Sequel: Hearts On Fire

In the Rose Garden

Heads Carolina, Tails California

Addison fidgeted with her bracelets as she waited for the journalist and photographer. She was nervous about her life being put out there again to be judged. She was also nervous about the person doing the story. It was one of the same girls who ousted her relationship with Joe Jonas. Michelle "Mashi" Wayne. From her understanding, Jenna and Mashi had split up and went their separate ways. Jenna was now a writer for Alternative Press Magazine and Mashi decided to stay local and work for Rising Stars Magazine which focuses on local music. With encouragement from Shane and Michael, Addison agreed to allow Mashi to do a story on her under the condition she keeps Addison's personal life out of it. After a ten minute wait, Mashi and her camera guy finally showed up.

"I'm so sorry we're late! Camera problems," Mashi said and pointed to Craig, her photographer.

"It's all good," Addison responded, making the decision to not let it bother her. Her personal life was already in the shitter, no reason to put her professional life there as well.

"So basically, this is what will happen," Mashi laid out the plans for her. "But otherwise, just act like we're not here."

"Okay, sounds good," Addison responded and nodded her head.

"So we'll just begin with a basic interview and Craig will snap a few photos and then we'll move on. Like I said, sometimes it'll be like we're not even here."

"Okay. Let's do this."

Before starting the interview, Mashi took a shot at it. "How's Joe?"

"Joe's doing great but that's not why we're here. Let's focus on SMACKSongs. Please."

"Okay. Sorry," Mashi quietly apologized. She then went straight to the interview.

* * *

Addison walked into her house and set her bag down. She turned on her laptop and opened up Skype.

"So, Shane McAnally and I usually Skype a few times a week, just to keep in touch and to let him know what songs I've been working on."

"Would it be all right if I asked Mr. McAnally a couple questions about you?"

"That would be up to him but I wouldn't mind." Addison shrugged her shoulders as she put the video call through. Shane's face appeared on the screen. "Hey Shane! So I have Mashi here from Rising Stars Magazine. She wanted to know if she could ask you a couple questions."

"Yeah, that'd be fine but let's get our usual out of the way first."

Addison and Shane had their meeting which consisted of just catching up and Addison letting him know about the latest songs she's written and how her performances were going. Then he allowed Mashi to ask her questions.

"Hello Mr. McAnally. I'm Mashi with Rising Stars Magazine. So, the process of 'discovering' Addison and signing her to a contract happened pretty fast. Usually people live in Nashville for years before something like this happens. What makes Addison so different?"

"When I heard her songs at the Bluebird Cafe, I just knew. If she had the right team behind her, she could be a hit song writer. She's definitely got some hits that are just waiting for the right artist to cut them."

"You and your company, SMACKSongs, are based in Nashville. Addison lives in California. Does that make a working relationship harder than usual?"

"It has its downsides. I can't just call her up and have her meet with the rest of us for a writing session or anything like that."

"Have you talked to her about moving to Nashville?"

"Um, right now she's still fairly young so I'm not sure she's ready to move away from her family."

Addison added in, "It's definitely on the table though."

"Nashville would be honored if you moved down here," Shane said. "Well ladies, it was nice talking to you both. I must get going. Addison, I'll talk to you in a few days."

Everyone said their goodbyes and Addison shut her laptop. She looked at her watch and saw that she still had at least two hours before her gig. She texted Lily to come over and then opened her notebook again to the latest song she was working on. Twenty minutes later, she not only got Lily but Joe as well. Joe tried to keep his affection at a minimum towards his ex-girlfriend. Even though they were no longer together, they still loved each other. Joe was still staying with her at her house. Joe took her hand and pulled her into the bedroom. He locked the door behind her.

"Joe, we can't."

"I know. I just really miss you. After your show, we're talking about us whether you like it or not," he said and kissed her.

When he pulled away, she nodded her head. "Okay," she whispered.

"Okay," he said. He pushed off the door and waited until she moved to open the door. He held her hand as they walked back into the living room. Addison hung out with her two best friends until it was time to go.

* * *

"I'll give you a call when everything goes to press," Mashi told Addison. Craig had already packed up his camera and was waiting on her.

"Sounds good," Addison replied, relieved to be finally free from the questions and constant photos. Mashi said goodbye and joined Craig at her car and left. Joe took Addison's guitar and put it in the car while Addison and Lily hugged and said goodnight.

*

Addison and Joe finally got back to her place. Joe closely watched her as she went through her usual nighttime routine.

"Addison..."

"Huh?"

"Can you come over here so we can talk?"

Addison looked up at him. "Can we talk tomorrow?"

"I'd rather we did this now and got it out of the way."

"Since when did you become so bossy?"

"Since when do you always run at the thought of me leaving? Oh wait, you've always done that."

"Seriously Joe?" she raged at him. "Are you fucking kidding me with that shit?"

