Status: Complete.

Beside You

got

“Good game!” I beamed at Marc, wrapping my arms around his neck in a hug with a cheesy-silly wide smile. He laughed and picked me up, twirling me around a little.

“How much sugar did you have, Mads?” he asked as he put me back on my feet. My grin widened.

A lot.” Marc just shook his head with another laugh.

It was Friday, January 14th and thus the day after Marc’s 24th birthday. The week after the following it would be exams week, so I was very lucky that my parents had allowed me to make a weekend trip to New York to see my brother and deliver some (belated) birthday wishes. The only game this weekend had just ended, another luck-out for me. Weekends with two games, no matter which days, weren’t that much fun to visit my brothers at, because they wouldn’t have that much time to hang out and do stuff.

“Hey, you weren’t kidding! Hi, Maddie!” It appeared that Mike (del Zotto) seemed to be almost as hyper as I was, but that was understandable after a 3-nothing win against Nashville.

“Hi, Mike!” I mocked him and was easily transferred from my brother’s into his arms. “Nice goal you got there,” I smiled at him, when he let go of me. His grin became even wider, if that was possible.

“Thanks. So, you going out with us now? He’s not making you stay at home, is he?” Mike questioned, but before I could answer him Brandon had seen me. I was used to being passed around in greetings, so I just waited it out and then sought refuge at my brother’s side. They quickly made plans to hit up some dinner and then maybe some drinks (not for me) and split up to their respective cars.

Since I had seen Marc only in passing before the game, because my flight came in late (it was really a bother to always have to go from T-Bay to Toronto and then from Toronto anywhere...), the few quiet moments during the car ride were his opportunity to catch up with me before everyone else did.

“So.” He gave me a side glance and I knew what he was asking, but pretended to be clueless.

“So what?”

“So, how did the date go?”

I chuckled and started the gymnastic task of taking off my (#18 Staal, of course) jersey while being strapped in. Marc hated when people weren’t strapped in when he was driving and I didn’t want to piss him off before the night had even started. If I was lucky he wouldn’t drop me off at his apartment before the guys went for a drink, but it was going to take all my little-sister tricks and knowledge to get him to that point. “Dad didn’t tell you?”

“He did, but I want to hear your perspective,” he replied. I sat back in my seat when I finished with the jersey and brushed my hair back into order with my fingers. That way I was buying myself a few moments to pick the right words.

“It was really good. Matt took me to this little Italian diner that had really good pizza and pasta and afterwards we went to see the new Narnia movie in 3D. I had a great time,” I told him finally, a smile pulling on the corners of my lips at the thought and memory.

“So, any plans for more dates? Are you dating?” he questioned. My bottom lip protested with pain as I chewed on it, wondering if I should tell him this already or wait a little longer to give away what only a few people already knew. I swallowed.

“Uhm, actually...” I started and Marc perked up, giving me a scrutinizing look like he knew something was up, which he probably did. It was easy for my brothers to read me and I’d never been good at lying. “He kind of asked me to be his girlfriend two days ago?” I offered weakly, unsure of how he would react. Going on a date was one thing, having a boyfriend an entirely different one, as I’d found out when I’d talked to Jared the day before.

“Well, he either asked you or he didn’t,” Marc commented dryly, keeping his poker face. I sighed.

“He did ask,” I surrendered.

“So what did you say?”

“I said yes,” I brought out with as much confidence as I could, which wasn’t a lot. This whole situation was completely new for me, not only going on dates and having a boyfriend, but also dealing with my brothers in this way. Their promises to keep me locked up until I was 30 and finally ready to surrender to being a nun had popped into my mind a few too many times for my taste during the past weeks. I couldn’t really picture them getting really angry about it and viciously grilling Matt until he volunteered to leave me alone, but weirder things had happened with them before. Like Jared asking me to teach him how to ride or Marc’s ridiculous dyed-blond hair when he was in Sudbury (that was before Jared was there, too). Or Eric asking me for help on his wedding vows. Looney bin bunch...

“So, first boyfriend then, huh?” I let out a frustrated groan.

“Could you please stop saying ‘so’ and wording everything in questions? I know you’re trying to make me as uncomfortable as can be about this thing and congratulations, it worked, but you don’t have to be such an ass about it!” I complained crossing my arms over my chest. “This is weird for me, too, okay?”

“Whoa, sorry, I didn’t mean to piss you off, Maddie,” Marc backpedaled immediately. “You just react funny is all.” I turned my head and gave him an icy glare. He held up his hands after parking the car. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry.”

I shrugged and unbuckled myself to climb out of Marc’s car. He hurried to get out as well and catch up with me before the distance between us got too big. I really hated when my brothers just picked on me and did stuff, just because I ‘reacted funny’ or they liked to see me squirm. It made me feel like the bad kind of little sister, the kind that’s annoying as shit, that you want to get rid of and that you pick on because you can’t stand her. I was trying really hard not to be like that and it hurt when they gave me the feeling I was.

“Heyy.” Marc tugged on my sleeve, stopping me before we entered the restaurant. “I’m sorry, Madison, I didn’t mean to make you mad or hurt you.” He made it a point to catch my eyes so I could see he meant it and quickly kissed me on the forehead, when I nodded.

