Shot Through the Heart

Shot Through the Heart

A scream echoed through the church Kevin and I were currently using as one of our...um... "Torture Centers," if you will, causing me to giggle.

I loved it when they screamed...

Our toy for this evening was a human male with dark brown eyes and pale blond hair, which was now matted with blood. He had to be at least twenty-six, five years older than I, but he was still yummy in my opinion. Kevin had the man pinned to the large gold cross at the front of the church, a dagger piercing each of his limbs and holding him against the holy object. His body was bare, a deep cut going horizontally across his stomach that gave Kevin access to the organs he was currently playing with.

"Aren't you glad we picked a human this time?" I asked Kevin as I strode over to him calmly, already enjoying the scent of a werewolf covered in human blood.

"Definitely," the blood-covered man replied, smiling to show off the slight fangs of a Were. "They're more fragile than members of our own species." His smile grew as his light blue eyes darted to me. "They break quicker."

"Yeah." I frowned suddenly, now realizing a problem that came with using humans as our playthings. "But that means they die faster, too."

"Ah, well," Kevin said, wiping his bloodied hands on his jeans. "It's still fun while it lasts." Lightly, he touched my waist-length red hair, running his fingers through it until he decided to trace the line of my jaw with his fingertips.

"Yeah," I said, my voice almost a whisper. The loving look in the male's pretty blue eyes always did this to me...It made my psychotic personality a little more...sane. Softer, even. Kinder. The moment that undeniable love gave way to Kevin's usual lust, however, my slight insanity returned.

The human let out a soft groan of pain that Kevin and I ignored. I innocently began to run a hand through his dark brown hair, only to stop halfway through and grab a handful of it. I roughly spun him around, keeping that hair in my grasp as I grabbed both of his wrists. I yanked him back into me and licked the edge of his ear, my green eyes flashing dangerously in the dim light of the church. A moan escaped the twenty-two-year-old werewolf as my fangs sank into his neck.

"And this is why I want a vampire as a girlfriend instead of a Were," Kevin panted. "They bite more than you do."

"Hey! I bite you all the time!" I argued once my teeth were out of his flesh.

"No, you don't!"

"My apologies," I snarled before biting his pale neck once more, savagely jerking sideways and allowing my fangs to tear through his flesh.

"There ya go," Kevin moaned loudly, pressing himself back into me and obviously begging for more.

Before I could give him what he wanted, however, a shout reached our sensitive ears from outside the church.

"They're in here!"

I growled at the sound of the familiar voice. "Ed and the others have found us." I released Kevin and wiped the blood away from my mouth using my arm, left bare by the sexy black leather corset I was wearing. My green eyes narrowed when the human used the last of his strength to call for help.

"Shut up, you stupid weakling," I growled while reaching for the set of daggers strapped to my right thigh in a nifty little set of sheaths, peeking out from beneath my pleated black miniskirt. I grabbed one of the silver knives and threw it quickly in the blond's direction, smirking, satisfied, when the blade pierced the human's throat and permanently silenced him.

Kevin grabbed my hand suddenly and began leading me toward the church's back door. "We have to get out of here before they catch us, or we're done for."

"I know," I told him as we broke into a run.

Kevin and I were considered criminals in the secret world of werewolves. We killed our own kind on a daily basis, torturing them simply for our own amusement. The bastards waiting for us outside were a sort of werewolf police force. They'd been after us ever since we had first started playing this little game of ours a few years ago. Today was the first day we had ever used a human as our plaything. This was bound to have more than just the usual Were authorities after us, seeing as killing humans was strictly forbidden. Humans didn't even know we existed, and if people like me and Kevin were to begin using them as toys all the time, they were bound to discover us.

My combat boots made soft thumps on the cement sidewalk once we reached the outside, annoying me since Kevin's own boots made no noise. I'd always been jealous of his ability to be so quiet all the time.

"There they are!" came Ed's voice again as we continued on our way through the cemetery at the back of the church.

"Fuck," I swore angrily, hearing the sound of more footsteps behind me.

"We're going to have to fight them," Kevin told me while pushing open the wrought iron gate at the back of the cemetery and pulling me through it.

"What? Why?" I asked, surprised. Kevin never let me fight our enemies. He always said it was too dangerous even though he knew what I could do.

"They can smell the blood on my neck. We aren't going to be able to make it to a place where I can clean my Delilah-inflicted wound before they catch up to us, so we might as well just take them on now," the brunette explained, giving me a teasing little smirk.

I pouted as I watched the blood from his neck drip down to his T-shirt, the crimson substance staining the black cloth. I smirked after a moment and stopped running, turning to face my opponents with a simple, "Righto, Mr. Meanieface!"

Kevin slid to a stop behind me and released my hand. I could feel him smirking at my back.

