Status: Plz leave comments! Good or bad...don't matter :D

The Broken Promise

Chapter 5: "Rescue Attempt"

The dark shadows of the trees overlapped me as I ran. The white misty fog slowly suffocated me in a way that it was a pleasure to it, while the orange colored tint from the flames joined with me at either sides, consuming the bodies of the trees, eating them alive like a carnivore. The Forest seemed to be everlasting. There was no place to escape. I was locked in like a prisoner or a mouse in a maze, trying to find its way to a piece of cheese. Everywhere I went, I was blocked by the trees who acted like guards who were standing in a link to withstand a hoard of people. I was anxious and frantically spinning around, searching for my sister.

“Jira!” I screamed, “Jira!”

Where could she have gone? The cries of the citizens pierced my ears. Their cries for help chilled my spine, as if my blood was snow, freezing me to death from the inside. I spun around one last time in desperate hope to find my sister, as I noticed her to be standing a few feet across from me. A feeling of relief took over my body, overthrowing the worry that was developing within me.

I hurried to Jira and hugged her in my arms as tightly as I could.

“Jira!” I cried, “I’m so glad I found you. I was so worried.”

Jira didn’t reply. Instead, she remained voiceless. I could feel that something was wrong and loosened my grip and looked at her with concern.

“Jira? What’s the matter?” I asked.

I gently lifted her face beneath her chin with my hand, but was smacked away as she glared at me with hateful eyes that were occupied of a wicked thirst of revenge. Never have I seen her like this.

“How could you?” Jira screamed.
I stared at her with a perplexed look “What are you saying? What did I do?”

Jira slipped a dagger in her hand from inside her sleeve and took a swing at me. I dodged and hit it out from her palm, allowing it to fall on the ground.

“What the hell! What are you doing?” I yelled.
Jira shrieked “Why, Liri? You said you’d protect me!”
“Of course. I would risk my life for you! You’re my sister.”
Little drops of water fell from Jira’s eyes as she cried out “Stop it. Stop lying! Your words are nothing but lies!”

She then took a step back and swung her hand, propelling a vast attack of green fiery magic at me.

Quickly did I extract my blade and shielded myself “Jira! What are you doing? I didn’t lie-”
“Shut up!” she screamed.

Again, did she flail green fire, and this time, was she successful of piercing my limbs. I grunted in pain and fell on my back with a thud. What was going on? Never did Jira act like this. She was always a sweet girl, nothing but an innocent child.

I struggled to my feet but was hacked back down with a swift kick behind my knees. Jira stood on top of me, with the dagger, and pierced my shoulder. I screamed in agony and shoved her away. I took several deep breaths before yanking the blade out from my skin, staining the metal with my blood. This time, I threw the weapon within the fire, permitting it to melt and be eaten.

I returned to my stance “Jira. What has gotten into you?”

Jira’s tears continued to fall down her face. Her eyes of hate never left my sight.

“You betrayed me. You betrayed me!” she cried repeatedly.

With no intention to harm her, I put away my sword and promptly moved away as she continued to cast more of her magic as we ended up near a tree in an open area of grass. I didn’t know what to do. My mind was blank, completely empty of thoughts. Jira took the moment in using a spell to push me against the body of the tree while its large vines slowly climbed up to me and wrapped themselves around my body tightly, securing the impossibility of me being freed.

I was trapped. I didn’t even make the effort in fighting back. I just stared into Jira’s eyes. What did I do to ever place a sad face on my sister? What did I do to make her hate me as much as she did? What was it that I couldn’t remember? Whatever it was, I couldn’t forgive myself.

Jira looked up at me and announced “Because of your betrayal to me, I punish you to be imprisoned.”

Slowly, she raised only one hand and shot several streaks of ice at the feet of the tree. Gradually, the ice crawled up toward my way, taking shape as crystals. A single teardrop seeped down my face.

“Why?” I asked quietly.

Jira didn’t answer. She just glared at me with her detestation.

My sorrow then changed into anger “Why! Why, Jira?”

Again there was no reply nor answer. No words of explanation.

I noticed that the crystals were getting closer and begun to struggle to get free, yet failed due to the vines’ grip being too great.

“Jira! Why must you betray me!” I bellowed.
Jira snickered “Me? Betray you? You’re the one who betrayed me!”
“I didn’t betray you!” I snapped.
“Silence! I no longer wish to hear any words from a traitor.”

