The Execution of the Heart

Feelings

"Now there's a site I bet you don't get to see everyday." Turning my head I saw Barney smirking at us from upon a large rock. He sat there eating some strange fruit. Jumping down he landing with a dust of sand, "Toughie here does have a soft shell after all. And I thought he was all blood and guts. Proved me wrong." Alec had frozen in the spot he stood half soaked. Smiling I wrapped my dainty hands around his arm and tugged him out of the water.
Snapping out of the shock Alec had marched to the beach himself dragging me along rather harshly. Gripping the collar of Barney's shirt he hoisted the poor guy into the air. "Want to see a tough guy? Because I can show you what I really am like if you wish." Growing pale Barney looked to me for help. Shaking my head I ignored his pleas and headed to the edge of the forest where I heard the source of faint noises. Peering into the dark I noticed what it was, several of the pirates, probably gathered by Barney, stood huddled waiting for us.

"Oh dear god! I was only joking man! Please just let me live, please," Barney grumbled. Smiling I turned to look at the two boys over my shoulder. Barney frantically tried to pry himself from Alec's grip on his shirt. "Of course you don't have any feelings. It was just a joke."

Alec let him go and Barney landed with a thud. I tried to resist the urge to giggle, but a small one slipped out anyway. Raising his eye brow Alec glanced at me before passing me by and entering the forest. Watching Barney I sighed, "Come on, we should get moving before he leaves us."

Rubbing his back side Barney got up with a grumble. "We were just going to go down the coast till we reached the town."

"Well I'm going with Alec, I think it'll be a bit safer with someone who can actually use a sword," I giggled seeing his entire lower half covered in wet sand. Barney was frantically trying to brush it off.

"Girl!" Alec bellowed through the woods. I turned with a scowl, his eyes pierced through the darkness. "I'll leave you if you don't hurry."

Patting me on the shoulder Barney smiled. "I'm sure I'll meet you again. You're in good hands, now get going before the loser decades to come back at fetch you." Pushing me off towards the darks trees Barney walked over to the few men that had survived. "Just be careful! Danger lurks in the woods that even a pirate like me wouldn't disturb."

Smiling I sent him a bashful wink. "You know, you don't act much like a pirate. But I guess it doesn't matter. Bye."

"Bye!" Barney said frantically waving at me. With one fleeting glance I stepped into the forest. Alec was already in a sullen mood. The only thing I could think of doing was to smile, and so I did. He just rolled his eyes before continuing on.

Alec remained quiet with his back to me. One eye peeked open peering at me over his shoulder. "Took you long enough girl. The others not coming?" Shacking my head I looked back with hope that maybe they would come after all, that way I would know they would be safe. With no more concern for the others Alec began moving deeper into the woods, and farther from the beach. "And you're not going with them? The coast would be far safer you know."

"Yeah, well I don't care." I didn't feel that it was necessary to point out that I felt far safer with him around. He'd probably just roll his eyes and then insults me. Silently I followed him, placing my foot where his was. No longer could I hear the calls of sea birds, or the sea itself.

Stifling a laugh my curious companion kept moving forward, but I knew he was wondering my exact reason for staying with him. Keeping my thoughts away from Alec I watched the scenery around me. The farther we went the darker it got. Carefully choosing his words he spoke after a moments pause, "You don't care?" I could feel his smile carefully hidden in front of me.

"Yeah," I said with caution, "Is that a problem?" Carefully stepping over a root I stopped abruptly as to not hit Alec. Alec stood there staring at me, his eyes scorning me. Looking away I tried to think of what mythical creatures lay hidden in the shadows.

"Is that a problem," Alec said dragging out each word. With his finger he tapped his chin looking over me carefully.

Stomping my foot I let out a hot breath of air. "Stop that!" I said with slight anger.

With an annoying smile Alec turned back around to continue on his trail. "Stop what?" he called back to me. Walking forward I sensed something new in the air. It was then I realized that Alec had broken down that wall he built to keep everyone away. He was actually trying to be light hearted, smiling and joking around. "Alright, well enough with the nonsense. There are over one hundred vampires in this forest alone, over five hundred were-wolves, and hundreds more dark creatures. And here I am talking to you as if none of these things exist. I should have my guard up ready for them."

