Chasing Fireflies

The Big Day Has Arrived

The Motel 8 on the outskirts of Los Angeles was small, and I was amazed that it didn’t have much business, considering it was the only motel in a three-mile radius. As soon as I opened the door to my room, the cold air rushed at me from the vent by the window. I breathed in deeply before walking through the doorway and closing the door behind me. I placed my single suitcase on the queen bed and began unpacking. I only took out my pajamas and my toiletries before heading to the shower.

The warm water felt great on my skin, which was cold from the air conditioning the motel room had blown at me in the previous few moments. It took me only seven minutes to wash my hair and my body. When I finished, I put on my pajamas and put my hair up in a messy bun, knowing that it would naturally curl when I took it out. As I was searching through my suitcase for my book, there was a knock on my door.

It was Garrett. “Hey, Garrett.”

Garrett was smirking. “Loving the pajamas.” I glared at him. “Seriously, you look cute in pink.”

I sighed. “What are you here for, Garrett?”

“Pat is taking too long in the shower. Can I use yours?”

I motioned toward the bathroom. “Go ahead.” Garrett smiled at me and offered a thanks in response. I shrugged.

“Make sure you bring your clothes in there!” I yelled after him.

Garrett turned around. “Like I would really change out here with you watching.”

I shooed him off and he retreated into the bathroom. Finally finding my book, I laid down on the bed and started to read. Five minutes later, Garrett emerged in only a pair of sweatpants. I looked up, not phased by his bare chest.

He caught my gaze. “Thanks,” he said again.

I smiled. “No problem.”

Garrett left to go back to his room and half an hour later, I put my book away, turned off the light, and went to bed.

&&

My phone buzzed, waking me up. I grabbed it off the nightstand and read the text message from Pat. Breakfast in ten.

Is everyone up? I texted back.

I hope so. I sent the text to everyone.

I sighed, figuring that I needed to get up and texted him back. Okay. I’ll see you soon.

I got dressed--nothing fancy, just a tye-dyed t-shirt, jean shorts and some sandals--and forgoed putting on makeup for the moment. I didn’t take anything down to the lobby; I figured that I wouldn’t need anything for just eating breakfast. Pat was the only one there when I arrived and I took the seat to the right of him. “These tables are tiny,” I noted. The square tables supposedly fit four people, but I had a feeling that we’d have to sit, at most, two to a table. “So where is everyone else?”

“Well, Garrett’s getting dressed, and I never checked on the others, but I’m guessing since there’s food involved, they’ll be down here pretty soon.”

I nodded. “Probably. Do you want to get some food now?” Pat nodded a ‘yes’ and we got up to get our breakfast. As I was pouring milk in my Frosted Flakes, Garrett entered the lobby, his hair neatly combed and looking quite handsome if I do say so myself. “You’re all dressed up,” I said as he approached me.

Garrett smirked. “Today’s a big day, my dear Laurel. You of all people should know that.” He grabbed a bowl and a packet of oatmeal and opened the packet, pouring the oatmeal into the paper bowl before placing the bowl in the microwave and pressing the one button.

“So are you nervous? Excited? What?” I glanced up at Garrett--he’s got a good four inches on me--and waited for his reply.

“Both? It’s something we’ve wanted for so long, yet at the same time we can’t help but acknowledge the fact that we could screw this up big time.” The microwave beeped and Garrett took the bowl out of it and carried it back to the table. I followed him, even though I wasn’t done grabbing all of the food I wanted; I knew our conversation wasn’t over.

“Well you have every right to be nervous,” I replied, scooting over so Garrett could sit next to me. We really had to squeeze, practically proving my two-to-a-table theory--the three of us weren’t that large of people. “I mean, this is the defining moment of your career. Think of it this way,” I said, taking a bite of my already soggy cereal. “It’s like Freshman year, Biology Honors? When we had to dissect the frog and you didn’t want to do it, but it was half of our final exam so you had to do it to pass the class because you were on the verge of failing? And then you did it? That was the defining moment in your Biology Honors career, and somehow you got over that. You can get over this. You just have to think positive and go out there and play your heart out. Pretend you’re back in Arizona, playing for only me and a few other friends from our school.”

“I know you’re right… but it still feels weird.” Garrett shifted in his seat, hesitated, and then decided to take a bite of his oatmeal. “This needs some sugar,” he announced. He got up and grabbed a Splenda packet from beside the coffee machine and poured the white powder into his oatmeal before stirring it and taking another bite. “Much better.”

“Of course it feels weird, Garrett.” I told him, getting back to the conversation. “But it will all be over soon, I swear of it. Just stay calm and think positive. I have complete faith in you guys. I know you can do this, okay?” Garrett nodded.

“Thanks,” he said. “Really. I’m glad you came with us on this trip.”

I laughed. “It’s seriously no problem, Garrett. I wouldn’t miss this for the world.”

Garrett smiled. “I know you wouldn’t. You’re our number one supporter.”

“Yeah,” Pat agreed, jumping into the conversation. “Like Garrett said last night: you’re our number one girl.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, but Pat and Garrett are right: you’re the best, Laurel.” John took the seat next to Pat and across from me. I stared at him. “What?” he said. I motioned to all the food on the table. John laughed. “It’s a little crowded, isn’t it?” Garrett, Pat and I nodded. “It’s fine. Kennedy, Jared and I will sit at this table.” John got up and then sat down at the next table over, where Kennedy and Jared were already situated.

I looked at my watch. “It’s 7:34 now, so we have about an hour and a half before checkout. The meeting with the record execs is at 10:45, so… we have about three hours to get pumped up and awake.” I shot a look at Jared whose eyes were almost closed.

“I’m awake,” he said.

“Must have been some kind of party,” I whispered to Pat. He laughed. John looked at us weirdly and I raised my eyebrow. “So, who’s hungry?” John, Jared, and Kennedy shot their arms up, except Jared’s arm didn’t go up quite as quickly as the others. As Jared passed me, I grabbed a hold of his arm. “Get some coffee,” I told him. He smirked.

“So,” Pat said. He had already finished his bagel and orange juice, and I was done eating my cereal. I had decided not to go back and get anything else; I wasn’t that hungry anyway.

“So?” I asked.

Pat smiled. “I don’t know.”

“I don’t know either.” We both laughed. “I’m going to head up,” I announced. I stood up and threw away my trash.

“Alright,” Pat said. “Come knock on our doors around 8:40, okay?” I nodded. “You know which rooms we’re in?”

“12 and 13, right?” Pat nodded. “Alright, I’ll see you then.” I smiled at Garrett, who had just finished his oatmeal. “Rock on, okay, Nickelsen? You’re going to do great.” I patted him on his shoulder and then walked back to my room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Um, remember when I said that updates weren't going to come that fast? I lied. If inspiration keeps hitting me like it has been lately, this is about the length of time between updates. 2-4 days? Yeah. I love you guys! Ahhhh! <3