My eyes slowly began to shut as my vision was blurry and my head starting to spin. I fought aggressively to remain awake but fell unconscious to a deep slumber while the crystals finally expended over my body. Trapping me within its freezing hands.

I watched helplessly as Liri moaned in her sleep and fidget between the sheets of her bed (of which Yira gave). I got out from the nearby chair (that I’ve fallen asleep in the night before) and knelt down at the bedside. I reached my hand over and held onto hers while brushing my thumb on her skin. I stared at her soft hand and remembered the Prince kissing it. A bit of anger filled me, and without thinking, I too, lowered my head and kissed it with my lips. In surprise, I immediately jolted back and covered my mouth.

What did I just do?, I thought. More importantly, why did I do it?

I tried to shake the thought from my head and realized that Liri was waking up.

I grabbed Liri’s hand again “Liri. How are you feeling?”

Liri glanced at the ceiling and turned her attention to me.

“How long was I sleeping?” she asked.
“About a day.” I answered.

Liri seemed shocked and sat up, still holding my hand.

“What? A day?” she said.
“Yeah.”

Liri shrugged her shoulders carelessly as Yira suddenly walked into the room.

“Oh! Liri. I’m so glad your awake.” she said with a smile.

Liri looked down to see us holding hands and pulled her hand away. I looked at her and noticed she was blushing and I became happy for some reason.

“Uh…yeah…what is it Yira?” Liri questioned.
“Oh, my sister wishes to speak with you.” she mentioned.

Liri got out of bed and followed Yira and I down the stairs to the living room. There, Raii was waiting for us near the fireplace.

“I have brought them here.” Yira announced.
Raii turned her head “Thank you.”
Liri took a step forward “What is it that you want?”
Raii walked away from the fire place and spoke “I thank you again for helping us. But, before you are to do so, I recommend you to know some things first.”
“I’m listening.”

Raii gazed back at the fire and swiftly shifted her left arm, swaying the fire to dance out from its home and playfully float in front of Liri and I as it took form of Rathia’s Castle.

“The Castle may look normal, yet when you go inside, there are countless obstacles that you will encounter.” Raii warned.
Liri grew interested “Like what?”

The fiery picture changed into a great room with Seekers standing in the middle as Raii began to speak “When you first enter the Castle, three Seekers will be waiting for you.”

“Them? Are you serious? I’m already disappointed.” Liri joked.
“Aim for their hoods.”
“Their hoods? What for?”
“On each of their foreheads are personalized markings that the Prince had placed on them for control, which allows them to fight endlessly until the enemy is killed. You must erase those markings or they’ll never stop fighting you.”

Raii continued while the fire then changed into an image of a large staircase “After defeating the Seekers, you will take the staircase that will be standing behind them.” She explained, “At the top, there will be three doors in which you must decide to take. Two of them are cast down with a spell as the remaining one is untouched which leads to another staircase that will guide up to a group of enemies whom are ruthless.”

Liri laughed a bit “That’s it?”
Raii shook her head “I don’t believe so.”
“Why? You are his Gift. You practically live at the Castle.”
“I only know the basics.” Said Raii, “Since I…am mostly with him.”

Eventually, the fire returned to its burning household as the image of the Castle vanished into nothing but the air that wandered carelessly around the room.

“The Prince is quite strong.” Raii suddenly added.
Liri blurted with a grin “But I’m stronger.”

Raii laughed a bit in confidence in Liri’s words and finally opened the door as she guided us outside toward Rathia’s Castle with Yira waiting at the doorway and watched us leave.

During that time, I nervously glanced at the City’s People, whose eyes were locked on Liri and I with sympathy, as if we were being guided to be executed.

“Liri, they’re all staring at us.” I whispered.

She didn’t reply. She just simply kept her head high, showing a sign of reinforcement and hope for the defeat of the Prince. I then noticed that several of the City’s People were silently crying tears as though they were at a memorial. A memorial for the walking dead.

As we grew closer to the Castle’s front door, Liri whistled in amazement at its beauty and size “Wow. The Prince is sure living like one.”

Before we entered, there came a voice calling our names. Liri and I turned around to see Yira running up the stairs.