Apparently my little sister skills were pretty polished, because Marc didn’t pass one word of protest, when the guys and some of the girlfriends were ready to head to the bar. I was ecstatic to be sitting between Brandon and Mike, a glass of ginger ale in front of me, just following the conversations and everything that was going on in the bar, as it was not something I got to experience often. Actually, the only time I ever got into a bar was here in New York, Eric was too much big brother to take me, additionally married with a little boy, Jordan never cared to take me anywhere and Sudbury was boring after so many years of going there to see my brothers.

“Who’re you texting all the time, Maddie?” Brandon asked curiously, trying to peak at my blackberry. Marc laughed into his drink as I quickly stuffed the phone back into my pocket. “Did I miss something? Marc?”

My brother just smirked and shook his head. “That’s Maddie’s thing to tell.” I glared at him and sent him to get me a new drink, planning to finish this one off pretty soon. Mike had disappeared shortly before to pick up the girl he’d been eyeing up at the bar and Brandon followed Marc for a refill, leaving me all by my lonesome for just a few moments.

“Hi. I’m Tyler.” I looked up and saw a blonde guy, about 6’’, standing in front of me. Not to be mean, but he was probably around average looking and the way he just freely took Marc’s previous spot without asking or any acknowledgement from me was just plain rude. Same went for offering me a new drink, when evidently my old one hadn’t been finished.

“Do you have a name?”

“I do,” I replied simply, trying my hardest to keep my face neutral instead of smirking. “But I don’t think my boyfriend would appreciate you hitting on me and offering me a drink.”

“Neither does her older brother,” Marc chipped in, reappearing at just the right moment. My brothers had a way of keeping an eye on me, I’ll never know how they do it, they must have secret eyes in the backs of their heads or something. ‘Tyler’ made quick word of fleeing the scene, which was his luck, Marc was a no non-sense guy regarding hitting on his baby sister.

“Did I just hear you right? Did you say my boyfriend?” Matt Gilroy re-appeared out of thin hair, his girlfriend Jamie tucked into his side.

“Who’s got a boyfriend?” Mike came back to our little booth at the same time.

Who’s got a boyfriend? Are you kidding me, del Zotto? Madison’s obviously the only one that’s a possibility,” Matt snorted and even Marc rolled his eyes at his teammate’s dumbness.

“Okay, spill,” Mike turned to me, trying to give me the same scrutinizing look that Marc had given me earlier, but Mike wasn’t even a tenth as good as it as Marc was. Marc on the other hand was grinning like a Cheshire cat, knowing they would grill me for every tiny detail now and he was going to enjoy every second of it.

“Actually, the only interesting part is how the poor guy is still alive. How did you get him to survive your brothers, Maddie?” Jamie chuckled.

“He asked permission,” Marc gave away and the guys whistled through their teeth.

“His name’s Matt... I’ve known him since a few years, his parents own the stable where my horses stand,” I informed them slowly. “He asked me out on New Year’s Eve and yeah... that’s it.”

“What’s he look like?” Jamie asked curiously. I smiled and forked over my phone that had a picture of me and Matt from when I visited the stable during this week, Lady’s grey head nudging mine from the left and Matt on my right, both of us laughing. I had a few pictures of that moment actually, Lady had had one of heir funny-weird moments and we just had to document it. “Tall, dark, handsome then, huh? He’s cute.” As she went to hand the phone back, Brandon snatched it and then handed it to Mike for further inspection.

“Eh, he’s alright,” Mike shrugged and finally gave the phone back into my possession. That exact moment it rang...

Damn Girl!!!

Damn, you's a sexy bitch, a sexy bitch!
Damn, you's a sexy bitch!

(Sexy bitch – David Guetty feat. Akon)

Immediately I blushed beat red, naturally, wishing to hide under a rock or in a dark corner. Marc was looking at me like he wanted to yell at me, Mike was laughing, Brandon somewhere between amusement and bewilderment, Jamie and Matt were taking in the scene.

“I hate you, Abigail! I swear to God, I’m never letting you use my phone again!” I complained to my best friend right after picking up. Her laughter met my ear and I knew she’d only called to embarrass the f*** out of me with this ringtone. She refused to tell me which other ringtones she’d changed as well, just telling me to say hi to Marc and the rest, wishing me a good night. For a lack of a better word: bitch.

The next day the Rangers had a practice at noon and instead of strolling around in New York City (in the freezing cold) or hanging out in Marc’s (by now boring) apartment, I had tagged along, eager to watch my brother practice and play in peace. I didn’t usually make these trips alone, my parents accompanied me (or I them?) 90% of the time and when they did, there was always something else to do.

Coach kept the practice light with just a few drills and things he wanted to work on, nothing too interesting for me to watch. I distracted myself by, again, texting with anyone that was willing to do so (mainly Matt and Abby). Abby was at her most hated aunt’s place, because it was that aunt’s birthday, and all her little comments were absolutely hilarious to read. I knew which aunt she was talking about, too, so that made it even more fun. Matt had just been working with Lady a little, trying to keep her moving in my absence, and told me she was starting to follow him around like a puppy like she did with me, which I found both hilarious and pretty cute, too. He made it a point to tell me how much he missed our rides together, especially now that there was new snow that sparkled and gleamed in the midday sun.

All of a sudden though my phone rang, instead of beeping, and when I checked the caller ID I was very surprised. I couldn’t recall that that person had ever even called me on my cell phone since I had this one (last spring/summer), so I was curious as to what they wanted when I picked up.

“Hello?”
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry! It's been really forever since I posted on this :(
I hope you still like this chapter and leave some comments nevertheless.
Hopefully my muses will be back asap and I'll get some more writing done! :D