Eternal Dusk

Hey Mind Reader...

Those eyes stared at her. A foreigner, they thought or they were wondering why she was transferring schools so late in the year. She was something new that they craved from the monotonous lives they lived in. They were all like a pack of wild animals stalking their prey.

The crowd whispered waves of curiosity as she stepped along the invisible red carpet beneath her feet. She acknowledged no one, ignoring them on purpose. Her gait, to some people, seemed prideful with her long confident strides. Others perceived her as something intimidating, something that was not unfamiliar to them.

Just as the bell rang, her eyes met the gaze of two people who seemed different from the rest. She gave them a small sinister smile and left.

Artemis idly played with the ends of her long, black wavy hair, partly paying attention to the teacher and his rant about asymptotes and graphs. "Now if you would turn to page 327 in your books..."

Not having a text book yet, she stayed still while the other students started flipping through the pages.

"Hey," she heard someone say. It was this girl she sat next to. "We can share my book."

Artemis gave the girl a small smile and replied a thanks. From the side of her eye, she started to observe the girl out of boredom. She seemed nothing special with her normal brown hair and eyes. The girl looked up from the book, feeling the gaze.

"Is there something on my face?" she held her hand to her cheek wiping the nonexistent dirt.

"No, there's nothing. I just thought you looked like someone I know," she lied telling the most normal excuse in the book.

After a while, Artemis felt like the one being watched by the other girl. What was her name again? With their eyes locked only for a moment, the girl gave a small gasp like she knew something. Artemis looked back down to the book.

Her gasp did not come unnoticed as the boy sitting next to her glanced at Artemis from the side of his eyes.

A sudden prickling sensation came over Artemis. There seemed to be foreign eyes and ears inside of her mind. She didn't know who it was but she sang in her head, Hey mind reader... Artemis smirked and closed herself off to the mind reader.

The boy next to that plain girl rubbed his head having this annoyed and defeated look upon his face. The girl whispered to him asking, "Are you alright?"

He just nodded his head. "I'm fine. I'll tell you later."
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter title credit to VersaEmerge.