Sequel: Hearts On Fire

In the Rose Garden

The Next Step

Addison watched Lily as she pulled a second pan of cupcakes out of the oven and set them on the counter. She pushed aside the ones that were cooled enough to be frosted. She pulled some Tupperware out of the cabinet and set them near the sink. She looked back at Addison.

"You know, after being together for fourteen days, you'd think we couldn't stand each other."

Addison shrugged her shoulders. "You're one of the few people I can stand anymore."

"That makes two of us."

Addison looked around for a moment and said, "Where's Greg?"

"Sleeping still."

"It's almost 11!"

"I know, right!"

Addison slid off the stool "Is he dressed?"

"Yes... why?"

"Well you know, two weeks..."

"Nope. He was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow."

"Ha! Sucks for you."

"You can't talk. It's not like you and Joe had sex either." Addison just stared at her. "Oh my god you did!"

"No! Well almost but he pulled out at the last second." Lily scrunched her face up. "Okay that was the wrong terminology. He stopped himself."

"How do you feel about that?"

"What are you, my therapist?!" Addison walked away. Lily followed her down the hallway and to the bedroom. Addison threw open the door and took a running leap into the bed.

"Shit!" Greg said when Addison landed on him.

"Garbo! Why are you still asleep? It's 11 in the morning!" She took a hold of his face. "It's time to get up!"

Greg took her hands off his face. "Why aren't you at home grabbing Joe's face?"

"I already did that this morning." She laughed. "Now he's at his parents' house watching Frankie."

"You should go to Joe's parents' house and do it to Joe again. Hell maybe even Kevin and Nick. Why leave them out?"

"Now that's just mean."

"Lily! Will you get your friend?"

"You mad?" Addison asked.

"I'm getting there."

Lily laughed. "Okay Addison, let's leave him alone now."

"Okay," Addison said in faked disappointment. She climbed off of him and followed Lily out of the room.

"You are something else," Lily said as she put an arm around her best friend.

"I just wanna keep life interesting."

Meanwhile at the Jonas residence, Kevin and Joe stood outside in the backyard keeping an eye on Frankie and his friends who were playing in the pool. Joe scratched his face and then looked at his older brother.

"Kevin, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"How do you know when you're ready?"

"Ready for what?" Kevin responded. He saw Joe staring at him. "Oh! That ready... You just know. Why?"

"Addison and I almost, you know, last night but I stopped."

"Have you two talked about it?"

"Sort of... not really I guess. I mean we've touched upon the subject but never went into detail."

"Maybe that's what holding you back. Just sit down and talk it out with her. After that, you'll know if you're really ready or not. Do you know if she's ready?"

"She is but she said she's okay waiting for me."

"Yeah, just talk it out. You've got a great girl and I'm sure she'll be okay with whatever you decide. And make sure you have protection."

"Good thing we didn't then last night 'cause we don't have any of that."

"I got you. Just remind me before you leave."

"Thanks Kevin... and don't tell anyone about this. Please?"

"Tell anyone about what?"

"What are we not telling anyone about?" Nick asked walking up behind them.

"Nothing," Joe and Kevin said in unison.

"Okay, I see how it is."

"You'll understand in a few years," Kevin told him.

Joe pulled his phone out of his pocket and sent his girlfriend the can we talk later? text. She responded back a minute later letting him know she was on her way over there and she'd be there in five minutes. Since he wasn't paying attention, he didn't see the beach ball coming at his face. Moments later, everyone was doubling over with laughter; everyone except Joe.

"Very funny guys! Frankie, I'm watching you!"

Nick stood up and straightened his shirt. "Thanks for the laughs," he said with his hands on Joe's shoulders. He headed back inside and a minute later, Joe felt arms around his waist.

"Hey babe," Addison said from behind him and rested her chin on his shoulder.

"Done at Lily's already?" he asked.

"Yeah, Greg got mad at me," she said as she stood next to him.

"Did you grab his face, slap him?"

"Once." Joe just stared at her. "Okay twice." He kept staring. "What! I got excited to see him! I wanted him to wake up!"

Joe shook his head. "That's so you."

Addison wrapped her arms around his waist. "What did you want to talk about?"

"Last night," he said and kissed her. They heard gagging noises coming from the pool. "Really Frankie, really?"

Frankie laughed. "Boom!"

"Have fun, bro," Joe said to Kevin and walked away with Addison.

"I love you!" Frankie shouted.

* * *

Addison picked Joe's clothes up off the floor and tossed them into the basket. A tube of Neosporin fell out of one of his pockets so she picked that up as well. She opened the drawer to the nightstand on his side of the bed to drop it in when she noticed the condoms. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw movement and looked up to see Joe. He walked over and shut the drawer. He motioned for her to sit down. She sat on the bed and he next to her.

"About last night-"

"Joe, it's fine. You already know that I'm going to wait for you. It's really not that big of a deal."

"I know you've said you'd wait and I appreciate that. Maybe it's a big deal for me. It's a big next step for both of us, no matter how much you play it off. I just want to make sure for a fact that we're both on the same page with this."

"Babe," she said and took his hand.

"Besides, I don't know any of your history where sex is concerned."

"Um, okay. I lost my virginity when I was sixteen. It was to Drake Bell because he was my boyfriend at that time. It was when everything started happening with my mom so I guess I didn't have the best intentions when it happened. With Drake, I felt like I needed to fill an empty space. With you, it's different. With you, I already feel complete. I just want to show you I love you." She looked away from him for a second. "He's the only person I've ever been with."

"Thanks for sharing this with me." He leaned over and kissed her. "We're on the same page too."

"Okay great! Can we go to bed now?" she asked. "I mean to sleep."

Joe laughed. "Yes, we can go to sleep now."

* * * * *

"You okay babe?" Joe asked the next morning during breakfast.

Addison let out a shaky sigh as she pushed her food around her plate. "I'm just not very hungry." She shifted in her seat. "Is it hot in here?"

"Not really..."

"I feel like shit. I'm going back to bed," she said as she stood up. She placed her plate on the counter and went back to the bedroom. She changed out of her t-shirt and put a tank top on. She tossed her flannel pants to the end of the bed and climbed in. Joe wasn't far behind her. He set a glass of water on the nightstand.

"Here's some water for you if you need it," he said as he leaned over her. He pushed her hair out of her face. "I hope you feel better soon." He kissed her as she mumbled a response he couldn't understand. He quietly left the room and went to the living room. He checked on her every couple hours to make sure she was all right. But this time when he checked on her, she was lying on the bathroom floor. Not wanting to take any chances, he went and got her dad.

Katie rushed into the bathroom and got down on the floor with Addison. She asked her what was wrong but all Addison could say was that it hurt.

"Ted, we need to get her to the hospital."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry there hasn't been an update in a while. It's a combination of writer's block and my new kitten. I can not say for sure that there will be an update next week. I'll be going to a music festival from Thursday to Sunday. I'll try to get one posted either right before or right after. Thanks for reading.