Status: In Progress

These Years

Three.

I actually got a great deal of packing done that night. And I woke up about 9:30 the next morning.

I pulled on a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt, brushed my teeth, and made sure I looked alright before leaving my dorm. I took the route I was already growing familiar with over to the cafeteria. My eyes were still taken over by sleep, but the bright morning sun helped to wake me up a bit more. The morning was a bit crisp but overall nice. I smiled as I looked over one of the tallest hills on the campus and out onto the skyline. The grounds were fairly empty since most of the students were making the best of their last day before classes, but a few stray people wandered around. Their silhouettes danced along the skyline as they walked towards their destinations.

I hummed an almost silent tune of a song that had somehow got stuck in my head. I continued to walk as I got lost in the melody.

Before I knew it, I was entering the caf. I smiled as I walked over to the Starbucks.

“Cinnamon Dolce Frappuccino please?” I pause before adding, “Oh, and a croissant?”

The person working who seemed like a frustrated girl in her very early twenties sighed. She stepped back and made my drink before grabbing a croissant. I handed her my card as she set my items on the counter. She swiped it and rolled her eyes; I guess someone wasn’t having such a great day. Nonetheless before I walked away I gave her a smile, “Thanks!”

I left the small Starbucks area and stepped out into the seating area of the cafeteria. I looked around, trying to decide if I was going to eat in here or head out. I took a few steps forward before crashing to the ground in a very familiar fashion. The face I was met with though, was not familiar. A boy with a sports jacket on and short brown hair picked himself off the ground. He brushed himself off quickly and ran a hand through his hair; he seemed pretty stressed. A sigh escaped his lips but he stuck out a hand shortly. I grabbed onto it and he helped me up.

“Sorry about that, but I’ve gotta go.” He reached into his pocket and grabbed out some change before opening my hand softly and giving it to me.

The boy rushed away and out the door.

A confused look came to my face, before I realized I was drenched in my own drink. Ah, so he was giving me the money for another drink. Got it.

Why the boy was in such a rush was still a mystery but I pushed it aside and decided to head out. First off, I really didn’t feel like having to deal with the girl from Starbucks again. Second? Sitting here drenched in coffee was not my cup of tea.

I walked out of the cafeteria to find out it was warmer than I had thought previously. I shrugged and slipped off my sweatshirt, leaving me in a t-shirt. I carefully laid the sweater over my left arm and carried my bag –enclosed being my croissant- over to a bench.

The bench was a plain wooden bench, just like one you’d see in a park. I sat down and leaned up against the backing. I laid my soaking-wet sweater to the side of me, and I pulled out my croissant. I started eating it as I listened to the occasional bird chirping.

After finishing eating my breakfast I just sat. I had moved over to a tree a few feet away. My legs were crossed and I was staring at the trunk of the tree.
RF+DP

And there was a heart surrounding both of the initials. It was all carefully crafted.

My vision was starting to blur and I closed my eyes to hold back tears.

“No way.” I laughed, “We are not being that cliché. Carving our initials into a tree, really Brandon?”

He gave me a huge grin as he did just that. I shook my head.

I shrugged and laid on my back.

It was a beautiful spring day, with the sun shining and a slight breeze. The grass was at a mild length and I picked at a daisy beside me. My voice hummed a silent tune and I slowly drifted into a series of happy thoughts.

“Hey Sur, look.” I could hear the smile in his voice.

I groaned but got myself sitting up once again. I glanced back over at the tree which was complete with the tiny letters “SM” and “BP” on it. Of course, a heart around both was added.

“As cheesy as you are, I kind of love this.” We both shared a light laugh.

A grin wiped across my face as I traced the small letters. The sun shined through the tree’s leaves just as I did so. It seemed perfect.

I looked over at Brandon and met his eyes with my own. I moved my body over a smidge and let my body fall against his. My head lay¬ on his chest and I closed my eyes. Softly, I could hear his breathing, and mine soon matched. I squeezed my eyes together tight and wished my times like this would never end.


I opened my swelling eyes and looked over the tree one more time. My fingers reached out and retraced the simple lettering. Too many memories came back; the happy ones lead to sad ones. It made me sick to think of the simple sign of love these people left and what heartbreak was due to come. I would be the one to know.

I jumped up from my spot, shoved the bag from my croissant in my pocket, and laid my sweater over my arm.

I got up, and ran as fast as I could back to my dorm. I left the tree behind and hoped to leave all my memories with it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so it took so long, honestly. Also you might noticed I changed the main characters' name.

Thanks to Britty713 for the comment, but I'd love to hear from some of my other readers! Let me know what you're thinking; I love each and every one of you -19!- subscribers!