Joe shrugged his shoulders. "I'm just calling it like I see it."

"Fuck you, Joe." She walked away from him. He followed her to the bedroom where he pinned her against the door once it was shut. "Joe, what are you doing?"

"Just don't fight me, Addison, okay?"

She pushed Joe away from her but lingered where she was. "Joe!"

Joe came right back to her and kissed her. This time she didn't push him away.

* * *

Joe woke up and slowly stretched out underneath the blankets. He looked next to him to see that Addison wasn't there. He rolled back onto his side and fell asleep for ten more minutes. Then after putting his boxers on and using the bathroom, he went out into the living room where Addison was sitting on the floor with her guitar. He didn't even have to wonder what this song was going to be about. He kissed her before going into the kitchen and getting a cup of coffee. He sat on the couch and listened to her play for a couple minutes. Then she stopped.

"Joe, I'm not sure going into a relationship again would be such a good idea," Addison spoke up.

"Why not?"

"Um... I've been thinking about moving to Nashville."

"Why would you do that? Everything you need is here."

"Because Smack is there. That's my job now and I have a contract to uphold. You out of everyone should know about location mattering in reference to a job."

"Okay but-"

"I love you, I really do but it's something I think I need to do. I need to figure out where I'm meant to be. I know you wouldn't want to live down there. We both know it actually." She shook her head.

"Addison, I love you. I love you so much and I'm not going to stop fighting for us, even if you move to Nashville."

Addison shrugged her shoulders. "That's your decision."

* * * * *

2014

Lily walked into the living room of the Nashville house Addison rented through Airbnb. She did a little spin in the grey and white ribbed skater dress paired with black booties.

"So, what do you think?"

"Beautiful. You look cute," Addison complimented her best friend.

"As do you," Lily said in reference to Addison's blue print wrap dress.

"Thank you." Addison curtsied.

Mr. Turner walked into the living room in his black suit and tie.

"You look very dapper," Lily said.

"Thank you. I picked it all out myself," Katie said as she stepped beside her husband.

"I don't have any doubts about that," Addison said and laughed.

"Where's Finn? We have to get going," Mr. Turner said as he checked his watch. "I can't be late to my own event."

Finn rushed out into the living room. "Right here! I'm right here! Sorry!"

"All right, if we're all ready then let's get going." Mr. Turner ushered everyone out of the house. They loaded up into the rental SUV and headed to the venue where a small party was being held in Mr. Turner's honor as a record producer.

Mr. Turner entered the venue behind his family and was a little overwhelmed by all the people who showed up. He never realized he held such a standing in the music community. Someone stopped them and asked to get pictures of just Addison and Mr. Turner together. They heard someone refer to them as the elite father/daughter music duo.

"We're gonna burn this motherfucker to the ground," Addison quietly said to her father and smiled at the camera. Unable to stop himself, he did a double take at his 24 year old daughter and laughed.

"Awe shit," he whispered.

"Just smile, Dad." After a couple minutes, they were able to move along. Addison broke away from the group with Lily in tow when she noticed Shane and some of the other writers from SMACKSongs. "Hey!" She hugged Shane, Michael, and the two others that were with him, Matthew Ramsey and Trevor Rosen.

"I wanted to wait to tell you this but I'm too excited for you. Carrie Underwood is interested in one of your songs. We'll talk later though," Shane said.

"Wait. How are you gonna say that and then be like 'We'll talk later'?"

"We're here for your dad. We'll talk later." He waved the subject away.

Lily piped up. "You mean THE Carrie Underwood?"

"There's only one Carrie Underwood," Addison replied.

"Well yeah but it's Carrie Underwood..."

"I seriously love you, Lily. I really do."

"Somebody has to."

*

After speeches, giving credits and a dash of embarrassing Addison, everyone was left to their own devices. Addison knew she wasn't going to be getting near her father any time soon judging by the big group of people around him. Addison noticed Lily slowly angled her body towards her in a robotic movement.

"You know, that guy over there has been staring at you since we got here," Lily informed her as she watched the guy who was chatting with Addison's co-workers.

"Chase Rice, yep. Can't say I haven't been looking either." Addison was about to look.

"Don't look! He's looking! If you look then he'll know we were talking about him."

"Talking about who?" Finn asked as he walked over to them.

"Uh... no one?" Lily responded. She and Finn made a face at each other.

"Have you two ever thought of dating?" Addison pointed between them.

"Gross. That'd be like dating the weird you," Lily said.

"Thanks," Addison replied. She took a drink from her glass and then handed it to Lily. "I'm going in." She started to walk away.

"Get it girl!" Lily shouted behind her.

"Get what? What's she going to get and from where?" Finn asked.

"Don't worry about it."