It hit me again, that fear which only minutes ago I had bottled up. Living in ignorance was bliss, but a foolish move. The shadows seemed to move with us, its watchful eyes preparing to pounce. "I should have listened to my mother, but you know what? Everything turned out fine. Life is full of should haves, but they don't really matter, they're only after thoughts really."

"Would you like my after thought to be the reason of your untimely death?" Shaking his head he held his hand up for me to stop. Doing so I saw him peering at me over his shoulder. Stretching out his long muscular arm he pointed out into the woods. I was about to ask what, but he had covered my mouth. Pointing again he smiled. It was so surreal, this new man before me. Looking in the general direction of his finger I saw only darkness at first. Then it occurred to me that there was a spot of light shining in the dark. I was about to ask what was going on again but he had once again covered my mouth. "Fairies," he whispered into my ears quietly as ever.

My mouth dropped slightly, and I was in complete shock. Grabbing Alec's arm I pulled him towards the spot, but the light vanished with my sudden movement. Behind me Alec began to let out a deep chuckle. "Fairies won't let a human anywhere near them girl. So don't be so foolish."

Frowning I turned back to see a sly grin staring straight at me. "How did I end up with someone so oblivious to everything?"

"You're just too nice I guess," I said shrugging my shoulders. This made his face drop, the serious glare staring at me with disappointment. He grumbled something incoherent and turned striding quickly away. Looking away I felt pain curl up in my chest, "Sorry" I whispered.

With the fairies gone, the beach gone, the pirates gone, it seemed like my adventure away from home was coming to a close. By now we were probably only a two days hike to the village. Was it so wrong of me to crave such an adventure?

My heart was heavy with regret. Soon I would return home to a life of work. My father would waste no time in marrying me off, my eighteenth birthday just around the corner. Part of me prayed that some freak accident would occur leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere where I would be forced to pick up life on my own. Was it really fair of me though, to just leave all I knew behind so I could be happy?

Stopping a stared at Alec. Looking back in the direction we came I sought out the beach. In my mind I weighed my options. The dangers lurked behind me calling out my name in freedom. The wind blew through the forest cooling my brow as I stared at the dark abyss. How tempting it was, staring at the freedom that laid before me. No longer could I hear the crunching of the forest floor, Alec must not have noticed I had stopped.

Dropping do my knees I curled up at the base of a tree. Just staring into the option of freedom made me feel slightly better. But what would happen once I reached the beach again? Well I do suppose I could follow the footsteps of the pirates in the sand, following them to the nearest port. Barney would be more than thrilled to see me again and I'm sure I could join his crew. Then I could travel the world. The western world awaited across the dangerous sea.

The crunching of earth brought my head out of my thoughts. No, none of that would ever happen. My night in shining armor has returned and now he will take me back to my prison. Closing my eyes I tried not to cry, I really did, but somehow I still shed tears. Turning my head I saw a furious, somewhat puzzled, man awaiting my explanation. Though I had none, I still tried to throw him an apologetic smile, "Just a bit tired." And there he had it, my simple plausible excuse for my little stunt.

Nodding his head he waited for me to stand before he started to walk again. It was silent again, and I embraced it. I was far too fearful that my shaky voice would betray me leading Alec to believe something was truly wrong.

xXxXxXx

"What? No nonsense talking today girl?" Alec mused as we began walking. Stifling a yawn I followed trying not to trip over my own clumsy feet. The night was long and horrifying as we slept on the dirt covered ground with nothing to serve as protection. I wasn't even allowed a fire in fear of attracting some creature or another. The way the shadows danced in the faint light of the moon frightened me out of my whit. After hours of lying in fear Alec had let me curl up next to him, resting my head on his chest.

Running my fingers through my hair I tried to get in untangled. "You hate my talking. And after yesterday I thought you didn't want to hear it anymore. I only said you were a nice person, and I don't think it's that bad of a thing. Only you would take it as a bad compliment."

Coming up to a creak I saw it was only shallow, but Alec still stopped. As I approached I took the time to examine his face. Plain as always, but his eyes danced as he thought. "I don't take it as bad," he let out a sigh as he unexpectedly scooped me up into his arms, proceeding to walk across the water, "But I am bad. I wish you could understand." His fingers wove themselves through my hair but all I could focus on were his eyes, still dancing with thought. "In my line of profession-"

"Killing?" I interrupted. Alec flashed me a smile with his teeth bared. "Sorry," I mumbled for the interruption.

