Sequel: Hearts On Fire

In the Rose Garden

The Skeptics Can Place Their Bets

Lily sighed and stood in front of a big brown moving box. She ripped the grey duct tape off and looked at her clothes. It wasn't until she started unpacking that she realized just how many clothes she actually had.

"G agreed to let you have the closet, right?" Addison asked as she held up some of Lily's designer dresses.

Lily turned and looked at her. "He said he just needs enough room to fit his dress shirts and suits in there and the rest is mine."

"Now that's a smart man," Addison commented.

Lily laughed. "I know, right." She started to separate and put her clothes away in her dresser so she'd have at least one thing done by the time Garbo got home from the studio. Luckily they didn't have to worry about furniture since the apartment was already furnished with new furniture. "I can't wait for Saturday. I am so ready to stop thinking about moving."

Addison stopped what she was doing. She had forgotten that she and Lily had made plans. She nervously turned to Lily and stuck her hands in her pocket. "Um, yeah, about Saturday, I totally forgot we had plans for that night. It's just that Nick-"

"Let me guess," Lily cut her off. "Nick, Joe and Kevin are playing a secret show or something and they asked you to come along and you said yes, forgetting that we already made plans."

"Not exactly-"

"What could they be doing that's so much more important?" Lily started to flip out.

"Nick and I are going to record my demo and we're doing so Saturday. You can still hang out with us though."

"Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, I want to hang out with my best friend without a Jonas around. You spend twenty-four/seven with that family. Really Addison, give it a break already. Your life doesn't revolve around Joe and his family."

"Yes it does. Joe is my boyfriend and I love him-"

"You've never even said it to him!"

"And that's my decision, not yours! Just because we didn't say it to each other the moment we met like you and Garbo did, that doesn't make us any less of a couple and it sure as hell doesn't mean I don't love him! Joe and his brothers just so happen to be some of my best friends and that's something you're going to have to accept."

Lily stood up straight and crossed her arms over her chest. "If they're your best friends then why are you here?"

The girls stared at each other for a moment before Addison stormed out of the room. She grabbed her bag off the kitchen and Lily heard the front door close. Lily then did something she didn't do often.

She burst into tears.

Addison quickly walked out of the apartment and got into her car. She slammed the door shut and jammed the key into the ignition. "Just who the fuck does she think she is! Telling me I spend all day every day with Joe when she's the one moving in with her boyfriend! Oh heaven forbid should my boyfriend be a big part of my messed life because he wants to be."

She then started to imitate Lily in a high pitched voice.

"Oh, you can't love Joe; you've never said 'I love you.' What the fuck ever! 'I love you' isn't just something you throw around. They're not just three little words! They're three little words that you should mean when you say them. She was there when I told her I broke up with Kyle. She was there when I cried over it. Okay so I didn't tell her the truth behind the breakup but she still saw how much it hurt me. Damn it Lily!"

Addison took in a deep breath and tightly squeezed her eyes shut so she wouldn't cry. After letting the breath out, she started her black Lexus, put in Halifax's The Inevitability of a Strange World and drove away.

After a fifteen minute drive, Addison was back at home at her father's apartment. She wandered in and dropped her keys on the counter before resting her head in her hands.

"Is everything all right?" her father asked as he stood up and approached the opposite side of the counter.

Addison shrugged her shoulders. "Lily hates me."

"I'm sure she doesn't."

"Yes, she does. We were supposed to go out this weekend, specifically Saturday, but Nick booked the studio for that same day and I totally forgot about Lily. Nick's already paid for the studio and everything so I can't back out now and I actually don't want too."

"Did you tell her that?"

"Yes I did and she just came back with that I spend all my time with Joe and his family and I never hang out with her anymore. But she does the same thing. She's always with Garbo and I don't complain about that one bit. She's even moving in with him and I never once said anything bad about that. I supported her all the way through."

"Maybe she-"

"And I guess she thinks that just because Joe and I don't tell each other I love you that we're less of a couple than she and Garbo. You know what I'm saying?"

Mr. Turner just looked at his daughter for a moment. She could clearly tell he had no idea what to say.

"I… uh…"

"Dad, it's okay. I just needed to get that out. Thanks," she said and kissed his cheek before going to her room. She took a black and white composition notebook out of her dresser and grabbed a pencil before sitting on her bed. She opened up to a blank page and thought for a moment.

The only one who took you in, the only one, who held your hand, defended you against the others. Had your back on everything, never let you down… You turned around betrayed your only brother.

Forgetting me, you took things in your hands and left me out. After we'd been through so much, how could you let me down?

I didn't know, I didn't know. I couldn't see, I couldn't see. Never thought you'd forget me. Couldn't believe, couldn't believe. How you deceived, you deceived. I never thought you'd do that to me.


Addison never thought she'd ever write a song like this about her best friend.

I will never be like you; I'll never do the things you do. Selfish and lonely, what's your problem? Letting go of you and this is harder than I thought but I will not be poisoned by your actions.

Was this the end of their friendship or were they just in a tiff?

Forgetting me, you took things in your hands and left me out. After we'd been through so much, how could you let me down?

I didn't know, I didn't know. I couldn't see, I couldn't see. Never thought you'd forget me. Couldn't believe, couldn't believe. How you deceived, you deceived. I never thought you'd do that to me.

Forgetting me, you took things in your hands and left me out. After we'd been through so much, how could you let me down?

Down, you let me down.


Addison shut the notebook and stuck it back in her dresser underneath her bras and underwear. She walked out of her room and went into the living room where her father was reading some paperwork. She instantly recognized it as a contract.

