Status: Complete.

Beside You

what

"Madison! Marc's leaving now!" Mom yelled up the stairs.

With a big sigh I heaved myself off my bed from my nap and limped to the stairs. "You better come up here, if you wanna say bye, I'm not gonna go down and up again."

Marc laughed and quickly came up the stairs, scooping me into a hug. "I'll see you soon, okay? Take care of the foot and don't run Mom and Dad ragged."

"I'm a Staal, what else would I do?" I joked and gave him a squeeze. "Thanks again for the shoes, they really are great."

Marc smiled. "Glad you like 'em so much. I'm proud of you, Maddie, you had a great show today."

"Thanks," I replied shyly and held still when he leaned down to kiss my forehead. "Love you, Marc."

"Love you, too, Madd. Bye." He jumped down the stairs again, picked up his duffle bag and off he was, back to New York to play a game there tomorrow night. One we would no doubt watch here.

I shuffled back into my room and sprawled out on my bed, my foot resting on a few pillows Mom had brought me earlier to keep my foot elevated. I'd just closed my eyes, when there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," I called with closed eyes.

"You nappin'?" Jared asked and I felt him sit down on the end of my bed.

"Sorta," I sighed and opened my eyes. "Bored?"

"Like hell," he nodded with a grin and proceeded to move my foot and the pillows, so he could find some space to lie down, too. "Does it hurt?"

"It's throbbing pretty nice, I guess, but if I don't think about it and don't move it, it's not so bad."

"The parade was awesome," he told me with a smile. "Mom and Grandma freaked out when you did that rear up."

I smirked. "That was the point. I'm the drama queen of the family, I had to!" Jared laughed and nodded. "How did you like the second thing?"

"With the dress? Looked awesome on you." He rolled onto his back and joined me staring at the ceiling. "You really pulled that uptown girl thing off."

I grinned proudly. The idea Mr Jason had told me his wife had consisted of us switching show pieces. Mine originally was to partake in a part that showed off certain jumps and some artistic tricks on horse back, hers was to be the 'star' of the Uptown Girl show off.

The idea came from the music video for Westlife's and Billy Joel's Uptown Girl, both had an influence. A couple of guys and girls in guys' disguises were to perform various little tasks on their horses, like dressage and little tricks, to impress the uptown girl. Mrs Jason had the most gorgeous ball gown for it, which she let me borrow. The top part was green with a black rose design on it and the skirt black and voluminous with black tulle. To go with it was a black floppy sun hat, black elbow length gloves, a faux fur shawl and a black lace fan.

While they played the song, I just had to take a slow round around the hall, examine what the guys were trying to show off, while playing hard to impress. The ending didn't hit me until it happened, I forgot how it was supposed to go, until I saw Matt ride into the hall on Alabaster's bare back. To make a distinct difference between him and the others, he wore jeans and a hoodie, with the others in normal or competition attire. He was supposed to come in, take a look at me, take a look at what the others were doing and do a few tricks of his own, then I'd ride off with him.

Everything went perfect and many people complimented me on how the dress looked so awesome on me, but the only people that mattered were my family. And Matt. But Matt was extremely busy after he'd brought me my crutches and even saying bye was just in passing.

"Did Eric tell you about those guys?" I asked slowly and from the way Jared frowned, I could tell he knew what I was talking about.

There's always douche bags that will try to hit on you and get a rise out of you, but they definitely didn't count with my brothers on that one. I'd been sitting around with Abby, forced to stay in one spot as opposed to going 'round with my family, who were looking around, when a couple of guys we distantly knew from school approached us. At first they were okay and nice, I guess, but boys will be boys.

When one of them, Tim, a guy I had a calculus class with and knew was fairly decent, told me he really liked the entrance and that he thought I really had a talent riding, one of his buddies took it out of context and said as follows.

"Yeah, that was one hell of a ride, I wouldn't mind you giving me one of those some time."

The dirty smirk on his face left nothing to imagination about how he meant it and before my jaw even finished dropping, Eric, who'd just approached, jumped in. If there was one thing you didn't mess with, it was me and Eric distinctly let the guy and the rest of his group know that. There's nothing more intimidating than a pissed off big brother, especially when that big brother is a 210 pound 6'4'' hockey player.

"I don't know why they do that," Jared grumbled and I laughed at him.

"You're a guy, you tell me. You can't tell me you haven't ever said something like that to a girl before, I know ya, Jare," I grinned and nudged him with my good foot. "Maybe you should keep in mind that the girls you hit on are maybe somebody's little sister, too, you know? Puts things back into perspective a little."

He sighed and said nothing, probably because he knew I was right. I was a big hater of double standards and usually the first in the Staal house to complain about unfairness, especially between guys and girls. So what if I was a girl and their little sister? That didn't mean they could treat me one way and then act the other way to other girls. Door swings both ways.

Jared and I lounged on my bed until Mom called us down for a very late dinner. Afterwards we repeated what we'd done the previous night and watched the rest of my new Mentalist season.

"That bruise is disgusting as fuck," Abby stated dryly. I shrugged. "How antsy are you?" She gave me an amused grin, looking up from painting my toe nails.

