Status: Not so active, but updates are still underway. :]

Age Is But a Number

Fifteen

The Jonases and Mrs. Matters decided it would be best if they wait out the night since the police said they would stay nearby and keep a close watch on them. Charlotte still didn’t feel too protected. When the boys were going to go back to their rooms, Charlotte asked them - begged them to stay. She suspected they would be good body guards. Kevin was a good comforter, someone who she always felt safe with, so that was definitely a bonus when she fell asleep in his arms.

Charlotte was woken up by the irregular beating of her heart, more so than usual because it was already beating from fear of her nightmare. She shot up, panting, and looked around to make sure her surroundings were not the ones in her nightmare. She found Kevin up and packing some clothes into his suitcase.

“Morning,” Kevin said softly. “You okay?”

Charlotte didn’t answer him. “You left?” she asked. He was also wearing a different outfit from the one he was wearing yesterday.

Kevin nodded. “But I came back. I wanted to get started on packing. These are Joseph‘s clothes.” Charlotte nodded, looking over to her side to see Joe and Nick sleeping in one bed, Joe sprawled out and arm wrapped around a snoring Nick.

It was silent as Charlotte tried to wake up and Kevin packed clothes. Charlotte was feeling a bit of confusion since she was still a bit angry over the kisses. She did beg him to stay and comfort her, though. Hence the confusion.

Kevin felt her confusion. She wasn’t talking with him, but she didn’t like the fact that he left. He said to her: “I‘m still trying to figure out if you still hate me or not after what happened yesterday.”

Charlotte was caught off guard. She was just thinking that and he brought it up. “Can you read minds?” Kevin raised an eyebrow. “I was literally just thinking that. Stop it. You don‘t need to be in my head.”

“Ah, but you have such a pretty head,” Kevin replied, grinning.

She rolled her eyes and got up. “Don‘t start that again,” she snapped. “I really don‘t need that right now.”

“Okay, but that doesn‘t mean I‘m going to leave you alone. I‘m always there for you. Got that Charlotte?”

“Yes, Kevin,” she muttered. She walked into the bathroom and shut the door. She was going to slam it, but she remembered the two sleeping brothers not too far from the door. If she slammed it, they would wake up. If it was Kevin sleeping soundly she would have gladly slammed the door.

.:-:.

“I don‘t want to go out there,” Charlotte squeaked, staring wide eyed at the door. “I don‘t care what the police said, he could still be out there.”

“My mom just spoke with them,” Nick reassured her. “And Kevin is out there talking with them. They told my mom they checked the whole area and he was nowhere.”

Kevin came in just then. “The policeman just told me they caught one of his goons. Apparently he has people out looking for you.” Charlotte began hyperventilating. “Don‘t worry, Charlie. They‘re drilling him with information - and there has been no sign of your dad since last night.”

Charlotte tried to calm down the rapid beating of her heart and stood up from her spot on the couch. She nodded, took a deep breath in, and grabbed her suitcase. She walked out confidently, showing no fear. She showed too much last night. Right now she was angry and scared - angry at her dad and herself. And she was feeling faint, but that wasn’t that big of a deal compared to what was going on, so she tried to ignore her stumbling. It didn’t go ignored by her friends and Caitlyn rolled her eyes.

“You‘re going to pass out - breathe, girl!” she shouted at her.

“I‘m not going to pass out!” Charlotte protested, scowling at her best friend. “I‘m fine, so stop worrying about me!” She stopped, staring down at the ground for a few moments. She looked back up her friends, glared, and continued going down the stairs.

Caitlyn and the boys followed after and she stared down at what Charlotte was staring at. She picked it up and sighed.

“What is it?” Nick asked, looking down at the piece of torn fabric.

“Charlotte‘s shirt,” she answered. “Well, part of it. Harold almost got her last night. She kicked him in the nose and that‘s when he let go, taking this -” she held up the piece of fabric “- with him.”

“That explained her torn shirt from last night,” said Joe. “You guys cut it close, didn‘t you?”

“You have no idea,” Caitlyn muttered, her heart beating from fear. “I‘ve never met her dad before. What a first impression he made.”

“He didn‘t have any other guys with him?” Nick asked curiously. Caitlyn shook her head, looking down to make sure she didn‘t miss a step. The four of them made it down the stairs. “Even if Harold isn‘t around, do you think any of those guys are around watching? I mean, even if they caught one, there has to be more guys.”

“Oh crap,” Joe breathed. “You‘re right. Do you think they‘ve been watching her the whole time?”

“They must have, or how else would Harold have known she was here?” Kevin added. “Maybe . . . maybe we should, like, switch cars halfway home. She‘ll go with Mom, Mrs. Matters, and Frankie first, then with me on the rest of the way there. I‘ll take her out to eat, help her take her mind off of her day, and I‘ll drop her off at home. If they happen to be watching, they‘ll think she went home with Mom and not out with me.”

“You know she is still mad at you, right?” Caitlyn reminded him. “I‘m sorry but she is not going to want to go with you.”

“Go where?” Charlotte asked, walking over to her friends. “What are you guys talking about?”

Kevin explained his plan. Charlotte took it into consideration. She was still mad at Kevin; there was no way around it. She was the type that held grudges. But she also felt she could convince him that he should move on when they got the chance alone together. That and she would go because Kevin looked so hopeful. He was so adorable when he grinned that way.

Charlotte looked away, taking deep breaths. The boy made her heart beat unnecessarily hard. Darn it. “Okay, fine. Sounds like a good plan,” she said, avoiding Kevin’s eyes. “I‘ll go tell Kimiko.”

“I‘ll go with you. I have to talk to Mom about my lost charger,” Caitlyn added, following Charlotte.

“You couldn‘t find it? Cady, you have to keep track of your things,” Mrs. Matters said after she agreed to Kevin’s plan.

“Yes Mom,” Caitlyn sighed and Charlotte gently pushed her.

The two girls walked away and the brothers went to Kevin’s jeep. Joe and Nick smirked at one another and went on either sides of Kevin. Nick folded his arms across his chest and Joe put his hands on his hips. They were both giving him looks and Kevin tried his best to ignore them as he packed Charlotte’s slightly ruined suitcase into his trunk. Then his. Finally he cracked.

“What?!” he asked his brothers. “Did I do something wrong?”

“No,” Nick answered him, his grin growing wider. “You did something very clever and witty.”

“Don‘t forget smooth,” Joe added, the same grin on his face. “Very smooth, actually.”
“What are you two talking about?” Kevin asked.

“We‘re talking about the fact you got Charlotte to go on a date with you without her knowing it‘s a date,” Nick answered. Kevin raised his eyebrow.

I‘ll take her out to eat, help her take her mind off of her day, and I‘ll drop her off at home,” Joe mocked. “You just wanted time alone with her. And you got her to agree. We would like to know the secret of your success.”

“Mostly Joe, since I am feeling pretty awesome because I have a date with Cady tomorrow,” Nick bragged. “Still, I would like some advice from the Sexy Man.”

“I didn‘t try to do that, I just want to keep her safe,” Kevin told them.

Right,” Joe and Nick replied with a hint of being unconvinced.

Kevin rolled his eyes and just gave up on trying to convince them that he didn’t plan on things turning out greatly in his favor: Charlie and him together, going out to eat, just spending time with her. Maybe he can apologize and she can forgive him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heeheehee, I love the ending of this chapter; I love any parts with the three brothers just by themselves. Like in the last chapter, the thing with the dog bones. :P Anywho, enough of the (slight) narcisism, this is the last update of today. Hoped ya liked it. ;]

Love,
Breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (<-- it's getting longer! Ah!)