Raii turned her head and was surprised to see her sister “Yira? What are you doing here?”
Yira paused to catch her breath “I…want to help you…”
I looked at Liri to see her have a straight face as she spoke “Why? You’ll only get in my way. You, yourself, said you were useless. So what makes you believe you’ll become useful to me?”
Yira stuttered in surprise of her refusal “…I-I…”

I could see her eyes beginning to water. Her voice was crackling like someone who was struggling to breath. The look of a crying girl made me helpless. I took a step forward to help, but was stopped with Liri’s hand on my shoulder. She shook her head and I understood her soundless words and obeyed. I glanced at Yira for one last time before turning back around.

Yira fell on her knees with her hands in front. Her short hair masked over her face, concealing the tears falling from her eyes as she gripped the ground beneath her and raised her head.

“Wait!” she shouted.
Liri halted and turned around “What?”
“Let me go with you!” Yira begged, “I don’t want to be useless anymore! I want to become stronger.”
Liri seemed a bit frustrated with the time being wasted by her plea and agreed to let her join “Come, let’s go.”

Yira’s face lightened up as she stood on her feet and reached up the stairs to Liri’s side. Raii seemed to refuse of her sister’s aid and turned her attention to Liri.

“She cannot be here. She will get hurt.” She whispered.
“Don’t worry.” Said Liri, “Nothing will happen. I promise.”

Raii took a short minute to believe her words before she nodded her head in trusting her. Liri smiled and laughed as she finally kicked down the front doors, forcing them to collapse with a thud like a falling tree. Once the doors had fallen, we were surprised to see the Prince waiting for us in the nicely decorated room, whom turned around and smiled as he made eye contact with Liri. I could tell he was pleased with her being here.

“Greetings to you. Welcome to my beloved home.” he greeted.
Liri hauled out her sword and smirked “Wow. I thought I was going to have a rematch with your Seekers. But to have you here instead, really makes it easier for me. Thank you.”
The Prince chuckled “I am pleased that you’re happy to see me, but I am only here temporarily. It’s just that…I wanted to see you before our fight.”
“That’s so sweet of you.” Liri said mockingly.

The Prince chuckled and vanished as a black, misty shadow and reappeared behind her. I, as well as everyone else, were stunned for the unexpected trick. Liri remained still while her arms slightly trembling. The Prince seemed to be thrilled with Liri’s reaction and knelt his head to whisper closely to in her ear “I will gladly wait for you…and Jira says hello.”

Angered by her name, Liri twisted herself around and swung her sword, only to miss the Prince as he vanished again and reemerge behind Raii.

Raii squealed in fright as the Prince gently touched her hair.

“I will personally wait for you. And when you are to join me with your friends…well, you already know.” he chuckled.

In frustration, Yira dashed toward the Prince and attempted to hit him with her staff, yet failed as he disappeared once more to the middle of the room.

“Quit playing games with me!” Liri yelled, “Fight me!”
The Prince shook his head “Be patient. We will have the our fight. But first, I want to warm you up.”

With that, the Prince turned his back to fade away as three of the same misty shadows rose from the floor to unravel the Seekers, who immediately began to launch at us. Liri grinded her teeth in annoyance and raised her weapon to slash an attack toward the enemies, pushing them backwards.

“Remember what I said? You can’t simply attack them, you must remove their marks.” Raii warned.
“I know.” Liri argued.

Steadily, the Seekers returned to their feet and ran toward us in another attempt of an attack. Liri looked at Yira “Use your magic!”

Yira stammered nervously “B-but. I’m no good!”
“You said you wanted to grow stronger!” Liri screamed, “So do it. Aim your staff at me!”

She obeyed her orders and aimed her staff at her back and apprehensively shot an attack of magic, hitting her body and lacerating her skin. Liri yelped in aguish but smirked as she was lunged toward one of the Seekers and pinned his hood with her blade to the floor, making him stay still in her control. Liri laughed a bit for her success and ripped back the hood to reveal the mark that was imprinted on his forehead. Quickly did she press her two fingers on the Seeker’s forehead and tried to cast her magic to erase it, but as she did, a large spark burst out from the seal, corrupting her trial and propelled her to the ceiling. I watched fearfully as she fell unconscious from the crash and descend to the floor.

