Oh My, My, My

She's Not Like Other Girls

Image
The moment the guys moved from in front of me, revealing Grace—as I had never seen her before—I froze. I forced my eyes to blink a few times, focusing on the sight before me. She looked amazing. But stupid me couldn’t tell her that. I don’t know if it was because I didn’t want to reveal my feelings still or because I was truly speechless, maybe a bit of both.

I hopped in the driver’s seat, only to force my focus away from Grace. Though truthfully that didn’t work. Not only was she the only thing running through my mind, but I also found my eyes constantly looking in the rearview mirror—finding Grace easily, a small frown on her face as she talked with Emily and her friend.

Within a block of the lake house I pulled over, parking between a few cars lining the side of the road. Everyone filed out of the van, making their way to the party in pairs, but I stayed in place. I needed to distance myself from Grace, both physically and mentally.

I honestly used to like Grace for who she was, not what she looked like. Which is a very rare concept for me. And by rare I mean never—ever—before Grace. With me, it’s always a physical attraction. I tend to think with my dick rather than my head. What can I say? I am a guy.

But Grace is different, always has been. Don’t get me wrong; it’s not that she isn’t attractive. I always knew she was hiding something under those band tees, but I liked Grace for Grace. She was sweet, creative, innocent, funny, and an amazing listener—but now, now I’m starting to think with my dick again and that is probably not a good idea.

Correction: it’s the worst idea. Why did those girls have to make her over? She didn’t need it. Now all I can think about was jumping my best friend. So, for now, I’ll stay away. Just for tonight. I told myself. Tomorrow she will be back to normal, and I wont have to worry about wanting to jump her bones.

All of a sudden, someone slammed into my right shoulder, sending my head against the window. “Owe. Fuck. What was that for?” I turned to see that Kenny had gotten in the passenger seat.

“Seriously dude? What is wrong with you?” he asked.

“What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with you?” I retorted.

“Why didn’t you say something to Grace?” he continued, ignoring my comment. “Did we not agree that if nothing else, you’re still her friend? She was looking to you for support. Everyone could tell she didn’t feel right all dressed up like that. She needed you to tell her she wasn’t being crazy; that she didn’t look ridiculous. Yet, all you can do is say it’s time to leave?”

“What?” I half yelled. “You wanted me to tell your little sister that she looked hot? With you standing right next to me? Dude, you’re messed up, you know that?”

“Why not? Halvo had no problem. Besides, all I want is for her to be happy. I don’t have to like the fact that you’re the one who can do that.”

“No. No, stop right there.” I got out of the car and walked in the opposite direction of the party, attempting to cut our conversation short. Unfortunately, Kenny decided to follow. Unexpectedly, I turned on my heel, getting in his face. “Do you know what I was thinking about back there? I’ll tell you what I was thinking! I’ve never, not once, thought about Grace the way I do other girls. She’s not like other girls. You know as well as I do that I tend to think with my dick and not much else. But Grace has always been that exception.” I paused to catch my breath, realizing I had never yelled at Kenny like this before.

Taking a step back, I continued, “Until tonight! Do you really want me to be wishing I could bang your sister, instead of just spending time with her? No, I don’t think you do. I can’t be around her while she’s dressed like that.”

“Fine. I get it,” Kenny said calmly. “No Grace tonight. Now can we please get to the party?”

“You go ahead. I’ll stay in the car.”

It was Kenny’s turn to blow up in my face. I was being childish; I knew that. “No, you wont. We are both going to this party, whether you like it or not. What happened to the whole protector act, huh? If you and Halvo—hell the rest of the guys, too, for that matter—can flip when seeing Grace all girly, what do you think the guys in there will think?” he questioned, jabbing his finger over his shoulder—in the direction of the party.

My eyes followed him as he turned around and strode towards the lake—without seeing if I would follow—he didn’t have to, he knew I would.

I found the alcohol at once, knowing I couldn’t face Grace again tonight without it.
♠ ♠ ♠
John's reaction to a made-over Grace!! :D
I really like this chapter for some reason. I tend to like John's chapters, where he let's us into his head. And the next chapter is even better—it has some drama. ;)

You guys should check out the new story I'm writing with potatochipsareyummy called I Wouldn't Change A Thing. It's an sort of an ATL fic—but not. You'll see what I mean later...so look out, 'cause it'll be out soon. C: