Personal Monster

Chapter One

Monsters. What exactly are they?
Are they demon? Animal?
Could they even be us?


"Open your eyes." She said. "No. No, I can't. I'm hallucinating. You're not real." I whispered to her. To myself. "I am as real as you are. I'm not here to hurt you. Now, just open your eyes." She commanded in a deeper voice. Gruffer. Demonic. As if I said it loud enough, she might actually prove to be a mere figment of imagination. Or she might return to the hell I imagine she was summoned from.

I knew for a fact she wasn't human. Her skin was a white you would find in words on a blackboard and she had pitch black irises that moved like they could see very little, but really took in every detail and action, no matter how unimportant. Her hair was a deep red that curled and twisted thinner until it reached the small of her back. She looked to be in her mid teens and wore a men's white dress shirt with the sleeves rolled to her elbows under a black suit vest. Her tie and pants were just as dark. On her feet were black dress shoes that were worn in to show where her foot bent as she walked.

"What are you?" I asked, fear lacing my voice as I stared into the deep night of her eyes. "Curiosity killed the cat, you know." She spoke with a smirk. "No," I defied. "Curiosity made the cat suicidal. Found out something he was better off not knowing. The cat killed himself." "Since you put it that way, I am what most would call an exorcism waiting to happen. A demonic force strong enough to swallow you whole. I tried to keep you blissful, ignorant, but no. Razor blades and sleeping pills are in the bathroom. Or are you planning to use a gun?" She said mocking me. But I'm not a cat. I'm James Stevens. I can handle this.

I began sifting through old episodes of ghost programs, recalling methods of banishment. Only one I was properly equipped for. "You are not welcome here! Leave this house immediately!" I shouted to her, waiting for her to dissipate or burst into flames. "Because if you don't want me here I am powerless against you, right? Did you not hear me before?" She questioned sarcastically and then circled her fingers around her mouth, shouting, "Demonic force strong enough to swallow you whole!"

"What are you here for?" I asked quietly. "Maybe I'm here to make you who you are supposed to be." She responded. "Do you have a name, demon?" I questioned, anger beginning to overtake my fear. "Roary." She said.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would really like feedback on this story. I want to know what you liked, what you didn't. I realize that aqua is an odd color for a demon story, but when I was typing it up on my laptop I had limited color choice and the way I designed the title with aqua looked awesome. Unfortunately, I can't do the same on Mibba. Thank you for reading.