Addison knew that from where she was standing she had a clear shot to the bar but instead she took the long complicated way. The long complicated way consisted of weaving in and out of people and walking past her SMACK group. She tried to make good timing with having to constantly stop because people wanted to talk to her. Finally free, she kept going. She glanced at Chase Rice as she passed.

Chase Rice watched as Addison Turner handed her friend her drink and walked away. She made her way through the crowd and glanced at him as she passed. Once she was standing at the bar, she glanced back at him again.

"Hey, I'll talk to you guys later," Chase said. He handed Matthew Ramsay his beer, flipped his snapback backwards, and took off for the bar.

"I'm gonna call it right now," Michael said and lightly hit Shane on his arm.

"Call what?" Trevor Rosen asked.

"Chase and Addison. They've been making eyes at each other all night."

"I don't know but I guess we'll see," Shane said.

"Why did he hand me his drink?" Matthew asked no one in particular.

Addison took a seat at the bar as Chase walked up next to her.

"Is this seat taken?" Chase asked.

"I was saving it for you."

"Oh, really?"

"Yes, really but you obviously needed some help in making the first move."

Chase just laughed. "Eh, you know how it can be sometimes. Sometimes you're not sure and do need a little help."

They tried to carry a conversation but had little luck in doing so with all the noise. Chase slid off of the stool and motioned for her to follow him. He offered her his hand as she stood up. She cautiously followed him outside.

"Chase..."

"Addison… We're just going to the corner diner."

"Oh okay. I mean, you could have been a serial killer for all I know."

"Wouldn't that be some shit?" he said and laughed. They stepped into Jerry's Diner and were seated in a corner booth. Now since they could actually hear one another, the conversation came easy. They talked about anything and everything. Addison told Chase about her life, everything from her childhood to her music career to her mother's worsening cancer. She left out all the dad drama though. Chase told her everything as well, everything from his father's cancer and passing to his interesting life journeys such as being on the television show Survivor. He asked her if she's seen the show.

"No, I haven't. Sorry. Shows like that aren't really my thing. My best friend, Kevin and his wife had a show for almost a year and no thank you. I avoided that like the plague. I was like I just want to write my music and live my life away from even more cameras. Thanks anyway."

"I can understand that."

Just then, Addison's phone started to vibrate on the table. She and Chase looked at it as a picture of her and Joe with Winston popped up. She sent the call to voicemail and apologized as she turned it face down. He noticed all of the goose bumps on her arms and then she tucked her arms into herself. He slid out of the booth and took off the black hoodie he had on and handed it to her.

"Thanks," she said quietly as she put it on. Chase put his arm around her and she moved closer to him. They both felt that this was right, that this was how it should be. Addison's phone vibrated again except this time it was a text.

"You are really popular tonight," he said.

"Ugh," was her response. She left her phone where it was though. Chase laughed and used the opportunity to pull Addison even closer. He felt like she was never close enough.

"Chase Rice..."

"Yeah well, you know..."

"I know, trust me."

After a couple minutes, he slipped his arm from around her as she checked the time on her phone.

"Shit, it's already 9:30."

"We should probably start heading back then," Chase suggested. "But first, you gotta put your number in my phone."

"What if I don't want to?"

"I'll just get it from Shane McAnally then."

"He wouldn't give it to you."

"I think so. I mean, you're a songwriter and I need some help writing songs..."

"You don't need help writing songs."

"How do you know?"

"You co-wrote "Cruise" for God's sake!"

Chase laughed. "Okay you got me."

"I'm just fucking with you." They traded phones. Addison watched as Chase took a selfie on her phone. "Oh my god," she mumbled.

"I heard that."

They handed each other back their phones and slid out of the booth. Just as they were about to walk out, Mr. Turner walked in.

"Addison, we were looking for you."

"Sorry, it was my fault," Chase said.

"Dad, this is Chase Rice. Chase, this is my dad, Ted Turner, audio engineer slash bad ass producer extraordinaire," Addison said. "Oh, and he's also the best dad I've ever had."

"I'm the only dad you've ever had," he said as shook Chase's hand. The three of them walked back to the venue where the SUV was waiting on the street. Mr. Turner climbed into the driver's seat.

"So in a few weeks, I have a couple shows in California, I'll call you when I get there." Chase opened the car door for her. She nodded her head and was about to get into the car when she stopped.

"Chase… your jacket." She started to take it off but he stopped her.

"You can hold onto it for me," he said.

"I can't do that. Are you sure?"

"I'm positive. I'll get it back when I get to California."

Addison nodded her head. "Okay." The two hugged.

"I'll call you tomorrow," Chase told her. He started to walk away when Addison called his name. He turned back around as she closed the gap between them. She put her hand on the back of his neck and brought him down to her level and kissed him. He wrapped his arms around her lower back.

"I'm sorry," she said when she pulled away. "No, I'm not actually." Chase laughed. "But you can give that back when you get to Cali." She gently touched his dog tags and chest before backing away. "Goodnight, Chase Rice."

