Sequel: Hearts On Fire

In the Rose Garden

I'm Feeling Lovesick but I Don't Mind

Addison and Joe laughed and looked up at the night sky. The little balls of yellow and white light shone brightly against the dark blue night sky. The breeze carried the light smell of the nearby small creek. They fell into a silence that last for a full minute.

"I usually come out here when I want to be alone and away from everyone and everything. You're the first person I've ever brought out here," Joe told her and propped himself up on his elbow so he could face her.

"Not even Taylor?"

He got quiet. "Not even Taylor," he finally said after a moment.

"Huh, well I feel special then," she responded and mirrored his position.

Joe fell silent again and stared at Addison. Even in the short amount of time that he's known her, everything seemed natural and not forced with her. He felt like he could truly be himself with her whether there were cameras around or not. His developing relationship with Addison was easy but one obstacle stood in the way.

Joe dug his phone out of his pocket. "It's Taylor."

Addison sat up and waited for him to answer. Instead, he sent the call to voicemail and put the phone back in the front pocket of his jeans.

"We both should probably get going home," Addison suggested. A second later, Joe's phone started to ring again. This time it was his mom and this call he took.

"Yeah, you're right. That was my mom and she kind of realized I'm not there."

"Kind of realized?"

"Okay, she did realize," Joe said as they stood up and brushed themselves off. They walked back to Joe's car and Joe took her back to where they left her car.

Joe walked Addison to her car and they stood around for a moment.

"So uh… thanks for meeting up with me tonight," Joe said as he kicked a tiny rock.

"It was no problem, really," Addison responded and pulled her keys out of her pocket.

"I'll talk to you tomorrow then," Joe said and hugged her.

Addison discretely took in his scent. "Yeah, I'd like that." They said their goodbyes and Joe waited until Addison pulled away to leave.

Joe walked into the house and put his keys on the counter. He was about to head upstairs to his room when Nick stopped him.

"Where were you?" Nick asked.

"Out…" Joe responded.

"With Addison?"

"Could have been."

"In other words, yes."

"Hey, it is what it is," Joe said and headed upstairs. He sat on his bed and returned Taylor's call.

"Hello?"

"Hey, sorry about earlier when I wasn't able to answer my phone. I was driving," Joe lied.

"It's all right. Are you still coming out this weekend?"

"I'm going to try."

"Okay, well… just let me know."

"I know, Taylor."

As Joe zoned out his girlfriend, he kept thinking about Addison. She went from being the girl his girlfriend was rude to to the girl he may have just wanted to be his girlfriend. He could see himself with her. He found the fact that she couldn't relate to him a hundred percent a little more attractive. Their life experiences were literally on opposite ends of the spectrum. They would always have something to talk about whereas with Taylor, the conversation was full with lulls.

"Joe, are you listening to me?"

"Huh? Sorry. I got a lot on my mind tonight."

"Oh… well I have to go. I'll talk to you tomorrow." She hung up before Joe could get any last words in.

"Whatever then. Bye," Joe said and tossed his phone onto the nightstand.

Ever since that initial contact with Addison, he could feel a change happening within Taylor. He couldn't figure out where the change was coming from. He wasn't sure if he had done something wrong he didn't know about or if the change was because of her and her surroundings with her advancing career. Either way, he was pretty sure their relationship wasn't going to last much longer.

Joe wandered back downstairs where he found Kevin and Danielle watching television in the living room. He sat next to them. They made small talk before Danielle asked, "How's Taylor doing?"

"I don't know. I don't think we're going to last much longer. She seems to be becoming someone else," Joe said and shrugged his shoulders.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I wish there was more I could say or something I could do."

"No, it's okay. I think this is something I need to figure out on my own." Danielle touched his shoulder as she passed through the living room on her way to the kitchen.

Kevin said, "Maybe it's just not meant to be. I don't mean to make it seem like I'm making your relationship with her seem less than it is but I-"

"I think there's someone else," Joe blurted out as Danielle walked back into the room.

"Someone else?" she asked as she handed Kevin and Joe both a can of pop.

"Yeah, I met this girl last week and I really like her. We just spent some time together and I can really see us being together."

