The Execution of the Heart

Every Day Has Its End

The monster clicked it tongue as it watched us walk up to it. It stood at the edge of the forest waiting for us. The dark eyes followed me with such care, he was eyeing me up. Probably imagining how I would taste. Part of me had the impulse to stick out my tongue and walk away.
Dropping my hand Alec walked up to the death dealer in one swift movement. His hair fell over his eyes hiding all thoughts and emotion. "Well we made it. But don't think I noticed not one creature was hiding about. You tricked me demon. And for that you will pay, but we did make a deal," Alec murmured. His fists were tightly held against his body as he stared coldly at the demon.

The demon laughed evilly sending a cold chill down my spine. My ears were sore already from the unnatural pitch of the fiend. "Yes, I was a bit on the edge at first. Who would have thought the Executioner would actually fall for such a lie! There was no true danger; I only over heard those silly fairies gossiping of a new human girl. Jealous things, fairies, never took well to another creatures beauty. And she does have such beauty," the creature purred smiling at me with its sharp teeth pointed in every direction. Swallowing my fear I backed away hiding behind a tree. "Her skin is so fair, hair so delicate, I can just see myself running my fingers through the luscious brown strands."

Alec's arm shot out faster than humanly possible. His brute strength was crushing the air out of the death dealer as he held him by the neck. The creature was coughing for air as it clawed at Alec's death grip. "Demon. We made a deal of which I must abide, but if I ever see you near Lady Julia again, it will be your last." Releasing the demon it stumbled backwards rubbing at its red neck. The demon stared at me with a fiery passion, and I stepped back in fear. "Now, let's take our separate ways demon. You will travel west to the coast in the port of Lathoir. There you will locate a boat, The Alluma, and they will have a room to hide you away. Everything will be prepared for you before your arrival. In five days it will depart. If you miss it then you are out of luck. Our dept is paid."

Turning on his heal Alec stormed away from the smirking demon. Running I stumbled to Alec grabbing his large hand with my own small ones. Looking up I saw his face was pulled into a serious mask. There was no doubt in my mind that he would kill the demon the next time he saw it, for the trickery left him in such a fit.

When he had told us of the fairies gossip I was shocked, and I believed him like the fool I am. But his betrayal explained why I felt such unease of the creature. The black eyes stared at me so intently that I shrunk into my fear, and there doubt had bubbled up.

The creature craved my very flesh. My skin tingled as the cold air brushed past me lightly hitting my arms. Part of me now regretted throwing out the tattered dress and donning on the light sailor suit. The dress was warm, and the light fabric that covered my body did no help at all.

"Until next time my lovely jewel. We will meet again without the overbearing presence of the Executioner," the creature purred delicately. Glancing back I saw nothing, only the dark forest encroaching.

Alec tugged harshly on my arm. He was staring down at me with cold dead eyes. "I will be sure that the creature gets to the western lands. You will be safe then," he replied calmly. The funny thing was, I wasn't worried. For some reason I no longer felt the fear running up and down my spine. That monster would most probably forget of me, and move on. Nodding my head was the only response I gave to his words, but that was all he needed before we began on foot again.

My surroundings were still so foreign, yet I knew exactly where I was. I knew that the river I saw twisting the hills of the far distance bordered the edge of the Duke Titus' land, I knew that the hills were where the livestock roamed during the warm summer days. I could picture the farm houses now, the tiny little village of houses centered around the community well. Everyone would still be lively with chatter, smiling and dancing.

It's not like I was expecting Alec to stay, or even to tell me that he wanted to see me again. The second we reached the village I knew he would just turn right to the road to the capital and leave my life forever. Frowning I looked up to his face, the sun blocking my view of it. A sigh escaped my lips as I looked away.

Alec grasped my hand giving it a light squeeze. "What's wrong girl?"

Shaking my head, "Nothing. Just thinking. Why? Do you suddenly care?"

He was frowning, I could feel it radiating off him. "I don't. It's just I'd rather not return you in a sour mood causing a scene. I want to leave as soon as possible; I have other business to attend to." His snide remark had an edge of sarcasm draped behind it. My heart was beating in short outbursts inside my chest. There was no need to feel anxious yet I still did. "So are you ready to continue? Or shall we wait a few moments so that you can collect yourself?"