Yes, that was how bored I was; I let my best friend paint my toe nails. My toe nails have been painted maybe a handful of times as I can remember, so that says a lot.

Almost a week after Christmas my foot still didn't feel any better, if anything it got worse. I was dependant on those crutches way more than I wanted to be and I had predicted a back injury in Jared's near future, if he kept offering to give me piggy back rides so much, before he went back to Charlotte. It was annoying as fuck and I hated it.

What frustrated me the most was that I basically had nowhere good to spend New Year's at now. There always was this really cool trail ride the Jasons did, just getting out of the city a bit, with a small bonfire, some hot chocolate, s'mores and just the stars above as the clock struck 12 and you welcomed the New Year.

That was not happening for me this year. Mom put her foot down after the parade and I was not even allowed to go to the barn. I was having serious withdrawal symptoms, not having been there for a couple of days now, but she didn't care. Not even my super-pout worked and my secret weapon, Dad, was powerless.

My parents were going over to a friend's place, Abby was with her family and everyone else somewhere for some reason. I was not in the mood to spend New Year's with my parents with all their friends, that'd have been worse than being alone. Abby's festivities were strictly family, they're enough people as it is. Mom suggested my grandparents', but I wasn't in the mood for that, even if I considered it as my last minute option.

"I just wish I had somewhere cool to go, you know?" I sighed.

"Maybe you'll go to your grandparents' and sweet talk your Grandpa into driving you down to the barn?"

"I like the way you think, Abigail Martens," I smirked and fist-bumped with her.

No sooner said than done. And even with my mother's permission!

Turns out I should consider Grandpa my new secret weapon when trying to sway Mom, because it worked way better than with Dad apparently. Maybe it was because it was last minute and I'd been whining about my sucky New Year's long enough, but I didn't care.

I was content sitting in the hay in Lady's spacious box as she munched on some extra I'd brought along for the occasion, apples and carrots. I had some snacks, something to drink, my favorite book and a warm blanket incase I needed it. My parents were to pick me up about an hour into the New Year on their way home, which I was fine with. Maybe spending New Year's alone with Lady was just what I needed.

Lady had been well taken care of the past couple of days, her fur was shiny, the box freshly cleaned and she had everything she needed. She didn't look like she was yearning for some exercise either, so I was happy sitting in the middle of the heavenly smelling hay with my worn copy of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

"Heyy... I didn't think you would be here..."

I startled up, dropping my book in shock and surprise, and looked up at Matt standing at the sliding gate of Lady's box with wide eyes. "Holy shit, you scared me!" I gasped, holding my hand over my racing heart.

He smiled apologetically and slid open the gate. Lady gave him a non-amused look that he was interrupting her peaceful evening, but tolerated him, probably because he fed her a treat, or a few. He closed the gate behind him, so she couldn't wander around and sat down in the hay next to me, leaving just enough space that we were close, but not too close. Or not close enough, whichever way you want to look at it.

"I thought you were at the ride?" I questioned, watching as he picked up my book and examined it.

"Somebody had to stay here," he shrugged and ran his fingers over the embossed front of the book. "You convinced your Mom to let you come, huh?" He gave me a knowing smile.

"My grandfather did, actually," I admitted, blushing slightly under his gaze. "I didn't really feel like spending the Eve with my parents or grandparents."

"So you're spending New Year's all by yourself with your horse and a children's book?" Matt gave me an amused look.

"It's a good book, okay? And it's my favorite, so don't knock it!" I told him, snatching the book back. He laughed quietly.

"I'm sorry, I know it's a good book. The movie was awesome."

"You saw it?" I looked at him surprised. He nodded.

"Yeah. The director did a really good job at taking the things from the book and putting it into a visualized perspective. I really liked it," he told me and plucked part a straw of hay. "The actress that played the witch was great."

"She really freaked me out," I chuckled lightly.

"Yeah, me too," he smiled and glanced at his watch. "So, Maddie, 5 minutes. Got any resolutions?"

"Get my foot to get better," I rolled my eyes and Matt laughed.

"That's no a New Year's resolution," he shook his head.

"Maybe to spend more time with my brothers," I said quietly. "I haven't been visiting much lately and I should've called more, too."

"I'll let that count," he nodded.

"What about you?" I wanted to know. "What's your resolution?"

Matt leaned his head back against the wall and seemed to think about it for a while. When he sat up straight again, he told me we had 20 seconds left of the old year. Suddenly excitement filled me and my heart started racing, as I realized I was about to experience New Year's Eve with Matt, the guy I had a mad crush on.

"Maddie?" I looked up and returned the small smile he gave me. I peered at the watch on his wrist, seeing there were less than 10 seconds to go now. All of a sudden he touched my cheek lightly, the spot instantly burning, and while I was still busy trying to figure out what the hell was going on, he leaned down and kissed me just ever so lightly.

My eyes closed and I didn't dare to move. He broke away after just a few seconds, but I could still feel his breath fall over my face, so he couldn't have moved too far away. His thumb brushed over my cheek gently, prompting me to open my eyes, which I did. A shy, but brilliant smile curved his lips upward and I could feel mine curl into one as well.