"Got another album to sound… produce or whatever it is you do?"

He laughed at her choice of words. "Actually I get to produce All Time Low's next album. I'm in the big leagues now my dear."

"That's pretty sweet. Good luck with that, Dad."

"You're not going to ask me if I can get you into the studio to meet them or anything like that?"

"I'll wait until you actually start recording with them."

"Okay, got it."

"So, I'm going to my second home. I'll probably be back tonight," she said and kissed her dad's forehead.

"All right, have fun," he responded already knowing that "second home" really meant "Joe's house."

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

"She'll come around sooner or later. She can't stay mad at you for things even she does," Joe said as he wrapped his arms around his girlfriend after she told him about the fight with Lily.

"You know, that's the first serious fight we've ever gotten into."

"I didn't know that. Well there's a first for everything… just like you recording with my brother."

"He told you about that, didn't he?"

"He's actually really excited about it. He must really see or hear something in you that's making the artist in him want you."

"That kind of didn't sound right but I get what you're saying," she said as she turned around in his arms to face him.

"Can I take you out tonight?"

"Are you asking me out on a date?"

"Yes, I am. Actually I already made reservations at this restaurant I think we should check out."

"Well then in that case, I would love to go out with you Joe."

"Awesome! Our reservations are at 7:30 so we'll leave here around 7. I would say so pretty yourself up but you're already way more pretty than pretty."

"Awe Joe thank you. You're pretty too and I'm sure there are thousands and thousands of girls who would agree with me."

"Oh yeah, I have no doubts about that," he said as he ran his fingers through his hair. "I am pretty good looking…"

Addison laughed. "I didn't say that much."

"Funny but really, from what I hear, it's a nice restaurant so we should probably be on the safe side and dress up just a tad."

"All right but all my fancy wear is at my dad's place so I'll have to stop over there to get it."

Joe shrugged one shoulder. "Okay, we can send Dani over there with you so she can help you pick something out since Lily's not really available right now."

"Don't even mention that name," Addison said and rolled her eyes.

Joe tightened his grip around Addison's waist. "Hey, let's not even worry about her tonight, okay? Tonight is about you and me."

After running around and getting everything she needed, at 6:45, Addison walked downstairs in her Betsey Johnson eve long ombre dress. The blue floor-length strapless silk dress had a sweetheart neckline and an ombre design. It had a banded empire waist with a flower and bow off to the left side.

Joe couldn't say anything at first. All he could do was stare at her with his mouth open. Kevin elbowed him and leaned over and whispered, "Dude, say something to her."

"Oh, uh right," he said and approached Addison. "You look amazing. I mean wow!"

Addison blushed. "Thanks Joe," she said and looked at the ground.

Joe put his hand underneath her chin and picked her head up. "You're really beautiful," he whispered.

"Hold on! I have to get a picture of this!" Mrs. Jonas said as she started to scramble for her camera.

Joe sighed. "Mom, no you don't! We're just going to dinner."

"You two look amazing! Besides, I need to send your grandmother some updated photos of you boys." She found her camera. She quickly snapped a few photos of the young couple and they were out the door by exactly 7 pm. They went out that night not knowing what a big deal it would end up being the next day.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

After having breakfast with his family, around 10:30 Mr. Jonas went to grab his phone off his dresser.

"Is it just me or is there something weird going on?" he asked his wife. She gave him a blank stare since she had no idea what he was talking about. "I just have a funny feeling about today." He turned his phone on noticed he had a bunch of missed calls and a few voicemails. "Okay, wow," he said as he scanned through the missed calls. The majority of them were from Stephanie Novak, the boys' publicist. "I'm guessing I should really call her back." He showed his wife all the missed calls.

"Oh no," she said and sighed. "Who did what now?" She waited while Stephanie filled him on what she knew. Mr. Jonas then filled his wife in as he checked through other messages on his blackberry. They then headed back downstairs and into the dining room where everyone was still hanging out. He pulled up a text message Stephanie had sent him and handed Joe his blackberry.

"You might want to read this," Mr. Jonas suggested to his middle son.

Joe took the phone and saw a web link. "Okay, I'll check it out now." He forward the message to his own phone and gave his father back his. Joe grabbed Addison's hand and they headed up to his room. He pulled up the link on his laptop and saw it was to a gossip blog. Both he and Addison were in shock and awe by what they read.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback kudos: Erin, Jenna, Katherine and Mashi.

What do you think they did that created chaos?

Excuse Addison's potty mouth at the beginning of this chapter. She was angry and upset. I'm sure you've been there before. The song she writes is called "Judas" by Kelly Clarkson. So for the purpose of this story we're going to act like Kelly Clarkson, David Kahne, Dwight Baker and Jimmy Messer did not write and compose this song and that this song isn't on her My December album. Maybe Addison will have sold her the song later in life so Kelly could record it since it is awesome. If you've never heard it, check it out.

Addison's dress

I don't know the boys' publicist's name so for this story, it's Stephanie Novak.

Quick note to Jenna and Mashi: don't feel bad for publishing the article. Addison will eventually get over it and you two still get to keep your jobs. There's no win-win for that one so I won't even try.

I promise to go the next five chapters without changing the layout even once. In due time, you'll get a better understanding of the banner. I must say though that I'm getting better at making pngs/cut-outs. I cut out the girl who portrays Addison and I cut out the photo of Joe. Not to toot my own horn…

Title credit: Artist vs. Poet - All In