Surprisingly he let out a soft quiet chuckle, so quite I wasn't even sure existed. "Well yes. Killing is my profession. But as I was saying, in my line of profession there is no room for feelings or thoughts. They are used against you. So being nice really is not that good. Even this is dangerous. If the wrong people saw me helping you, they could use that against me. A weakness," he said with solemn eyes.

"A weakness," I repeated in utter disbelief. Dropping to my own to feet I glanced at the creak we had just crossed. "I am not a weakness. Don't you realize that I would be dead already without you? So acting like we've never met before is totally absurd. So what if I die? It's going to happen sometime. Honestly, I don't see why you care so much!"

"Julia!" he roared. I stopped dead in my tracks; my breath was frozen with fear. Up until this very moment I was sure he had no idea what my name was, I thought he truly believed it was girl. The way his face twisted into a foul grim stare I knew he was truly mad. Was this what all his victims saw before they met their own gruesome fate. His large hand grabbed my jaw squeezing it tightly. "Don't speak such things. Karma gets you back eventually. When it does, I'm sure you will regret ever meeting me, ever uttering those words. And I do care! So shut your little mouth and follow behind like the good girl you are."

He released my head and I stumbled backwards. Rubbing my jaw I stared up at him in disbelief. "You are so mean! If you do care you sure don't show it well!"

Tears spilt over my eye lids as I stood there staring at him. Still rubbing my jaw I contemplated the thoughts of running away from him. But his eyes showed so much pain, I knew he meant those words and it was killing him that I didn't believe those words he spoke with such anger. "Julia," Alec spoke with precaution, his hand reached out for my face careful not to startle me, "I didn't mean to speak with such anger. It was a mistake not to calm myself first."

Sobbing I tried to control myself but I was like a broken dam. All the water just seemed to flow my broken gates. I tried to believe it was actually because I was angry that he was so mean, but I was afraid he may truly believe those words he uttered. His hand held my face carefully, not using such force as he had before. "My dear Julia. Don't ever think I won't care, but I can never give you more. It is because I care about you."

"I didn't even know that you knew my name," I scoffed in disbelief. I only knew this stranger for four days but I already felt so attached. Grabbing his hand I held it tightly to my face, fear he would try to pull away. "This will all be over in a few hours won't it? My sweet Alexander, Alec, do you know why I was crying yesterday?" His eyes never strayed from mine, dancing away in thought. "It was because I was afraid. Afraid of going back. Life was never very exciting until after I met you. Part of me wants to turn around and run strait to the beach, never returning home."

Smiling Alec slowly took his hand away setting it at his side. A smile crept onto his face. "Girl, you fantasize me with such vivid thoughts. I'm far to interested in them than I should be."

Moving on I comfortably walked next to Alec. The village would only be a short distance away, and my heart was heavy with grief. But I was filled with so much happiness. Only a short while ago Alec had actually admitted to being human, to actually having feelings. But he was once again bottled up, and I could no longer pry that careless voice to speak again.

Looking up I could feel the heat of the sun beaming against me forehead. With the back of my wrist I dabbed off the tiny beads of sweat forming on my head. The forest was starting to get old on my eyes; everything was the same everywhere we went. Trees, old rotten branches lying about, rocks, and grass, that was the basic scenery.

An evil chuckle stopped me in my track. I looked to Alec expecting him to be smiling down at me evilly but instead he was frozen like I. Glancing around I saw nothing but the same old scenery. "Alec," I whispered in quiet fear.

Placing a hand on my shoulder he gave me a slight nudge. "We should leave this forest was soon as possible. And we were off again, the odd chuckle only a low background noise.

The second we passed two large trees Alec had grabbed my arm pulling me into a run. With an eep I followed to the best of my abilities. Running next to Alec I noticed he was stressed, his jaw clenched tightly. Obviously he wasn't happy that I was so slow.

Out of breath I kept moving to my best ability but it was still hard. It wasn't like I was in the best of shape, farm girl or not. Somehow I had the feeling we were in a bit of real danger. Alec was strong and well skilled, but I doubted his abilities against any demon without the sharp edge of his blade. Humans weren't well equip with magics, and the demons would use this against us.

My head was spinning; everything was passing me by so quickly. Only minutes ago it seemed that Alec had actually confessed to being human and here we are fleeing for our lives. Holding his hand tightly I kept my eyes forward waiting for any sign of the end of this endless maze of trees.

