Sequel: Hearts On Fire

In the Rose Garden

Here We Go Again

Some nurses rushed into the little room where Addison was. They started gathering up everything and getting ready to wheel her out.

"What's going on?" Mr. Turner asked.

"Mr. Turner, we're afraid Addison could have appendicitis. So right now we're going to take her to the E.R. and go ahead and take out her appendix. We'll let you know when it's done," the E.R. doctor told them and headed out. Katie followed behind him until he stopped and turned around. "Katie we got this. She'll be fine."

"Make sure you take good care of her," she said as he walked away. He waved a hand in the air. "She's my daughter!"

"Katie, come on," another nurse said softly as she walked towards her. "Travis is the one doing the surgery so you know she's in good hands." She led them into the waiting room. "Do you guys need any coffee or anything?" Everyone shook their heads. "Okay. I'll let you know when she comes out."

"Thanks Brianna," Katie said as she sat next to Addison's father.

Mr. Turner took his girlfriend's hand. "Your daughter?"

"I did say that, didn't I? I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay. I actually like the sound of that."

"I just... I love her and Finn. I really do. I kind of see them as my twins too."

"Speak of the devil," Mr. Turner said as he looked at his ringing phone. He answered Finn's call.

"Dad? I just tried to call Addison. She's not answering my calls or texts. Is she okay? I feel like something is wrong."

"Finn, she's in surgery right now. She has appendicitis."

"What hospital are you at?"

"You don't need to come right now. I'll call you in the morning, okay?"

"Okay. Tell her I love her."

"Will do. Good night, Finn."

Katie got up and paced the room for a moment before sitting back down. She reached out and took Joe's hand.

"How are you doing?" she asked him.

"If I had known that this is what it was, I would have told you sooner. She didn't tell me that she was in any pain."

"Don't blame yourself. It could have been anything," Katie said. "Trust me. I've seen many cases where they thought it was the appendix but it wasn't once they got in there."

Joe just nodded his head. They sat in silence until the doctor came in.

"Everything went exactly as planned. It was perfect. Addison is just fine. Her recovery should go just fine."

"Thank you so much," Mr. Turner said as he shook the doctor's hand.

"Hey, no problem. Brianna will come get you when Addison is ready." He walked away.

"Thank God everything went fine."

Katie took his hand. "Dr. Travis is the best. He really is."

"I'll take your word for it," he quietly responded. Fifteen minutes later, Brianna came into the waiting room.

"If you'll follow me, Addison is set up in a room." They followed her down a hallway and around a corner. They passed the nurse's station and Addison was set up two rooms down. They quietly walked in since she was asleep. "Our goal for tomorrow is to get her up and walking and then she should be able to go home the next day. We just want to make sure she's not in any pain and that everything is all good. She'll be on antibiotics so make sure she takes those for the entire time. I'm sure Katie will stay on top of that."

"Definitely," Katie agreed. Brianna quietly left the room while Joe walked over to the side of the bed. He leaned over and kissed Addison's forehead.

* * *

Mrs. Jonas walked into Addison's room and put on a happy face. She hugged Addison as best as she could.

"How are you feeling, sweetie?" she asked.

"A lot better than yesterday," Addison answered. "Thank God for Joe."

"Yes, thank God for Joe."

"Yes, thank God for me," Joe said as he walked into the room. "Hi Mom." He kissed her cheek.

"Hi honey." She fixed his hair a little bit. He touched his hair in the same spot and took his place by Addison's side.

Mrs. Jonas turned back to Addison. "Did they say when you'll be able to leave?"

"Hopefully later today," Addison responded as she sat up straighter.

"Well that's good." Mrs. Jonas stayed with them for a little longer before leaving. The nurses wanted to get Addison up and walking so she could go home, the sooner the better.

* * * * *

A few days later, Addison was sitting on a towel by the pool playing her guitar. Joe had a busy schedule once again and Addison found herself alone more often than not. Once Lines, Vines and Trying Times came out, Joe would be touring again except this time it would be a seven month world tour. She already decided to throw herself into her music and even considered going to college.

Finn walked into Addison's sight and started dancing. Addison laughed.

"You're such a dork," she said.

Finn shrugged his shoulders. "You wouldn't expect any less. That sounds really good."

"Thanks."

"Have you thought about doing anything more with your music? Like making a demo and shopping it around?"

"No," Addison responded and shook her head. "I don't want to perform. I just want to write music."

"I think you would get a record deal in no time... maybe even tour with Taylor Swift."

"Oh my God, Finn, it's not happening! Let it go!"

Finn laughed. "Okay, okay. I'm done with that."

"Good!"

"For now anyway..." Finn changed the subject. "So I'm moving in!"

"To where? Dad's house?"

"No, yours. Yes, dad's house you nerd!"

"Why?"

Finn looked over at her. "Well why not?"

"Because you'd always be here... No I'm just kidding," she said and then added, "A little." She shrugged her shoulders.

"I love you too, Addison." He patted her on the shoulder. "Where's Joe?"

"Rehearsing... Shooting a video... I don't know." She purposely started playing her guitar to avoid further conversation on the subject.

"Are you and Joe okay?" he cautiously asked.

"We're great."

"Are you-"

"Finn, stop. Please."

"Sorry. I just... I don't know. You know, you get a record deal, you could go on tour and open for the Jonas Brothers..."

"Still don't want a record deal."

"I'm gonna head inside. I'm really sorry I brought anything up."

Addison felt bad as he walked away. She needed to find a way to handle Joe leaving better and she knew it. She wasn't sure what to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
Over the next few chapters, there are going to be a lot of time jumps, at least a couple years. I just don't feel like I can do much more with Addison and Joe at 19 years old beyond the basic teenage drama. They will also be much longer chapters than what you've been getting lately. They'll be 2000+ words. So you have that to look forward to.