Status: FIN.

The Roots That Tied to My Feet

what i wanted to say was

Melanie stood in the back of the crowd, tapping her foot to the familiar beat coming from the stage. The blonde boy in the front of the room was dancing around the stage, hopping from side to side, touching hands with girls. “I heard you’re talking—,” Brian Dales began, letting the crowd finish the rest of the chorus, a smile wide on his lips. The song soon came to an end, “You guys are amazing. Thank you!”

Melanie watched as The Summer Set exited the stage and the crowd screamed at the closing curtain. She chuckled before looking over to her left where Lucy was manning the merch table. She looked completely flustered as she tied her blonde curls into a high bun and rolled up her sleeves. She began shuffling through boxes as girls’ screamed demands at her and a small grimace and look of fear was on her lips.

Melanie jogged over to where the girl was and joined her behind the booth. “What can I help you with?”

Lucy smiled in relief before nodding her head at a teenager who had a pissy look on her lips. “I asked for a small,” the girl ordered, curtly.

Lucy sighed, “I said we don’t have any smalls.”

“Well, I want one,” the girl said.

Melanie rolled her eyes at the girl, “Hey you little brat, we don’t have any smalls. So, how about a different shirt or size or leave?”

The girl’s mouth hung open before she shoved her money back in her pocket and stomped away. Melanie rolled her eyes, “I have a really bad temper with girls like that.”

Lucy chuckled, “Thank you for your help.”

“Of course girl, I used to do this all through high school. I know what you’re going through,” she laughed. “Besides, I was getting kind of bored back there alone.”

“Where’d your sister go?”

“Probably to suck face with her boyfriend. It’s seriously almost repulsing,” Melanie laughed, crinkling her nose.

“Melanie Louise Hendricks!”

Melanie and Lucy turned to the raspy voice they were both familiar with. They watched together as John walked over to them with a frown on his lips. His green eyes bore into Melanie’s and he put his finger in her face, “What the hell did I say about verbally abusing our fans?”

She shrugged, “She was a complete little diva and being horrible to your girlfriend. Desperate times call for desperate measures my friend,” she smiled slightly, and placed her hand on John’s chest; his expression softening a bit.

John shook his head angrily and sighed, “You have to stop yelling at the teenage girls.”

Lucy laughed and touched his arm lightly, “Melanie was just backing me up. The girl was a little beezy.”

Melanie watched as John laughed and stared into Lucy’s eyes. He gave her a small kiss on the cheek before looking at Melanie, “Be nice while I’m gone,” he instructed.

Melanie rolled her eyes as the boy walked back stage. The crowd began to go back to the stage and away from the merch tables as the lights went down and A Rocket to the Moon took the stage. She looked over at the blonde next to her who was watching John talk to fans and she had a smile on her lips. “He’s a cutie,” Lucy said lovingly.

Melanie chuckled looking at the love struck girl next to her, “I think everyone and their mom have had a crush on John at one point in their lives.”

“Have you?” Lucy asked intrigued. She turned her body to face Melanie. She didn’t look threatened, just interested.

“Uh—yeah, I did at one point. But that was a long time ago,” She replied nervously, using her hand to brush away the conversation metaphorically.

“Did you guys have a thing?” Lucy giggled.

“You could say that, but I mean it was nothing serious. We’re better as friends,” Melanie shrugged.

Lucy nodded her head, “Well, give me the dirt.”

Melanie lifted her eyebrow and chuckled. She began folding shirts, trying to distract herself. “What dirt?”

“You know, his flaws. I mean, John and I seem to like each other and I just want to know what I’m in for before he asks me to be his girlfriend…I mean if he even does,” Lucy said shyly.

Melanie bit her lip and stared at the boy in front of her. He was running his hand through his sandy blonde hair, his green eyes shining in excitement. His thin lips were pulled into a crooked grin and his raspy voice lingered in the air as he talked to fans, “Nothing is really wrong with him,” she said softly, realizing the truth in her words. “He’s a great guy.”

Lucy rolled her eyes and pushed her blonde hair out of her eyes, “No one is perfect. Spill!”

An idea suddenly struck Melanie’s mind. She didn’t know why she wanted to do it so bad or if she would even follow through but as her mouth opened all of her guilt flew out the window. “Well, I mean, John has never really been a reliable relationship guy.”

“What do you mean?” Lucy questioned worriedly.

“I mean he’s always gone on tour and you know, what happens on tour stays on tour,” Melanie replied, biting her lip nervously, hoping the girl was falling into her trap.

It’s not that she didn’t like Lucy; she really did. She was beautiful and she was real. She didn’t seem to be into John for his social status and Melanie appreciated that as much as he did. Lucy just wasn’t the girl Melanie thought John should be with though; she wasn’t good enough for him even though she was nearly perfect to most men.