"Delilah May Smith and Kevin Allen Green, correct?" Ed asked once he and his allies were standing before Kevin and me, watching us carefully. The man's brown eyes were focused solely on me at the moment, but I knew he was aware of Kevin as well.

"Mhm," I answered simply. "And you're here to arrest us, right?"

Much to my surprise, Ed answered, "No." His eyes narrowed. "We're here to kill you."

The man lunged at me along with his companions, and I couldn't help but smirk. "Sweet."

I closed my eyes when I felt Kevin rush past me, planning to guard me until I changed just like he always did when we were in fights. Slowly, my fingernails lengthened into claws, my fangs growing more pronounced. Once this slight change was complete, I opened my eyes, revealing that they were now an interesting gold color, my pupils having become thin black slits.

This ability to only half transform is what made me so dangerous. It also made me a rarity among my own kind. Not many werewolves could stop halfway through the change from human to wolf, but I was obviously one of the lucky few. This half-change only lasted for five minutes, tops, although my strength and speed were dramatically increased during this time. All I needed was five minutes.

"Kevin!" I called, causing the male to instantly pull himself out of the fray.

"Have fun," he said to me with a smirk as he wiped a bit of blood away from a cut on his cheek. Luckily, that was the only injury he had.

"Okay," I giggled before attacking Ed without hesitation. I was too fast for him, so he didn't even get the chance to fight back before I tore through his neck with my claws. Blood sprayed from what was left of his neck as his body dropped to the ground beside his head.

I looked around at all of the shocked, wide-eyed Weres that had just watched their leader get cut down in a split second, my own gold eyes wide and innocent.

"Oops," I said with another giggle. "I think I broke him."

The remaining werewolves shook off their surprise and jerked into motion, all nine of them heading right for me. Kevin had been completely forgotten now that they had me to deal with.

"You guys are too slow," I taunted, suddenly behind one of the men. He didn't even have time to freak out before I literally ripped his head off. Blood rained down upon me as I dropped the head and let the body fall. "This is messy," I sighed, although I wasn't fazed by this in the slightest.

The Weres came after me again, but I took them all down quickly. One guy had his heart ripped out. Another man found his torso separated from his legs. Yet another had all of his limbs sliced mercilessly from his body. The rest of the men had silver daggers stabbed into their foreheads. Silver was our main weakness, so stabbing werewolves in the forehead and letting their brains sizzle on the end of a silver knife was a very cruel thing to do.

Guess why I loved doing it.

I had three minutes and fifty-two seconds left. Told ya I was fast.

Just when I had started to relax, however, planning to change back to normal, I heard Kevin shout from behind me, "Delilah, look out!"

As I quickly spun around, I felt Kevin move to protect me, having realized I wouldn't be able to save myself.

My breath caught and my gold eyes widened.

"Kevin..."

A silver bullet, right through his heart. He died after only a second of pure agony.

"Kevin..." I whispered again. I fell to my knees beside his corpse and screamed, "Kevin!" Tears fell from my eyes as I stroked the boy's pale cheek gently. "Kevin..."

Carefully, I plucked the silver bullet, still burning his flesh, from his heart, hissing when the bloody object caused my fingertips to begin to sizzle. I dropped it and turned to look in the direction from which it had come.

A woman was watching me from several yards away, her gray eyes cold and her brown hair blowing gently in the night's light breeze. In her right hand was a simple, shiny pistol, the one that had been used to kill the love of my life.

The wind carried the scent of Were to me from this girl, and I growled. "Who the hell are you?"

She didn't answer me, but what she planned to do was made clear when she pointed her weapon at me. Before she had the chance to fire, I charged at her.

She switched into her own half-changed form in the split second before I reached her, shocking me. No one was supposed to be able to transform that fast, not even just to their half-changed state.

This strange woman dodged a swift swing of my claws, retaliating with a swing of her own. I leapt back in order to evade the attack, only to have to roll sideways a moment later when she shot at me. The bullet whizzed right past my ear. Snarling, I went for her throat, becoming savage in my desperation to end this fight before she had the chance to fire again.

She jumped back in an attempt to escape my fangs, but I followed her quickly, my teeth finding her neck as we fell to the ground. She let out a cry when I tore through her jugular vein, covering myself in even more Were blood.

I relaxed, slowly releasing the woman's neck when she went limp beneath me.

I thought she was dead.

I thought I was safe.

Blood spilled from my mouth suddenly, a terrible pain coursing through my body.

I had thought wrong...

I reached up slowly to touch the part of my chest that was steaming, barely noticing that my claws, fangs, and eyes were going back to normal. I rolled off of the woman, who was now truly dead, and stared down at my smoking wound.

Shot through the heart with a silver bullet...

I laughed softly as the world began to darken around me. "Same death as you, Kevin," I whispered, barely hanging on now. "Too bad there's no one here to pull the bullet out for me..."

And then, I was gone.