Status: In Progress

These Years

Six.

I quickly went up to my dorm and made a beeline for my bedroom. I exchanged my shorts for a pair of jeans, and slipped on my UND hoodie. I spun to face my full length mirror; letting my hair fall loose from it’s previous position in a messy side bun, and checking my makeup. After a few moments I was good to go.

I walked out into my kitchenette and grabbed the ticket TJ had left me, off of the table. He told me, since he didn’t know whereabouts I would like to sit –Hell, I had no idea either,- he got me something about halfway up, and at center ice. I can’t say I know what seats are good for hockey games, but that sounds pretty good to me.

I picked up my bag from the floor and slipped my ticket into it. I then put my shoes back onto my feet. Checking the time, I saw I had twenty minutes until the game was suppose to start; curse my late class for causing this rush. I hurriedly left my room and took the elevator to the first floor.

I grabbed my campus map out of my bag and double checked that I was heading the right way. Luckily I was, so, I set off in a fast paced walk towards the arena.

As I entered the building I was swarmed by a rush of people. They were all hurrying to get food, or to get to their seats in time for the puck drop. I wandered like a lost puppy for a few minutes before finding my section number. I walked through the tunnel and headed up a few stairs before finding my row, and then my seat. I sat down just as the players were coming onto the ice. I joined in the clapping as I saw TJ make his way onto the ice. Much to my surprise, right after TJ skated on I saw a player dressed in full goalie gear with the name “Parise” sown on the back of his jersey.

I stuck my hands into my sweatshirt pocket as TJ skated over towards the bench –which was the side I was sitting on.- His eyes searched the rows of seats until they set on mine. He gave me a big smile and shot a small wave over in my direction; I returned the gesture.

I relaxed and settled into my seat as the game got underway.

The final score was 5-3, for the Sioux.

TJ told me to wait near my seat after the game so he could meet up with me. I stayed in my seat for a few minutes as the people around my left the building. After a few minutes longer though, I began to grow bored. I stood up from my seat and began to pace, making sure to stay in the same relative area. I pulled out my phone and sent a quick reply to a text that had been sent to me earlier cutesy of a friend from home, and waited.

Within a few minutes I heard footsteps heading my way. I looked to my left and saw TJ, hockey bag and all, making his way over to me.

“How’d you like it?” His excited voice asked.
“That was a lot of fun,” I gave him a big smile.
Without missing a beat he replied, “I knew you would!”
“Congrats on the goal by the way,” I spoke. He just waved his hand in a “no big deal” motion and I laughed.

We started heading through the seats and out into the concourse. We walked a few steps before TJ realized a person was walking right ahead of us.

“Parise!” The boy, carrying much more gear than TJ was, turned around.
“Hey man,” I instantly recognized Jordan standing in front of us. “Suri!” He beamed.
“Hey Jordan,” I replied smiling.

TJ readjusted his hockey bag on his shoulder as he looked between us, confused. “You two know each other?”

We both nodded in turn as Jordan explained we have physics class together.

After conversing in the same space for a few minutes the three of us decided to keep walking. Just as we started to though a person rushed by us, heading in the opposite direction.

The two boys beside me spun around and yelled in unison, “Johnny!”

The person stopped his rushed walking to turn around and face our small group.

“Hey guys,” The boy’s voice spoke. It was surprisingly deep considering his young features. Realizing my presence the boy nodded over in my direction.

TJ then realized we hadn’t been introduced. “Jon, this is Suri Morrison; mine and Parise’s friend. Suri, this is Jonathan Toews.”

I gave the boy a small smile and he did the same.

“Well we better be going,” Jordan stated.
Jonathan nodded and replied with a quick ‘See ya’around,’ before heading off once again in his rushed ways.

“That guy seriously needs to calm down,” TJ joked. “If he doesn’t he’ll have an ulcer before our next game.”
Jordan nodded and laughed along.

The three of us walked together back towards our dorms. We had decided to head to TJ’s to hang out for a bit as it wasn’t too late yet.

Jordan ran up to his dorm quickly to drop off his hockey equipment as TJ and I continued on our way towards our building. Jordan would meet us there.

TJ and I we talked a little bit about the past few days, as he’s been buys with hockey and I’ve been caught up in schoolwork. Before we knew it though, we were in front of our dorm. We walked inside and headed up to our floor. From there, instead of going straight –as I was used to, from my dorm- we headed down the hallway.

I watched the numbers pass us by as we continued to walk, until we reached room 512. TJ slipped his room card into the door and opened it; holding open the door for me to enter ahead of him.

“It’s nothing special,” He said shrugging.

I glanced around at the walls; seeing a trophy here and there, as well as some pictures and other mementos from home. But what surprised me was the freshly painted walls and homey decor.

“I like it,” I mused.
TJ rubbed the back of his neck slightly, “Thanks.”

After a few moments of comfortable silence as we slipped off our shoes, TJ said I could just head over to the couch and make myself at home. It was straight ahead of where I was standing, so directions were unnecessary. TJ headed into what I presumed to be the kitchen.

“Want anything?” He called from the other room as I flipped on the television.
“Uhm,” I pondered, “Could I have water, please?”

He let out a hum of approval before reappearing in front of me with two water bottles in his hand. He handed on to me and cracked open the other for himself once he sat down on the couch. We both sipped from our drinks and paid a little attention to the newscast on TV.

Within a few minutes though, there was a slight knock on the door. TJ jumped up from his spot on the couch to answer it.

Standing on the other side of the door was Jordan, clad in a pair of plaid pyjama pants and huge sweater, bearing a few bags of chips, popcorn and some odd candy here and there. Hell, I have no idea how he carried it all over.

He shot us a big smile as he pushed by TJ, bringing his pile of food into the dorm, “The party’s here!”
♠ ♠ ♠
This took a little while to get up, since I was stuck on the second half of this chapter. I still don't know how I feel about it.

But, I'm happy I could get an update -and a fairly long one at that- up for you guys. Thanks for all the comments; I appreciate them more than you know!

Keep letting me know what you think!