Either way it didn't matter. Either way my fate wouldn't change. Soon I would marry an old man, far too old for me, and he would be rich, and he would be ugly, and he would force me to bear his child. The thought was even more freighting than the death dealer.

What happened to my night in shinning armor? He doesn't care about me, only counting the minutes down until he can truly be free of such nonsense. Rubbing my forehead I looked up to see Alec staring off into the horizon. Letting out a sigh I began to walk forward, continuing on without the fool. Well I had news for him; I didn't need a night in shinning armor, because I was perfectly capable of saving my own sorry self.

Behind me I heard Alec's disapproving sigh as he must have realized that I was no longer at his side. Glancing back I saw him shaking his head at his thoughts as he stared at me. Giving him one fleeting smile I turned around and continued to march myself to my old life.

The wild flowers were at least growing well. The field was scattered with blotches of color all around us. The long uncut grassed flowed like the sea in the wind. Nearing the river I knew we would soon set sight on the small little village. Wouldn't everyone be surprised to see me thought? I'm sure everyone thought I was a goner. Poor Cillia, she probably cried all night over me.

Overall I'd say I did well for only being gone four days. I was still in one piece, and no one was going to kill me now. The only thing that changed was my view on my life. Before I was content, only because I had not known of what had laid past those four walls of my humble home. And for such horrible events, I don't think it could have turned out better. Smiling I took one glance at my masculine companion.

"Girl," Alec bellowed at me. Me still being far ahead began to walk backwards as I stared into his deep eyes. "What do you think you're doing?" came his light amused voice.

Smiling I tapped my chin. "Well I'm trying to figure out how I could have gotten so lucky. My doomed fate was rescued last minute by a complete stranger. And here he is laughing light heartedly at me. It's just too much; sometimes I can't understand it at all."

"Girl," Alec sighed. "Turn around." It was a demand, and the rebellious side of me was showing as I remained walking backwards. A smile played on both our lips and I broke it as I stuck my tongue out at him. Laughing Alec stopped.

I was about to stop, but my foot hit a drop sending me tumbling backwards. Using my other leg I tried to catch myself but the icy water which now tingled against my skin startled me. Not knowing what was happening I stumbled into the river with a splash. Sitting up I brushed my now wet hair out of my face to see Alec doubled over in laughter. The sour part of me sat there and sulked, waiting for him to come help me out of the river.

Straitening himself out Alec sauntered forward, a grin played on his face. "I told you so," he said as brightly as imaginable, "But her highness had to be stuck up and so you fell into the river." He held his hand out waiting for me to grasp it. Looking up at his smiling face I couldn't help but smile in return. My rosy cheeks glistened in the light of the sun as the tiny drops of water began to slowly run off my smooth face.

Taking his hand I was whisked out of the icy water. Dripping wet I stumbled forward holding to his arm tightly. "Thank you," I whispered. His body was so warm. Closing that small distance he kept between us was the only thing running through my mind, but Alec turned and began to walk away. I stood startled for a minute before realizing he was walking the wrong way. "Wrong way!" I called out to him and he stopped turning back to face me, "The bridge. I know there is one but its in the other direction. Plus, the village is that way as well, as well as the capital."

"Oh," he said with a long sigh. Smiling I waited for him to approach me before turning for my final destination, towards my doom.

xXxXx

The village was in sight sooner than expected. Our long journey had come to an abrupt halt, and my heart crashed against my chest. My heart was tight and my breath was short. Fear curled up in the back of my mind. Home. The beautiful stranger I had come so attached would be leaving, and there was nothing I could offer for him to stay at my side. Seeing the familiar faces and the familiar houses I was able to bring myself out of my despair. An unexpected joy of seeing home again. I had never been so far away before. Never.

Like a stray dog one could find on the abandoned night streets, Alec followed. His curious eyes flowed everywhere, studying the village with careful precision. Smiling I followed my feet to the familiar house where I could see my mother's flowers flowing gently in the wind. She was so heart broken when I had left. How was she now? Was she still in pieces?