"My New Year's resolution? Finally ask the girl I like on a date, like I've wanted to since forever," he whispered, his brown eyes locked on mine.

Our smiles widened and I inwardly was doing the silliest happy dance you can imagine, screaming at the top of my lungs in joy. He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and placed another kiss on my lips, just as short and tender as the first.

"Happy New Year's, Maddie," he told me. I bit on my bottom lip, the smile never leaving my face.

"Happy New Year's, Matt," I replied and leaned forward for another kiss. He met me in the middle and this time we didn't pull apart after a few short seconds. His lips were unexpectedly soft and they melded perfectly against mine as we kept the kiss going. Matt's hand stayed on my cheek, his other seeking out my hand to lace our fingers together. My free hand developed a mind of its own, settling at the back of his neck and head.

"So you will?" I didn't move my head from its comfortable resting place on his collarbone, although the sudden question surprised me. We'd been sitting in companionable quietness since a while, before he broke the silence with his question.

The space between us had been all but eliminated, I was securely tucked under his arm, my head in the crook of his neck and shoulder. His arm was wrapped tightly around me, hand intertwined with mine. He held my other hand on his knee, drawing circles on the back of it with his thumb. I'd honestly never felt so content just sitting somewhere in silence and I wished my parents would never come to pick me up.

"I will what?" I spoke quietly.

"Go on a date with me?" he asked, sounding a little uncertain and even shy.

I couldn't help but laugh quietly. "Of course I will," I told him in a 'duh' tone. "You're not the only one that's wanted this since forever."

He shifted away from me so he could look at me. "Really?"

"Matt, pretty much every girl that rides here has a huge crush on you," I pointed out amusedly, trying not to laugh at the shocked surprise on his face. "What? It's true!"

He blushed, which was seriously one of the cutest things I'd ever seen, and hummed something under his breath. "That's, uh... I don't know."

I leaned over and placed a soft kiss on the corner of his mouth, showing my gratitude for him being so humble and down-to-earth. He gave me an adorable little grin that only made my butterflies flutter faster and harder, they hadn't stopped since he set foot into the box almost an hour ago. "You really didn't notice?"

"Uhm, I guess not," he admitted, slightly embarrassed. "Really pretty much everyone?" He grimaced slightly. I nodded. "Oh jeeze."

I laughed quietly and settled my head on his shoulder again. He leaned his head on mine and continued to draw intricate designs on my hand, allowing us to go back to our content silence from earlier.

"Your brothers are going to kill me," he suddenly pointed out.

"Way to ruin the mood, Matt," I rolled my eyes.

"It's true though. They're going to have my head served on a silver platter."

"No, they're not," I said firmly. "Remember when Eric brought me around the day before Christmas?"

"Mhm."

"He kind of knew something was up? Uhm, and they... pretty much know now?"

"That explains why Marc and Jared gave me the stink eye at the parade," Matt chuckled and squeezed my shoulders a little. "Oh! Right! Christmas! I knew I was forgetting something!" he jumped suddenly and pushed me away from him a little, so he could pull something from the pocket of his hoodie.

"I wanted to give it to you on Christmas, but then Theo stood on your foot and at the parade there just wasn't the right moment, so... Merry belated Christmas, Maddie," he smiled at me and let a golden chain fall into my open hand.

I picked it up carefully and smiled shakily, when I saw the unicorn pendant attached to it. "How did you know?" I whispered, glancing at him. He smiled.

"When we were planning the parade, you really wanted to make Alabaster a unicorn and you looked so crushed, when we scratched that part, so I thought you should have your own unicorn," he explained and helped me to put the bracelet on my left wrist. It fit perfectly.

"It's beautiful, thank you," I smiled at him. "I'm sorry, I don't have anything for you with me..."

"Don't worry about it," he assured me and sealed it with a soft kiss. I leaned forward and stole another one, just because I'd just realized I could do that now.

I curled back under Matt's arm and the few minutes until my parents came to pick me up, we spent discussing our respective Christmas gifts. Luckily we heard them coming, before they could see us and so we sat with that reasonable distance between us, when Mom and Dad reached Lady's box. Matt helped me up and handed me my crutches, while he wished my parents a happy New Year and they him.

"Good night, Maddie," Matt smiled at me, when we turned to leave.

"Good night, Matt," I smiled back and started my hobbling journey out to the car.

Judging from the way Mom eyed me through the rearview mirror, she was driving because Dad apparently had a few too many drinks for her to let him drive, and the knowing smile on her face, we hadn't succeeded in being sneaky like I'd hoped we had. I couldn't keep in the small grin, when our eyes met, but I knew my secret was safe with her, until I was ready to talk. That's just something between Moms and daughters.
♠ ♠ ♠
Uptown Girl outfit

+++++

so how did you like the first kiss? :)
I kinda really like Matt :P I love how I mane him all sweet and stuff, one of my better character developments for sure! :)

Keep the comments coming, I'm loving to hear what you think about everything and it definitely motivates me to update sooner and write more ;)
Have a good day!