“Oh, I didn’t think John was like that…” she said softly, sounding disappointed. “Maybe having a girlfriend could change him.”

“Maybe,” Melanie shrugged. “But, I mean, John has always been a player; ever since I’ve known him, which is oh I don’t know, twenty one years.”

Lucy leaned forward on her elbows and looked at her, “Hmm, I didn’t know that…maybe he can change, you know?”

Melanie shrugged and turned, seeing a brunette boy standing behind them with a look on his face that she couldn’t read. He looked at her causing her to turn to Lucy. “Why don’t you go hang out with John for a bit? I can hold down the fort for a while.”

Lucy grinned, “Are you certain?”

“Of course! Go pump him up, shoo shoo!” Melanie giggled fluttering her hands at the laughing girl. She continued folding shirts and placing them in boxes when the boy behind her spoke.

“What the hell was all that about, Mel?” Kennedy asked, grabbing her wrist.

“What are you talking about, Kenny?” Melanie asked nonchalantly before looking into his green eyes.

“Are you sabotaging them?” He asked curiously. He didn’t sound angry, just dissatisfied.

“Why would I ever do that?” She asked, trying to hide the jealously in her voice. She wasn’t sure where all these feeling were coming from but she wished they’d go back to the place she had kept them buried for the past three years.

Kennedy stayed quiet for a moment before grabbing her hand delicately in his. He used his other hand and placed it on her chin causing her to look at him. “You still have feelings for him don’t you?”

Melanie bit her lip. She had a choice; be honest with how she truly felt or be the person she had been so intent on being these past years. She finally nodded her head slowly, the better part of her coming over her mind.

“I knew it,” he whispered releasing her chin. “Mel, why are you still with Ben?”

“I love him,” she spoke honestly.

Melanie had never believed that there was just one person for everyone. She never believed in the whole ‘man was split into two pieces and searched forever for his other half.’ No, she had always been sure that many people could fit with many lovers; she had believed that since the day she realized she had feelings for Kennedy Brock. It was possible to be perfect for more than just one person—love wasn’t monogamous.

“You love John too though,” Kennedy said.

“I love Ben more,” Melanie sighed, running a hand through her long brown hair. “Kennedy, you know I’ll always have a soft spot for John…just like I’ll always have a soft spot for you. But things change, I changed…and I like the person I am now. I like the person I am with Ben.”

The boy sighed, “I know what you mean, Mel. Just, if you really love John then you’ll stop stringing him along. He’s happy with Lucy, babe. This is the first time he has been happy since you left.”

Melanie groaned, “This stays between us right? I don’t want John thinking something that it’s not. I’m marrying Ben.”

Kennedy nodded his head and pulled her into his arms tightly. “Melanie, I love you hun. John loves you too, but just know he’s not going to be waiting for you forever even though I still think he’s waiting right now. So, if you want your chance you need to take it before it’s gone because I don’t know how much longer you have.”

She nodded her head, “I know, Kenny. I love you too.”

Kennedy smiled as pulled away keeping his hands resting on her arms. “I missed this,” he chuckled.

“Missed what?” Melanie questioned.

“Me helping you with your John problems,” he laughed. “By the way, thank you for picking John in high school and potentially breaking my heart.”

Melanie giggled, “Because now you have Charlie?”

Kennedy blushed, “Yeah, and she—she’s amazing. I uh, I think I’m going to ask her to marry me when she comes home from her parent’s for Christmas.”

She squealed and clapped her hands together, “Oh my God Kennedy! This is so exciting!”

She jumped into the boy’s arm and gave him a tight hug. Their celebration was broken when John came over and grabbed Kennedy’s arm. Melanie recognized the look on John’s lips—he wore it whenever she was around another guy in high school; jealousy. Was John really still waiting? “Hey, we’re on soon. Get backstage.”

Melanie looked away from the boy she had just admitted her love for and back to the boy who she (once again) had admitted it to. “Thanks for the talk, Kenny.”

He smiled and kissed her cheek, “Anytime, Melanie. Just please do me something…”

“Anything.”

Kennedy’s green eyes pleaded into hers, “Don’t break him again.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Melanie;

OMG MELANIE STILL LOVES JOHN? Like, no one saw that coming (;
What do you think she is going to do about it?

This update is for Keri (and of course all of you subscribers and beautiful, lovely, amazing commenters). Keri, I know you want them to just mack already, but I can't do that until Lennie and John bang it out in your story. Hahaha.

Anyways, I'm off to the mall with my best friend and my two favorite gentlemen to go Sadies shopping. Thank you for all of the good lucks on my finals. I made through them in one piece. I love you guys <3