A hand landed on my shoulder and I looked up to see Alec towering over me. For some reason I had stopped walking, and not even realized it. My own thoughts had lost me in their flow. Shaking my head I gave him a heart warming smile before moving on. The door opened in one push, only a slight creek from its old hinges made noise.

Scents of baking filled the air. My nose led my way to where my mother was. A decent home cooked meal, something I hadn't had in what seemed like ages. Before I could comprehend what I was doing, I began a slight run to the kitchen. Bursting through the door I scanned the room immediately seeing my shocked mother's face as she stood next to the fire.

"Mother!" I threw myself in her open arms. Smiling I smelled the soft perfume she wore everyday, she really was real. Up until this very moment I had been dreading my return home. Up until this moment I still had the urge to just run. My feet would have taken me far, but my mother's broken face still clung to my memories and my heart broke every time it flashed before my eyes. "I missed you mother," I whispered quietly into her ear.

She smiled embracing me back. Tears flew down her face landing in my hair. "My sweet child, my dear sweet child, where have you been? I've missed you so. Julia, never leave me again, please never leave me again," she cried. Standing there we rocked back and forth in our embrace. A reunion like this was all I needed to convince myself that leaving would never work. "I love you Julia, don't leave me again please." My mother's pleas broke my heart. No, it wouldn't work at all.

"Ahem." My mother's gasp caused me to release her warm soft body. Turning I saw Alec standing in the doorway, a smirk on his face. My mother looked to me, looked back to him, and then looked to me again. She was about to say something when my sweet prince spoke, "I'm sorry to trouble your reunion, but I must say my farewells. I'm very glad that you were able to return home Miss Julia. Good bye," he spoke with such precision.

"Wait!" I called out as he turned his back to us. He turned his head back waiting for my interruption. Stumbling forward I grabbed his arm giving out a welcoming smile, "Please stay." Stay forever I wanted to say, but he would run faster then. "Stay for dinner."

My mother stepped up from behind nodding her head in response. "Yes, its the least we can do after saving my dear little daughter. And I won't take no for an answer young man!" She threw her head back with a slight chuckle. Looking up I saw Alec's eyes sparkle, while his face remained cold as stone. Only with a faint nod did he respond. Smiling brightly I mouthed thank you to him. Rolling his eyes he walked out of the room and to one of the cushioned chairs placed near the front door.

"I'm going out quick," I mentioned to my mother, just loud enough for the man in black sitting in the next room over, "I have to see Cillia, just to let her know I'm okay. It's been too long."

My mother nodded returning to her dish. "Yes, well I've got to a supper for six to make now. So scoot on along and while I get things going. Take your new friend along too!"

Rolling my eyes I gave her a quick hug before scooting out. Leaving the kitchen I noticed Alec leaning back in his chair. His head hung down leaving his wild hair hanging before his eyes. In an instant his head shot up meeting my eyes. His stare was intense, he had decided to shut himself off, and part of me broke inside.

Standing up he towered over me. Glancing over my body he frowned. My mind raced trying to decipher what he was doing. But I found myself doing the same thing, staring at every inch of him. Committing him to memory I tried to save the image. I didn't want to ever forget him; I hoped he was doing the same.

Smiling I sauntered forward pulling the front door open. "Do you want to see some of the village while we wait?" I asked sweetly.

Alec furrowed his brow. "Don't you want to change?" Looking down I flushed noticing my current attire. My sailor suit was filled with dirt and grime.

Shaking my head I took one step out the door. "Nope. Its rather comfortable. Now come on, you don't have to come though."

Alec pushed my back nudging me out the door. Hearing the door shut I glanced back to see him standing by me waiting impatiently. Tapping his foot he looked around at the meager surroundings. The same thing went through my head constantly, what am I doing in a place like this? This village was a dump, small with nothing to offer. But for some odd reason it warmed my heart just being in the peaceful village, I missed being home.

