Sweet Escape

eight

It seemed like everything I did to get around the rules of the book didn’t work. I tried my hardest and still it didn’t work. I thought of everything I could but it seemed to me that the stupid book was always three steps ahead of me. Everything was working against me and to be honest I was starting to give up a little bit. It just wasn’t fair, I know, I know, life isn’t fair. But this is supposed to be my world why can’t I make it perfectly fair in every way, make it so I can get out of here without some faulty piece of furniture meant to let me out. First it was Bayard then it was the stupid fountain now I need to get thinking and I need to get thinking fast.

As I lie there looking at the ever changing sky, clouds float across the sky in the most amazing shapes you have ever seen. Things like lions, fireworks, gasmasks, lady bugs, trees, flags, and anything else you could think of flying across the sky in full color. It was the middle of the day but the sky was black the sky shining on it making it sparkle like it was painted with a glossy coat. I know that cloud creating and watching won’t do anything to get me out of here but it sure was fun. I had the real world over my head, people walking around and trying to continue with their own mundane life.

“Hey Bayard, do you know how to get out of here? Are you just not telling me the whole truth?” I tilt my head back on the cushiony grass to stare at the mirror behind me. Bayard’s twisted pale face comes into the mirror. For a few moments he doesn’t say anything and I wonder if maybe he didn’t hear me.

“Well I have seen many methods Peyton but I wouldn’t say I know the right way out. I haven’t seen anyone get the right way out, they just happen to find a way to get around it all.” For the first time he seems confused about what he tells me. I roll onto my stomach and stare at him.

“What do you mean? How do you know they didn’t find the right way out, if you don’t even know the right way out?” It seemed like a perfectly good question to me, I mean why else would he say something like that.

“I don’t know the right way out I just know the person that finds it well when they get out the book will be destroyed and no one else will be forced into this. All the girls have left yet another one behind. With little Delphine she left you behind, well forced you into the book. I have to say that was a bit harsh, the other girls would just give it to someone, in Delphine’s case it was her own mother who gave it to her, hence the reason for her anger.” I swear Bayard had an explanation for everything but it wasn’t the same, it just wasn’t good enough for me.

“But if you know the result how can you not help me out and end the pain for everyone else?” I am standing now staring down at him indignant. “Bayard I want an answer.” He remains silent, his face twirling around in the mirror to match the twisting confusion of his featureless face. The white mush of his skin, the slit of his mouth, it is all set in the perfect image of confusion.

“Well you see that’s the thing isn’t it. Everyone else before you didn’t care about the other people that would suffer in this world if they found a lope whole, they just wanted out as fast as they can. I was made to know the way out of this place, I was never meant to tell anyone the way out, just how they could possibly get out and the result of what happened if they did find the right way.” I am silent thinking this all over. It made no since, of course I knew that he was made by the first person and had been here from the start. It was sad to think that every person had brought him back, sad to think that everyone had the same thoughts and ideas, that no one was original not even in a world where they could create anything. “They real question I think Peyton is whether or not you will save anyone else from this pain? This lonely world that you were forced into? The real question is will you find the right way out or take a short cut like all the others before you. Will you save someone else from the pain or pass it on. That is what you need to find out.” With those simple last words he is gone, leaving me with my thoughts.
♠ ♠ ♠
shortish
sorry its been so long