I repeatedly called out her name, but she never reacted. She was unresponsive. The remaining two Seekers continued to fulfill their orders and rammed Raii, Yira and myself to the wall. Both Raii and Yira were pinned by their necks by the female Seeker while I was restrained by the other male. Tightly did I grip my hands around my attacker’s arm and tried to pull away, but was unsuccessful.

Was Liri really defeated? I thought something like this would be easy for her like she made it sound. Maybe I shouldn’t have come like she said before. Nevertheless, I shouted Liri’s name one last time, hoping that my voice would reach her as it echoed throughout the room, and as soon as the sound of her name turned into silence, I noticed her hand to twitch to the noise.

The feeling of ease then claimed by body, calming me down and relaxing my worry. Slowly did Liri rise from the floor with her back facing us. I was extremely happy to see that she wasn’t dead, but for some reason, I had a strange feeling developing in my chest, as if something had changed. As soon as Liri turned around, I could tell that something about her was different.

Green fire surrounded her hands as she calmly approached the Seeker on the ground and glared at him. This time, she aimed her hand and shot a beam of her power, hitting his body which caused it to pain him as he struggled and groaned as the seal finally faded. The Seeker then turned numb as he fell into a comatose state while Liri reclaimed her weapon and strolled to the remaining Seekers who kept us imprisoned. Both of them released us from their deathly clutches and raced at Liri with their fists being covered with their black and purplish magic. Liri continued to walk gracefully as she released her sword and raised her hands to capture their heads in her grasp.

Ruthlessly, she cast her green flames as the black magic cursed upon the tattoos tried to counterattack, which ended up to disappear and eventually erasing the cursed markings; resulting in freeing the Seekers from the Prince’s control and falling into slumber as their bodies fell on the floor. I coughed and rubbed my throat and gazed at Liri who stared at me as her magic evaporated and grabbed her sword from where she dropped it.

She knelt on her knees in front of me and touched my face “Are you okay?”

I was caught off guard by Liri’s worry and looked in her eyes as the wired sensation ceased. I was pleased that she was concerned about me. Though I didn’t know why, I didn’t really mind it, for it was something that I liked. At that moment, the pain finally hit Liri as she fell in a sitting position on the floor and placed her hands on her head.

“Ouch! Man, they can surely pack a punch.” she said.
Yira was astonished and clapped her hands “That was amazing!”
Liri grinned “Why thank you. I even amaze myself sometimes.”
Raii also seemed impressed and stood on her feet and walked toward the stairs “Come. I don’t want to waste any time.”
Liri nodded her head as she helped me up and chuckled in interest “Well don’t walk. Run!”

Raii did was she was told and began to run up the stairs with Liri at her side with Yira and I pursuing for several minutes before we reached to the three doors that stood mysteriously in a row. Exhausted, Yira and I bent over and gasped for air as Raii and Liri stayed unaffected and gazed at our next problem.

“This is boring! Let’s just destroy them all.” Liri said.
Raii grabbed Liri’s shoulders “Idiot! We can’t do that.”
“Then what do you suggest we do?” Liri snapped.
Raii turned to her sister “Yira, help me spread the sensor dust.”

Yira agreed and stood beside Raii as she took a deep breath and put her palm beneath her lips to blow out sparkling-pinkish dust. With a swift of her staff, Yira aided in spreading the dust to linger across the thee doors’ surface.

Amazingly, the dust helped laminate the magic circles that were imprinted on the left and middle door, revealing the safe door to be the one on the right. Liri was entertained by the success and willingly kicked down the door which lead to another set of stairs and excitingly ran up first with everyone following behind; and as I was about to chase after her, I suddenly fell as a victim down a secret door that opened beneath my feet without my acknowledgment. I hollered as my body was thrown down to another room that was several feet below and painfully smacked the floor on my side.

After a few minutes of being stiff from the fall, I was able to hoist my upper body with my arms and took notice of someone standing over me and raised my head to discover that it was Jira.

“Hello again.” she said with a evil grin.

I was speechless. I didn’t want to be near her. My eyes examined the room and was unable to find a door as the trap on the ceiling disappeared. There was no place to escape. I was confined in this room with her.

I looked up to see Jira looking down at me extremely close with her hair touching my face. I couldn’t speak. No words came out from my mouth.

“It’s been a while…Eraser.” she mocked.