"Do you know if she likes you?" Danielle asked. "And don't say 'well I'm Joe Jonas' 'cause after spending time with you, you're not Joe Jonas anymore."

"I don't know. I mean she did give me her number and she did agree to meet up with me at an odd hour…"

"She just might like you or maybe she's just really nice," Kevin said and shrugged his shoulders.

"Maybe, I guess we'll see as time goes by."

"Maybe you should bring her over sometime. Maybe I can help you out and talk to her," Danielle suggested.

"I don't know. Nick's the only one who's met her and I don't want to get ahead of myself."

"Well, whatever you decide…"

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Lily leaned against the counter and looked out as the afternoon crowd slowly started to pour in. She agreed to come in and help out since another associate called in sick. Kim walked up and stood by Lily's side and said, "Okay, now is when we all go out onto the floor and help people find what they're looking for. Um, go help out Addison for now."

"Okay," Lily said and went out onto the floor to help Addison. "Lily here at your service," Lily told Addison and saluted her.

"Ha ha, thanks Lily," Addison said and handed a customer a box with high heels.

"So, tell me about what happened with Joe."

"He texted me last night and asked me to meet up with him somewhere, so I did. We just spent the time talking and getting to know each other."

"Now since you know him, has your opinion on him changed at all?"

Addison paused for a moment. "Yeah, it has. He's more than just a, you know, he's more than just a boy. He's a person…" Addison thought for a moment longer before adding, "And I think I really like him."

"Awe Addison… but what about Brandon?"

"I don't know, Lily. He called me earlier today but I didn't answer."

"Why not?"

"I don't know what I'd say. I mean, what is there to say?"

"What about Joe though? You two seemed to have no problem talking."

"It took Joe a few days to get my number. It took Brandon either four or five years to get it. Maybe it's time I moved on Brandon."

"Well maybe-"

"If you don't mind me saying but I think you should stick with Joe. It sounds to me that Brandon took way too long and Joe beat him to the punch. Tough cookies for Brandon, it's his loss. If Joe makes his move after only a couple days then that shows he's pretty determined," Mrs. Martin, who was a frequent shopper, told Addison.

Addison looked at the older woman and decided that she knew what she was talking about.

"Thanks Mrs. Martin. I think I'm going to go with Joe after all. I just… I can see myself with him."

Lily couldn't help but laugh at the goofy grin that took over Addison's face.

"Awe but it's cute!" she exclaimed when Addison snapped back to reality.

"Thanks Lily!"

The girls walked through the shop and into the backroom. Addison asked, "Is it weird that I want him to call?"

"No, not at all," Lily responded.

"After last night, I just feel like we really made a connection but I don't know if he felt it too. Well, he did ignore a phone call from Taylor but then again, maybe he's just really nice."

"I don't know. If you were a boy and were dating Taylor Swift, would you ignore a phone call from her?"

"I probably wouldn't, to be honest. She is Taylor Swift after all."

"Maybe it's like you said earlier, they could be having problems."

"He's dating Taylor Swift. What could I possibly have that she doesn't? She's so pretty and has fame and everything."

"Addison, you're prettier than she is and just because she's famous, that doesn't make you any less of a great person. Maybe Joe likes the fact that you're not famous. With Taylor, their relationship and private lives are front and center news. With you, Joe would have something to call his own and keep it his own."

"That's true. You know, what if I'm reading into this too much? What if he just wants a new friend?"

"Come on now Addison. He asked you for your number in private."

Kim stuck her head in the backroom. "Hey girls, come on. We need you out here."

"We'll finish this conversation later," Lily said and followed behind Kim.

"I guess we will," Addison said and sighed. She left the backroom and went back to doing her job.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm working on a character page. I don't like Mibba's so I make mine elsewhere. It'll most likely be posted on my livejournal. That should be done by the time the next chapter goes up.

Before I forget: Happy 10th birthday Frankie!

Over the next few chapters there's going to be a lot more Taylor. Make what you will of that.

Kudos: Jenna, Stephanie, Mashi, Rae, Amanda for the feedback. I seriously appreciate it. If you ever refer friends or readers, let me know.

Title credit: Jonas Brothers - Lovesick