Status: In Progress

These Years

One.

My eyes shot around, introducing me to my surroundings. Might as well get used to this place, I'll be spending a lot of time here. The sun started reflecting off of the brilliant green grass blinding my eyes momentarily. I pushed my sunglasses further up the bridge of my nose as I turned my head to face the main building; I inspected the old structure. I then turned back to see my mother and father trailing behind, carrying several boxes.

"Mom, dad, are you sure you don't need any help?" I asked.
"Oh no honey!" My mother's attentive voice cooed, "We're fine. You just lead the way." I looked over to my father and he just nodded agreeing.

I sighed, spun back and continued walking. My eyes resumed wandering; taking in the scene of this new chapter of my life. I'd never seen anything like this before, and was hoping I kept a starstruck glint out of my eye. I glanced down at the small map in hand, noticing I was approaching my dorm. Looking up, I found myself right in the shadow of an overpowering building.

In realization my voice spoke up, “I think I found it.”

My parents took an extra step forward, standing on either side of me.

My father’s voice cut through the cooling air, “Do you want us to bring up these boxes?”
I spun my head back and forth, looking at both of their handfuls of boxes. “Nah, it’s okay. I can do it.” I paused before speaking again. “So I uhhh, guess I’ll see you guys later.”
My mother suddenly dropped the boxes she was holding onto the ground and wrapped her arms tightly around my neck. “Honey! I’ll miss you so much. We’ll miss you so much! Call often, and we can come and visit sometime. Have fun, be good, and study hard!”
A small chuckle escaped my lips, “Mom, I’m just going off to school, it’s not like I’m dying or anything. I’ll be sure to try my best and I’ll stay in contact!” I gave her a tight squeeze and we broke apart. I turned to my father. “Same goes for you, dad,” I gave him a grin as he wrapped me into a hug as well. We pulled apart and looked back over to my mother who had tears dripping from her eyes. “Mom, don’t cry!”

Her hand flew to her face, “I’m not, Suri. We’ll talk to you soon okay?” I swore a new round of tears was going to start when my mother turned away, with my father on her tail.

They both spun backwards in sync and waved. I returned the favour and blew a kiss towards them.

When they had faded into nothing but shadows in the distance, I spun to face the boxes. Letting out a sigh due to the work ahead of me, I picked up the first two.

Shakily I opened the oversized doors to my dorm. I made my way through the lobby and over to the elevator. I pressed the up arrow and waited. The elevator dinged within thirty seconds, and I stumbled into it. I quickly pressed the number five, and caught the top box which was falling. Thankfully though, the ride was short and I soon found myself making my way to my room. I set the boxes down outside my room, and reached into my pocket pulling out the room card. I slipped it into the slot and pushed open the room.

I let out a girlish squeal as I ran into my room. Temporarily forgetting the boxes, I wandered my room wide-eyed. My jaw was permanently on the floor as I scanned everything from the fridge to my bed.

“I. Love. It.” I spoke to myself.

I turned toward the door, noticing it open and my boxes sitting there. I ran out and grabbed the two boxes at my doorway. I ran downstairs and repeating the previous process several more times, until there was three boxes outside yet. Trying to make things move quicker, I grabbed the three and stacked them in my arms. My vision was completely impaired as I held them. But thinking I’d made the trip enough times to have the route “down-pat” I shrugged it off. I was standing near the door of the elevator and upon hearing the “ding” I stepped out. I only took a few steps before flying to the ground.

A small shriek escaped my lips as I made contact with the ground. The boxes scattered and a few belongings here and there slipped out. I pushed myself up so I was now sitting and rubbed my head. “Ow.”

I opened my eyes wider and saw a body with a head full of wavy blond hair on the ground in front of me. “Oh hey, sorry there.”
I scanned the boy’s face before replying, “It’s alright.” I gave him a gentle smile as I started to place things back in their specific boxes.
“I’m TJ Oshie by the way.” The boy, TJ, started helping me.
My voice replied, “I’m Suri Morrison.”
He looked up from the boxes for a moment to give me a smile. “Just moving in I suppose?” TJ nodded towards the boxes.
I shook my head, “You’ve got that right.”
“It can be quite an adventure, can’t it?” He let out a small laugh as I grabbed a box. He grabbed two and I led the way towards my room. “I moved in last week.”
I looked beside me towards him, knowing I was one of the last to move in as classes started the day after tomorrow. “Well, here’s my room.” I stated, stopping in front of my doorway; 530.
He nodded placing the boxes on the ground, “Need anymore help with these?” I shook my head. “Alright. If you need anything feel free to come over, room 512, remember it.” I let out a small laugh. “I’ll see you around Suri.”
“I’ll see you,” I waved back to him as he walked down the hallway and out of site.

I pulled the boxes into my room and left them by the door. Decided to unpack later I jumped onto my bed and stared up at the ceiling.

This was going to be an adventure.
♠ ♠ ♠
The first chapter, finally! I'm sorry it's fairly short.

And I have 9 subscribers before I even have a chapter up, thanks so much guys.

I'd love to know what you're thinking, so comment please.

Thanks everyone!