As a large figure appeared before us Alec screeched to a halt. As soon as we stopped he stepped before me blocking my view of the figure. The event reminded me much of the first time we had met, as he pushed me behind him to fend off the frenzy of wolves. Gripping onto his shirt I peaked out behind his muscular chest to see what creature presented us with our current doom.

"Girl!" Alec hissed through his clenched teeth. He shoved me back quite brutally. But my eyes were still frozen with fear. What I saw was not human, no way close. Although the form before me took on the form of human, it bathed in the dark glow of death. His grin showed sharp fangs pointing every which way, while his black eyes poured its evil aura into your very soul. "What do you want?" Alec roared, his hands clenched into tight fists.

The monster chuckled, clicking its tongue. "My dear soldier, why do you think I want anything?" Even its voice was icy; my entire body shook with fear. It's evil chuckle bounced around against the trees.

"Then leave," Alec stated. He didn't move an inch.

Clicking its tongue again the creature moved. I could hear the crunching of earth as it moved, not bothering to be quiet now that it's presence was known. "I never said anything about not wanting anything. It's truly an honor, speaking to the executioner. I've heard stories of you. Honestly, I don't think I could have done a better job with taking out that dreadful city of Alance. It just sends shivers up my spine as I think about it!"

"Alec," I groaned. Closing my eyes I leaned my head against his back. The creatures voice pierced my ears with such pain. My head was about to explode.

"But I'm getting off point. First introductions are in order I do believe. Rex, a death dealer, at your service."

Alec took a step forward causing me to stumble along with his seeing as I had a death grip on his shirt. Reaching back Alec grasped my hand pulling me to the side of him. Now I was able to see the demon, and he was staring at me. "Well Rex, I have business to attend to and this young woman needs to return home as soon as possible so we will just be on our way," Alec replied with a smirk. I tightened my grip on his hand; it seemed as if he enjoyed provoking this demon, not just any demon but a death dealer.

Rex took a step out in front of us with a glare directed at Alec. "I wish neither one of you harm. On the contrary, I'm here to offer my help. But also I need your help."

Alec spat on the ground and returned the glare back to the demon. "I need no help, from mortal or immortal. Leave now before I do something you may regret."

"Cocky for a man with no weapon." The demon turned and began to stroll around the area, around us. I tried to keep my eye on him as he wove in and out of trees. "But you will not make it out of this forest alive. Those little fairies did well in spreading the gossip of your arrival in this forest. So you will accept my help, and then help me in return."

"Why does a death dealer need help?" Alec asked, his voice drained of all humor. His guard was never let down, his hands still clenched tightly. "What or rather who could scare you so much as to beg a human for help?"

Rex smiled showing off his sharp razor teeth. "Boy, don't taught the dead. An army is growing in the south, an army with a great dark power even I am afraid of. As an immortal you can imagine the trouble I have traveling outside of this forest. This is where you come in my lad; I need safe passage to the western lands. Across the sea I know I will be safe."

Silence filled the air for a minute. My breath came out in jagged gasps. Releasing me Alec strode forward to the demon. Before my eyes I watched as the immortal tradition of blood bondage was made before my eyes. Alec dug his nails into his palm drawing blood while the demon simply ran a nail along his. And then they slammed their bloody hands together in a strong grasp.

"And the deal is made," Alec murmured. He wore a frown but at least I was relieved. The death dealer would not harm us, actually doing the opposite by helping us out of the hideous forest. "After we exit the forest, alive, I will help you with your own journey. Now lets continue before dark approaches."

The demon chuckled as it spun around on its heel. "Of course. It is only a short distance away, and then you will both be free of the forest's harm."

Taking my hand Alec gently pulled me forward. We walked a steady pace following the dark demon. I had my doubts of this thing, but it seemed to be following true to it's word. But what scared me even more was the thought of the dark army in the south. If it could scare a death dealer, then even we would be in for a hand full of trouble.

Once I was back home I would tell my sisters about this event, as well as all my others during my travels. They would be in awe over the fact that I met both a demon and an assassin and lived to tell the tale. But just maybe I would leave the assassin part out, not that I'm ashamed or scared, but rather because my parents wouldn't understand. No one would. He's not the cold blooded man everyone thinks.

While we were alone today he showed me another side to him, a side that wanted to protect me from all the evils in the world, a side that really did care.