Eternal Dusk

Assumptions

The hallways of the campus became the streets of New York City. Mass groups of students were making their way to their different destinations. For the passing moment the kids were able to be as loud as they pleased and chattered in groups or pairs. That's exactly what Edward and Bella did.

Edward led his stubborn fiancee to a secluded area against the lockers that lined up neatly along the walls. "Did you notice something about her?"

"Of course I did," replied Bella a bit sarcastically. "She's pale and has this weird eye color going on. Do you think she's a vamp?"

"She's definitely not. She smells human, but that wasn't what was bothering me." Edward's lips placed itself into a hard line and the couple started moving to their next class.

"At first, I didn't pay much attention to her voice, but when you gasped I got curious and started listening more closely. When I did, I couldn't hear her anymore." He didn't want to tell her that the new girl actually noticed him listening to her mind. He knew Bella would start panicking.

"Maybe you're losing the magic touch," Bella laughed jokingly.

Edward opened the door to their next class and let Bella pass through first. "Impossible."

The next class Artemis had was loud and unsettling. The bell already rang and they still sat upon their desks chatting away and sometimes giving side glances towards her. A courageous male student decided to strut up to her desk.

"Hey, your name is Artemis right? And I noticed your last name is 'Heaven' spelled backwards. So are you the Roman goddess herself?" he challenged with a wide grin.

The class hushed. Some started laughing, and few continued what they were doing. Artemis only rolled her eyes.

"Yes, my name is 'Heaven' backwards and I doubt you can pronounce it correctly. No, I'm not a Roman goddess. And for your information, Artemis is in Greek mythology."

The class exploded with laughter. The apparent idiot of the room slugged back to his seat. With the noise of the group, not many heard the slam of the door. "And Greg, that is why you failed all your history classes." The teacher took long strides to the front of the room, his laugh lines apparent with his humorous smile. The class settled down and the lectures finally began.

Eyes started searching her mind all over again. Quickly, Artemis closed off her mind getting agitated. He's here. She swept her eyes across the room and found her mind reader. Listening to roll call paid off because she finally knew his name and that girl she sat next to in the previous class.

Edward, you're a bit rude, she thought to him and sealed herself back up.

***

"Alice," Edward called his sister, "I know you saw something."

Alice's face turned serious. "That new girl... she's not appearing in my-" a student passed by. "And some parts, Bella isn't showing up either. It's like what happens with the wolves. Do you think she has anything to do with the break in at Bella's?"

"I don't think she has anything to do with what happened at Bella's house. She smells too human," Edward sighed. "And I can't hear her." He also didn't want Alice to know that Artemis

Alice bit her lip. "Something isn't right."