The Lake

lets make a new start

It’s true that everyone in life has one place in the world that means a lot to them. Sometimes that place can mean everything to that one living soul. Other times it’s just a fragment of everything, a tiny piece in the jigsaw of their life.

The place could be anywhere. A café in Paris where one discovered the meaning of his life. A nightclub in London where they fell in love. A theme park in Florida where she conquered her fear of heights. The hill in Scotland where he spread his parents ashes. A place where dreams came true. Where true love began or ended. Where everything felt at peace and right with the world. These places had captured positive memories. They’d taken them, time stamped them and locked them away in the person’s brain. They were the places they’d never forget, the moments they’d share with all they crossed paths with, the ones they’d hold dear until their last dying breath.

But, the truth is, not all of these meaningful places are for happy memories, good reason or positive outcomes.

Lily Forbes knew this all too well.

The lake was her place. She had spent the majority of her summers there, up until being sixteen. The sixteenth year was the one that drove her away. She swore she’d never return after the events that had occurred one tragic night.

But never returning didn’t erase the memory.

”Sooooo, you and Alfie, huh?” Nadine nudged her side teasingly, reaching her hand into the bag of popcorn she’d brought with her. The pair had spread their beach towels out on the grass verge over looking the lake. It was a warm evening, the boys and Meredith were still frolicking around in the water, splashing one another and pretending to be sharks.

Lily shrugged. “So what? It’s been a long time coming, hasn’t it? We’ve known each other since we were, what? Seven?”

“I know, and I’m glad it’s finally happening. You’ve been way more carefree this summer.”

Lily smiled across at her best friend, reaching into the packet of popcorn for herself and chewing on a few pieces, looking out at the lake.

It was true. She and Alfie had been a long time coming. He was perfect in every sense of the word. He made her laugh until her cheeks ached, the sound of his voice made her melt inside and the sight of his face sent an eruption of butterflies fluttering around her stomach. He was Lily’s sixteen year old world. She adored him and he adored her. It had only taken them nine years to realise it.

“Let’s just hope Daddy Forbes doesn’t find out, eh?” Nadine chuckled, uncapping her water bottle and taking a swig.

Lily’s romantic thoughts were suddenly tainted. Of course Nadine could laugh at her point. It was the stone cold truth. Lily’s father was fiercely protective of his only daughter. Unlike her friends she’d never had a boyfriend before because of this. Her father questioned her friends, so anyone she dated would probably get the Spanish Inquisition.

Nadine back tracked at the sight of her best friend’s worried expression. “Don’t worry about your dad, babe. As he always says he only wants what’s best for you, but at the same time, you’re sixteen years old, you’re entitled to have a boyfriend if you wish.”

Lily nodded, all doubt wiped from her mind as everyone started to emerge from the water, limbs sparkling with acidic jewels of water. Meredith squeezed out her long auburn hair, before chasing Adam up the verge, blades of grass sticking to the soles of their feet. They were followed by Lucas, who grabbed Meredith around the waist, tackling her to the ground. Bobby and Alfie were still floating close to the edge of the lake. Lily smiled and rose to her feet, trekking down the damp grass to the stony edge.

“You two staying in for a bit?” She asked.

Alfie squinted, shielding his eyes from the setting sun. He smiled and floated to the edge, pulling himself up into a standing position. He stepped up onto the grass, “after I’ve done this.” He caught her lips against his own, kissing her sweetly. She fell into his chest and wrapped her arms around his slender waist, squeezing him tightly.

“Be careful then. You know the real sharks and crocs come out at night.”

His low chuckle echoed in his rib cage and Lily’s ear. “I promise I won’t get eaten.” He pressed a wet kiss to her forehead, before jumping back into the lake and swimming off, Bobby hot on his heels.

Lily let out a content sigh, watching Alfie swim right to the opposite side of the lake. He waved wildly once he was there and proceeded to dunk Bobby’s head under the surface. She laughed and waved back, not knowing that as soon as she turned her back it would be the last time she ever saw Alfie Henderson.

For the next day the lake was cordoned off with yellow police tape. It was alarming and threatening, filled with mystery. Lily lead the way down to the tape and looked at the uniformed police man standing there, brimming with authority, his face was solemn.

“What happened?” She asked, curiously, looking around at the lake. Men in crinkly forensic suits and latex gloves were scouring the edges of the lake for something Lily couldn’t ever wish to know about.

“A couple of boys were here last night, one dead, the other half dead,” he spoke straight, his voice cracking slightly. The crime was hitting him hard, tugging away at weak spots. The death of kids was always a hard subject to get ones head around. It was wrong, unnatural. A life ended before it even began.

Lily’s blood ran cold in her veins. Her heart slowed, her breath shallow. Words caught in her throat, gluing themselves to the walls of it. She couldn’t speak. She couldn’t breathe. Every moment of the previous night was flashing before her eyes. The image of Alfie’s face, his smile as he dived back into the water and swam for his life, it was burned on her retinas. Even when she closed her eyes, it was there. She touched her lips gently with the tips of her fingers. His touch still lingered, tingling her skin, sending pleasant shivers down her spine.

“Who were they?” She managed to choke out, her eyes still closed.

“I’m sorry, I’m not allowed to tell you that yet.”

Lily forced her eyelids upwards. Her blue irises were cold and filled with hatred and anger. “Please,” she choked again, her voice weak and strangled. Her throat was constricting, tighter and tighter. “They could’ve been our friends.”

The police officer looked around uncertainly. Lily could see the cogs turning in his head. Should he tell these two innocent girls and put them out of their misery? Or not? He swallowed hard, his Adam’s apple bobbing underneath the creamy flesh of his neck. “If I tell you, you can’t tell anybody, clear?” Lily nodded fiercely, Nadine copying her action. “The kid, the one who’s still alive, his name’s Bobby Jenkins. We don’t know the other one yet, he needs to be identified. But that Bobby kid, he said his friend was Alfie somebody.”

“Henderson.” Lily nodded, taking two steps back. Her throat was closing up, her vision blurring and fading away. The slights melting and merging into the blackness, sounds getting quieter and quieter. She fell, hitting the grass with a gentle thud, allowing herself to be swallowed up by the darkness.


Six years. Six long years had passed since that day. It changed Lily’s life in more ways than one. Her father was jailed for Alfie’s murder. She never wished to know the ins and outs of how and why it happened. All she knew was that a piece of her had been brutally torn away and wouldn’t ever be replaced again. She ditched the lake. Nobody ever went back after Alfie died.

Until now.

Six years later. Sixteen year old Lily had grown up. She’d thrown herself into school, scribbling her way through coursework and exams to get to where she’d always dreamed of. University accepted her, and fashion design became her destiny. It pained her every day that Alfie wasn’t standing beside her through every achievement. He wasn’t in the audience when she graduated. He didn’t see her get her first job. He didn’t see her do anything.

But he did.

He wasn’t there physically, but the emotional attachment was still there. Lily had never returned to the lake. She’d left on a stretcher, and never went back. It was only now that she decided to. She needed to. The lake had been her place. It was her place of pure peace and tranquillity. It was where she fell in love and had that love taken away from her. It was meaningful in a sad way.

Twenty two year old Lily Forbes stood on the wooden platform. It was new, just built that summer. She ran a hand through her hair, before looking out to the opposite side of the lake. For a second she swore she saw Alfie waving across at her. Shaking her head, she smiled. “I miss you every single day, but I have to go now, and never come back. This is it, a final goodbye. I loved you, Alfie.” Tears stung her eyes, but she smiled again and nodded, turning her back on the lake and walking away.

Now was the time to close the door on the lake, and find a new special place.