Misery Loves It's Company

Surprise!

~A Week Later~

I woke up to that annoying beeping sound the alarm clock makes. I quickly shut it off and placed my pillow over my head and groaned. I had to get ready for work. I was working the morning shift for the restaurant Donatella’s pizzeria. It was a small shop but the people I worked with were hysterical and it helped pay the bills, so I couldn’t complain.

I got out of bed groggily and started putting on my causal blue jeans. They fit snuggly around my slim waist, but I loved to wear belts so I put one on. It was black and had glittering skulls all around it. Skulls, it’s one of my favorite symbols. I have a jacket with a skull on it, shoes with the shoelaces covered in colorful skulls, a belt with skulls, a hat with a skull smiling in the center, even my nail polish container and eye liner pencil have skulls on them.

As I continued to get dressed I took out a black long sleeve shirt and put on my required red shirt with the words Donatella’s Pizzeria printed across the chest over top of it. It was time for the make-up. I applied some light black eye shadow, some black eyeliner, light pink lip gloss, and some cover-up over an annoying pimple that was on my left cheek by my nose. I straightened my hair and let some go over each of my shoulders. I smiled at my now complete appearance. I heard some heavy breathing and turned around. Peter was still in bed sleeping. I mean why wouldn’t he be, it was only 7:30. I walked silently over to him and gave him a kiss on the cheek, he smiled. I put on my coat since it was cold outside. It was definitely not jacket weather. The good thing was that Donatella’s was really warm inside with all the pizza’s getting cooked. Also the smell was delicious which was a plus.

I grabbed my keys and walked out the door and down the stairs. I put my mp3 player in my ears and made it almost as loud as it could go so I wouldn’t have to listen to the insanity around me. The trip to the Pizzeria was about a 30 minute walk so it helped to have music. I started to quietly sing along with the words to “Thanks for the Memories”. I knew every Fall Out Boy song by heart, but that’s a given when you date one of the band members and your best friends with the rest of the band. The time went by quickly and I was finally at work.

“Bella, Lella, Fo Fella!” Rob, my co-worker, said happily.

“Robert,” I said causally trying to keep a straight face. I could only hold it for so long before I started cracking up.

“Hey Bella,” Brad said walking over to me.

“Hey Brad,” I walked behind the counter and started to get ready.

The shift began with a fair amount of people. As it began to snow more people came in and we had to work double time. My shift would have ended in an hour, but one of the guys, Chester, called in sick so I took his place. Now I still had another 5 hours to go. I took a deep breath plunging myself back into the madness. A little old lady looked up at the menu and squinted really hard.

“Hmm, I know that I want pizza, but I can’t decide which one. What do you recommend young lady?” she asked me smiling her little old lady smile.

“Uh, the cheese pizza is good, but if you want something on it then I would get the new deluxe pizza,” I said.

“That sounds good, but may I ask what’s on it?” she said.

I sighed, “Cheese, Pepperonis, Black Olives, Sausage, Peppers, Mushrooms, Onions, and your choice of Ham or Pineapple.”

“Hmm, well I’m not a big fan of mushrooms, or pineapple, so hmm…”

“Come on!” a line of people yelled from behind her.

“I will have a delicious slice of cheese pizza. I remember when I was a little girl that every time I got a slice of cheese pizza it was a treat. You see, my father…”

“Shut up!” someone complained three people down.

“I’m sorry ma’am but we’re really busy and we need to hurry the line. That will be $3.25,” I said ringing it up on the cash register. She took out a small purse and did what you always see on TV in movies or on commercials. She started picking out change and counted out loud.

“Ten, Twenty, twenty one, twenty two, twenty three, oh a nickel, let’s see that makes it twenty eight…” she was still smiling and everyone in line started complaining and I got really irritated. I didn’t know what to do but wait. After a couple of minutes she was finally done. She had found a 5 dollar bill hidden underneath the change, and that was after she had already counted all the way to $2.80.

I started taking the next few orders which went really fast compared to the old lady. I was so focused in the crowd that when someone said, “Hey, yeah I’ll have the anchovy pizza, with extra chocolate and ham.” I was caught off guard. There was only one person who would have said that. It was an insider joke from a party where we played a prank by ordering a pizza with that on it and the pizza delivery guy actually brought it to us. Everyone had a slice, and we were all sick the whole night. I looked up and smiled. When I saw it really was who I thought it was I screamed in happiness. I ran over to Rob and told him to take my place.

“Oh my god, what are you doing here?” I asked grabbing his hand and leading him outside into the cold weather.

“Surprise!” Ricardo said.