Status: In Progress

These Years

Five.

Mr. Bello’s voice began to slow as did my typing. I glanced at the time on my computer screen, “11:35;” I was surprised to see that class would be over in five minutes. I added a few more points to my notes before our prof decided we were done for the day. He sat down at his desk and told us to finish up what we were doing. I saved my document which had become a shocking seven pages. After I did so I closed my laptop and placed it into my bag. I looked back up and felt a gaze on me. I turned to see Jordan with a small smile on his face.

“Hey, do you have any plans after class?” He asked; his dorky smile a permanent feature on his face.
I glanced down at my class schedule before meeting his gaze once again. “Nah, my next class isn’t until 3:30.”
“Do you want to head over to the cafeteria with me? We can get a coffee or something.” I let a slight pause take the place of supposed words as he came to my mind. The boy’s smile faltered, “As friends of course.” His smile reappeared.
“That sounds nice,” I smiled cautiously, “As long as you don’t spill my drink on me again.” My humour took place of my apprehension.
“I’ll be more careful this time. Promise.”

Just as our conversation came to a halt, the bell rang.

“Lecture hall. 10:00 sharp tomorrow morning; don’t forget!” Mr. Bello’s voice called as everyone shuffled out of the classroom.

“There’s not even a thousand people where you live? Hell, is there even a grocery store?”
I shook my head at the boy. “Yes, there is.” A small smile graced my lips, “Just because we don’t have 300 –odd thousand like you do, doesn’t mean we’re deprived.”
“I don’t believe you.” A low laugh escaped Jordan’s mouth.

The two of us sat across from each other at a cafeteria table. We had come over here right after class, and grabbed a coffee. There were no drinks spilt this time around, mind you. The two of us had been sitting learning more about each other for the last half-hour or so. Jordan seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

“So what do you like to do in your spare time?” I picked up our conversation.
“Play hockey.” Jordan replied simply.
I laughed. What was with the boys around here and their hockey? “Really? It seems like everyone around here loves it!”
Jordan replied, “Well North Dak is a big hockey place.” I nodded, taking in the information. “How about you; what do you do for fun?”
A slight blush came to my cheeks. “Uhh,” I dragged out, “Not much.” My voice shied sceptically. “I’m not really one to go out and party, or uh,” I was at a loss for words. I didn’t want someone who seemed genuinely interested in becoming my friend to think I was a loser. “Anything like that...” My voice faded.
The big smile graced his lips once again. “I like that,” Jordan spoke. My embarrassed blush just grew.

Awkwardness was spared after that though; we continued to learn more about once another. And we left the caf after about an hour more.

I decided to head back to my dorm before my next class. Jordan walked with me, as he’s dorm was only a few buildings away from mine. Our conversations continued as we head towards the South side of campus where our dorms were located.

As we approached my building I looked over at him. “It was nice to meet you,” I smiled.
“Same goes to you Suri,” His smile grew. “I’ll see you tomorrow!”
“See’yah,” I waved as Jordan did the same and continued walking.

I headed up to my room and crashed onto my bed as soon as quickly as humanly possible. I pulled out my laptop and opened it up. It was already turned on, so all I had to do was click on the “Skype” logo. I smiled as I saw a handful of people were online.

I started a video chat with my best friend from home, Hannah. Within moments I saw a familiar face on my screen.

“Suri, babe!” A huge smile spread across my face; touching even my eyes.
“Hannah!”
“How’ve you been holding up over in Dakota?” She asked quickly.
“Jeez, don’t let me get a word in.” I laughed, “I’ve been good. It seems like a really nice place!” My voice exclaimed.

Hannah decided to stay around home, and complete another semester at our old high school before going off to a local college.

“That’s good! We miss you around here,” Her smiled faded slightly, “But I expect to see you in a few months over break.”
“No worries,” My voice confirmed, “I’ll be home!”
The girl responded strongly, “You better be.”
“So how’s everything been around home? My parents holding up okay?” I joked.
“Everything’s plain as normal,” Hannah replied. “And your mom and dad are good, considering their daughter’s living thirty-hours away from home.”
“Don’t try and guilt-trip me or anything,” I rolled my eyes, and she laughed.

I heard a slight noise from Hannah’s side of the conversation.

“Shit, sorry to cut this short Sur, but Kyle’s at the door. We’re heading out to the movies.” Hannah’s voice spoke of her boyfriend of a year and a half.
“Oh it’s no problem, I actually just popped back to my dorm for a few minutes before I have to head to my next class anyways. Have a good time with Kyle! I’ll talk to you soon.”
“For sure, hun.” She smiled, “Bye.”
“Bye Han.”

The screen went black as we cut off the video call.

I shut my laptop and lay on my back; staring up at my ceiling, thinking. I just laid foi a few minutes before pulling out a book and reading a few chapters in my latest challenge.

I glanced at my cell phone a little while later to see it was already 3:00. I set my book down, making sure to mark my page, and got up. I checked, to be sure I had everything I needed for my next class and headed out of my room. As I stepped out of my door I bumped into a huge body. I started to stumble before large hands caught me.

“Hey, sorry there,” The voice spoke. “Oh, Suri! It’s you!”
I looked up at the person, as they were a fair bit taller than me. “TJ, hey!” I smiled.
“Sorry about that.” He removed his hands from my sides and rubbed the back of his neck.
I gently laughed, “It’s no problem.”
“Oh, I was meaning to ask you...” TJ faded off. I motioned for him to continue. “We have our first game next Tuesday, do you want to come?”
I’ve never really watched hockey before, but why not try. Plus, I get to support my new friend. “That sounds great!”
“Sweet! I’ll get you the details later. Sorry, but I have to split.”
“No problem, I have to get to class too.”

We exchanged smiles and waves before heading in opposite directions.

This college life wasn’t turning out too bad.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for all the comments on my last chapter. I appreciate the feedback! Please continue to tell me what you think.

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!