat down next to him.

"Why aren't you with your boyfriend?" Barney scoffed his friendly sprit vanquishing.

Staring down at the sparkling water I thought of the sudden change in Barney's attitude. "He's not my boyfriend. I don't think he likes me at all. I'm just a burden to him."

"If he didn't like you then he wouldn't have jumped onto a moving ship. Or helped you out of the water. So cheer up," Barney chimed. Laughing I looked up at his simple face. He was smiling back at me. Grabbing his hand I held it up to my face. "What are you doing?" asked a startled Barney.

Smiling I traced the lines of his palm. "I'm reading your fortune! So hold still silly!" Looking over at his face I saw a curious expression. With my finger I traced a long line, "Look, this means you'll live a long life. And this," pointing to another line, "Means you'll have a long love life as well. Strong fate, oh! You're very lucky!" Giggling I set his hand back down.

"Really?" Barney leaned back on his elbows looking out at the sky. "What's your's say?"

Holding my palm in front of his face I smiled. "Can't you read palms?" Barney shook his head and I smiled. "Well I guess I'll tell you. This line here means that I will have a short life. I've got strong spirit and love, and my fate is particularly strong in my young age." Sighing I laid back with Barney. Closing my eyes I tried to soak up the rays. "Death won't be that bad will it?"

"Nah," I heard Barney chime, "As long as you don't let it be bad, it won't."

"I have a bad feeling," I mumbled. "Something bad is going to happen."

Rolling to my side I opened my eyes to find Barney gone. Looking around I saw he was up and moving towards the bow of the ship. Shaking my head I closed my eyes again. "But I'm not scared." Here everything seemed so peaceful. The ocean is filled with nothing, and that nothing leaves us with nothing but peace. Above I hear the calls of strange birds and all around me are the words of sailors. I'd like to stay and be a pirate for awhile. No rush in getting back to the ordinary.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would like to give a special thanks to Sheepy who has left comments on this story! I love it, and would like to point her out to everyone! I've never had anyone say they didn't like the long chapters before either! lol. Well I'll probably update again tomorrow as well, since I already have all the chapters done!

Hope you enjoyed! ~Alice