Walking forward I headed down the same path I always took when visiting my best friend. She would be so happy to see me, I bet she thought I was dead. Almost in a run I hurried to her house. Her house was simple, cheap, but her mother took the time to plant flowers around the house and it became the most beautiful house in the village. Running up to the door I knocked lightly. The light foot steps I heard on the other side sent my heart jumping in my chest.

Rocking back on my heals I glanced back to Alec giving him a hearty smile. There was just something about the day, maybe because I knew it would be our last, that I felt giddy about. I wanted to make it count in my head. Constantly I peered at him trying to save to memory every last detail about this beautiful stranger, every scar, every crevasse, I wanted to remember it all.

The door opened and there stood a baffled woman. Cillia's mother was in her late forties, but still elegant. Everyone says that she looked just as beautiful as Cillia did when she was her age. By looking at the aging woman I could only see it too be true. Touching my face she smiled, "Juliette, my god child! I thought you'd be dead! But here you are!" she cried with utmost joy. Pulling me forward she wrapped me in a warm hug which I returned.

"Is Cillia here?" I ponder while trying to peer into the house. The house was the same as always, cluttered with too many antiques that the family knew what to do with. Cillia's father planned to save the items until one day they would be worth a fortune, and then he would buy a villa near the mountains. Her father would always tell us this during one of his drunken fits.

She shook her head still smiling. "No dear. Jin and she traveled into the city today. But I'll let her know you're back as soon as she arrives." Nodding we parted ways and I walked away. My lost puppy followed me.

Smiling I glanced back before turning down a small path leading into the meadows. My lost puppy followed me as well. Smiling I began to run towards the large patch of trees. Running I floated through the waist high grass, my feet avoiding all the rocks I memorized.

Dunking under a branch I ran forth to the biggest tree. I heard no foot steps behind me, but somehow I knew he knew exactly where I was. Crouching down I sat in the dirt on a large root that jutted out of the ground, and there I stared at the natural spring before me. The crystal water shimmered in my perfect day.

"I discovered this place as I child," I began not sure why I was talking, I wasn't even sure if he was there. "It's quite silly but I had wandered off on my own in pursuit of a rabbit. Now this wasn't any ordinary rabbit, no, it was pure white. My silly childish mind wanted the creature so I ran after it. My little legs followed its shadow until I became lost in the small bunch of trees. It doesn't seem too big now, but from the eyes of a child this place was like another world. Stumbling along I searched for an exit.

"It was all by accident that I found this place. Running I ran right into the shallow spring. My dress was soaked up to my waist. Crawling out I sat in this exact spot and waited for someone to come and find me. But sitting here, I found myself able to daydream. The peaceful surroundings were so new, so cherished. This place was like a dream. I've kept it a secret. I've never told a single soul about my secret get away. Except now."

Sighing he walked out in front of me. At first he just stood there staring over the little spring, watching the trees sway in the wind. The sun trickled down through the canopy of leaves just giving enough light not to blind us. Then he turned carefully studying my face, and I studied his. He sat next to me on my sturdy root. We sat in silence. I gazed out over my spring while he gazed at my face. His eyes poured onto my skin, it wasn't something easily ignored, but I maintained my concentration and not once glanced his way.

With a sigh I started him, leaning over resting my head on his chest. In response he wrapped an arm around my waist and we just sat there. That touch meant the world to me, it was his only way of showing he did care for me when he could do no else. These were my last hours with him and all I could think of doing was to sit in one spot gazing out into the pleasant scenery.

I could have drifted off to sleep, but I was too preoccupied with the dancing flowers in the light breeze. Time passed by so quickly; before I knew it Alec was pushing me up to my feet. "I'm sure dinner is almost ready. We should head back," he said in that husky voice of his. Only did I realize I had faintly nodded did I continue on my journey. Heading home behind my beautiful stranger I began to pity myself. Everything I had felt for him would never be returned. It was a pointless escapade.

Walking into my house I smelled dinner. Looking around I saw both my sisters now sitting in our front room talking about. They both became silent as Alec and I entered the room. Giving them a faint smile I pushed forward, past Alec, and wrapped myself in their arms. We exchanged our greetings, our tears. And then my mother called us into the dinning room. Alec had stood in the background the entire time, my sisters never noticing him. Only when my mother directed him to sit next to me did their attention snap towards the untouchable but gorgeous boy sitting across from them.

