Forgetting the Forgotten

Requests

“And over there is the town drug store. The only one for about 3 miles actually. And the sad thing is, they don’t even have gummy bears,” I said, pointing at Miller’s Drug Store on our right. We were currently on Freedom Street which was the main road for anything and everything. Next to me, Charles laughed. I stopped and turned to face him, a grin planted firmly on my face. “That’s pretty much everything. Now you have to do something for me,” I told him.

Charles raised an eyebrow, hands in pockets like always. “Oh?” he asked, smiling a little bit. I nodded and walked over to a bench. The street was absolutely deserted because there was a huge ceremony at the church today. I don’t know what for though. I sat down and patted the spot next to me, indicating that Charles should sit down too. He did, shaking his head to get the hair out of his eyes.

“Alright so I’m only going to ask you one thing as payment for your tour,” I told him with a small smile.

He gasped in fake shock. “I wasn’t aware that this tour would cost me something!” he said dramatically. I laughed at him before continuing.

“I want you to convince my mom to let me go to school,” I told him. His smile dropped and he looked at me in surprise. I don’t think that’s what he was expecting.

“You don’t go to school?” he asked.

“I’ve been home-schooled for the past year and I’m not really sure why,” I said, only partially lying.

“Well, I suppose I could try…” he said, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck. I grinned and gave him a huge hug which he returned after he got over the shock. I’d finally get to go to public school again! “What year will you be in?” he asked when we pulled away. I thought for a moment.

“I think I’ll be a senior,” I said after a bit.

Charles smiled. “Me too.” We sat on that bench talking for hours before we realized the sun was setting.

“Oh, I should probably get home. My mom will be wondering where I am,” I said, looking up at the sky. Charles smiled and stood up, holding out his arm.

“My lady,” he said with a bow. I giggled and took his arm, letting him help me up.

“Kind sir.” We began to walk towards where my house was, happily chatting about everything. That’s when it started. Charles didn’t know. Hell, I didn’t even know it could happen. But if I had any idea, I never would have been friends with him. Not for my sake, but for his.