Smiling I folded my napkin on my lap; I smiled as I noticed Alec doing the same. "Who's this?" June asked in a quiet voice. She timidly eyed up Alec, silently judging if she could get him. Janus was doing the same thing.

Smiling I took to introductions. Opening my mouth I was about to speak, but Alec's words flew out before I realized he had spoke on his own will. "My name is Alexander Dumas. I ran across your sister and offered to escort her back home," he calmly replied. I was startled. He gave them a full name, where as he only gave me a nick name of what people would call him.

My mind leapt up in frustration. Why hadn't he trusted me with his full name? Automatically he gave me his nick name, Alec, and that was it. I just assumed such a jerk wouldn't have a last name. But I was wrong. Julia Dumas. No, it didn't sound right. It just didn't. Closing my eyes I tried to recollect my thoughts. I could hear the light laughter of the others around me. The front door opening, my father was home now.

And my thoughts began to fly again. What would he think of the new stranger I brought home? Would he disapprove?

Opening my eyes I saw my father walking in, sitting down at the head of the table. He smiled warmly at me. I smiled back. "Julia! I knew you would be back. Honestly, what took you so long girl? I thought you'd have bitten off that fool's hand an hour after your departure and stroll right back. But four days, I thought I knew you better." He laughed light heartedly. Glancing at our male visitor he grimaced in response. "And who's this? Another suitor? Because right now I'm not looking to marry off these girls yet. No, not yet. A couple more years maybe."

My mother laughed before cutting off my father's suitor rant. One would be surprised how many men the three of us attract. It seemed as though we would receive one every month or so. But the men were never after me, it was always my two sisters they wanted. "No dear, this man helped our little Julia. I insisted he stay for dinner. Where did you say you were headed again Alexander?" my mother spoke with such ease. She smiled as she struck her leafy salad with her fork.

"The capital." Alec rubbed the back of his head before he timidly began to pick at the meal in front of him. He seemed so proper when he ate, yet it all seemed so strange to him. I began to wonder when the last time he actually had a decent home cooked meal was. "I've got a job lined up there."

My father clicked his tongue, something he always did when he was lost in deep thought. His eyes gazed over the table, his eyes meeting mine. Looking away I began to eat my meal in silence.

"Well," he pondered. We all ate while he thought, his food going untouched. Tapping his face he let out a sigh, "Its dangerous on the road at night. Bandits hide alone the road waiting to jump unsuspecting travelers. You will stay here and I will take you to town in the morning by horse."

"No, really sir, I'll be-" Alec started. But my father slammed his fist down on the table causing us all to look up. He was glaring at Alec with a great intensity causing me to look away.

"You saved my daughter. And now I'm telling you that you're staying here. Don't argue young man, I know what's best. Those bandits can be dangerous, and plus the guard could be out. Who knows what that scum of a guard could do. So fill yourself and then get a good nights rest," my father replied with a smile.

Alec seemed baffled. He shook his head in protest but somehow the look on my father's face convinced him otherwise. Slowly he nodded his head and Alec replied with a small okay. We all ate in silence. The night was passing by quickly. Occasionally one of my sisters would make a comment and someone else would reply and return, but that was the most of the conversation.

xXxXxXx

Upstairs in my room I found Alec standing behind me. He paused in the doorway to gawk at my small girly room. My father had given me just a few more hours with this beautiful man. My heart still throbbed inside my empty chest. Watching him I realized how embarrassing my room was. Looking around myself I noticed all my drawings thrown about the room, my shelves holding several books and dolls. At least it was clean; my clothing was put away in its proper place. But having his so carefully examining my art was what truly worried me. Those pictures were a part of my very soul.

He came farther into my room side stepping around the furniture and went strait to the wall where several of my pictures hung. Looking at them I began to regret ever hanging them up. The wall held six different pictures, all different but exactly the same. The first was a self portrait of myself, beautiful but dark. Another was of the meadow and my grove of trees, the picture next to it was the only one in color, wild flowers. The next two pictures were of the city, the busy streets filled with people. But the last picture was my favorite, it was just Cillia. She posed for me, sitting for two hours while I drew her. She was perfect. The end result didn't look anything like her, but the shadow brought the image to life. That was what all the pictures shared, a dark shadow.

Alec passed by each hanging picture taking the time to carefully examine each. He walked back to the first, my self portrait, and stood there. Tapping on the old paper he let out a small grin. "You're good."

Stepping behind him I looked at the picture as well. Scrunching up my nose I turned away to my favorite of the drawings. "Yeah, but I hate that silly portrait. I should take it down."

Alec shook his head and smiled. "May I have it then?" he asked. I was quite shocked, and well, surprised. Blinking I thought it over in my head. What would he really need with a crappy picture of me for?

But I really didn't care, I actually felt a bit flattered. Shrugging my shoulder I reached up to take it down. "Yeah, I mean I don't care. I've got plenty more."

"So you draw often?" he asked wandering over to my bed before lying down in it. Staring at him for a moment I noticed how nice he looked laying there in my bed. Turning away I rolled the picture up setting it on my desk. Reaching for the book sitting on the top of my desk I sauntered over to Alec, plopping myself on the bed.

Opening the book I revealed several sketches. They were all in black and white, but I loved them the most that way. "Here, you want to look?" I asked handing the open book to him. He took it placing it in his own lap. Scooting over on the bed I leaned back against the headboard as I watched his long fingers flip the pages carefully.

Pursing his lips he carefully examined my beautiful sketches. He was impressed, I could just tell. "These are good girl."

I didn't know if I should be insulted from his tone, or flattered that the stone wall was actually giving out a compliment. Smiling I laid down a bit farther in the bed. "Thanks." Sighing I leaned back and stared at his hair, it was seemed as if it were burning in the faint light of the setting sun. Reaching out I ran a strand of his hair through my fingers, my eyes lingered where his met mine. "May I draw you?"

He nodded and I smiled pleased with myself. Taking out my pencil and placing the book in my lap I stared up at him. "Now don't move," I whispered pressing my lips together. Dragging the pencil along the paper I brought life to the page. He didnt move, his eyes only watching my quick strokes on the plain paper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Soon after she finished with the sketch she had drifted off to sleep. Finally taking in a deep breath I moved over taking away the book and pencil, setting it on her desk. Lifting up her simple quilt I covered her up, placing her gently in her bed. Turning I went back to the book, flipping through the pages I found the picture. Carefully I examined the beautiful lines she had drawn with such care. She didn't give herself the credit she deserved.
Reaching in my pocket I fished out the small sack of gold coins I had received earlier. Frankly, I was just happy to still have them on me. Opening the page I saw the gold pieces still in tack. With a sigh I set them on her desk, careful not to make any noise. The girl was not rich, from my first impression of the house I saw she was far from it. Giving all my money to her was the best thing I could do for her, but it didn't feel good enough at all.

Money was of no use to me, so it seemed like a reasonable gesture of giving her the money.

Walking to her window I pushed it open fully. Looking around I took in her room one last time. It was strange for me being in a girl's room, everything was so... happy. There was pink everywhere, and stuffed animals were placed in several spots about the room. Inwardly I laughed to myself, I would miss her.

My eyes fell on her small sleeping body which fell and rose with every breath she took. She was so innocent, which is one reason we would never work together. My heart was stained to black; I could never go back now. My soul was tainted, cursed to a life in hell. Her lips were curved upward in a smile, and she turned over in her sleep.

Pausing I waited to see if she had woken, but her body never moved again. Her short breaths were the only movement now. I just wanted to move forward wrapping my arms around her fragile body, falling asleep next to her. But I couldn't- no, it was my time to go.

Throwing my legs over the window I glanced back at her letting out a brief smile. "Goodbye Julia," I whispered and threw my body down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of Part 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
♠ ♠ ♠
Originally this story was written and divided into two parts based on time relative to the story, as well as location. Thanks for reading!