* * * * *

Joe Jonas felt like something had changed within Addison since her last trip to Nashville. She frequently took trips to Nashville for her songwriting but something was different this time. She was just different. Nick didn't seem to notice any difference except that she was happier than usual. Other than that, he didn't tell Joe anything else. Nick and Addison were best friends so Joe could understand Nick's need to keep her secrets. Joe didn't know but Nick knew all about Chase Rice and as much as he loved his brother, he was all for Addison being happy even if it were with another guy.

Addison walked into Lily's apartment and glanced at Joe and Greg. After a lengthy engagement, Lily and Greg had mutually decided to end their relationship and go their separate ways. Greg was in the process of moving out and Joe was helping him.

"So Chase had John leave us some passes at the front desk for tonight's show," Addison told Lily.

"Us?"

"Yes, us. Chase said you could come too."

"Aww, your boyfriend is so sweet."

"He's not my boyfriend."

"Yet."

"Bitch, go get some clothes!" Lily laughed and walked away. Addison sat on the couch and kept to herself. She could feel Joe staring at her so she decided to stare back at him.

"Okay guys, really, this is just awkward," Greg said after a moment. "Stop it."

"For real. Addison, let's go," Lily said, standing by the door. Addison followed her out of the apartment.

"We need to go to that show tonight," Joe told Greg.

"No, we don't."

"Oh we're going."

* * *

The girls followed John Lessard, Chase's tour manager, outside to where the buses were. They walked onto one bus and John put his arms out.

"Chase look who I found!"

Everyone watched as Chase's face brightened and he got up to hug Addison. "Hey Addison!"

"I can't believe you're finally here!"

Just as she was pulling away, Chase whispered, "I'm giving it back." She understood and he went in for the kiss. It lasted long enough that his band members started cheering. Chase introduced her to his band and she did the same for Lily.

"So this is your new girlfriend?" Marcello, his bassist, asked.

"She's not my girlfriend, yet."

"I told Addison the same thing earlier today!" Lily exclaimed as she smacked Addison on her arm.

"Jerk," Addison muttered, rubbing her arm.

"Okay," John said and clapped his hands. "We've got a show to put on." He checked his watch. Everyone filed off the bus.

Joe and Greg made their way through the crowd. Some people were pointing at them and whispering. Obviously they were being recognized. They stopped when they felt they were going to get as close to the stage as possible. The stage went dark and Chase Rice's band started to play. Then Chase Rice bounced out from the side of stage and started singing.

Halfway through the show, Chase glanced over at Addison and then spoke to the crowd. "Now, usually for this part of the show I pull a girl from the audience. Tonight, I'm doing it a little different. Addison, can you please come join me out here?" Addison shook her head but Lily shoved her out there. He told her to have a seat next to him on a stool. "Normally I say we're gonna role play but not this time. Addison, this is what's going to happen tonight." The crowd cheered as he started singing his song, "Ride" again. Addison hardcore blushed the entire time making Chase laugh every time he looked at her. "Trust me, it's gonna happen," he whispered when he finished and before he let her go.

"Probably," she said and started to walk away.

"Addison!" he shouted and grabbed her by her arm. She turned around and he pulled her back to him, pressing their bodies together. He kissed her. The crowd got even louder. In the crowd, Joe tapped Greg's arm and motioned that they could leave. Joe didn't want to see anymore. Addison pulled away and buried her face in Chase's chest as he laughed. She hid her face with her hand.

"Oh my god, Chase Rice," she said as she backed away. She went back to Lily and Chase continued with his show.

* * *

Chase followed Addison into her house. She tossed her keys into a bowl by the front door on a small table while Lily picked up her keys.

"I'll see you guys later. Addison, don't get pregnant."

"You're very funny, Lily." Addison shook her fist at her best friend and locked the door behind her. "I'll show you to the room so you can put your stuff in there." After that, they headed to the kitchen where Addison pulled out a bottle of Jack Daniels that she bought solely with the hopes that Chase would be with her at the end of the night. Chase knew that was the case when she tried to hide her face when she took a drink of Jack from her cup. He hid his smirk and decided to keep it to himself and not embarrass her. After a short discussion, Addison ordered pizza from a local pizzeria that was open until early morning. She grabbed the bottle of Jack and they went and sat in the living room. Before sitting down, he looked around for a minute.

"You have a nice house."

"Thank you. Rascal Flatts and Nick Jonas helped pay for it. I should really send them all thank you notes."

Chase looked around at the various framed pictures on the fireplace mantel and walls. There were pictures from her dad and step-mother's wedding to her with various friends (Lily, Jonas Brothers, etc) to family pictures. He zeroed in on a picture of her and Joe. He knew all about her relationship with Joe. It was an on-again off-again relationship that Chase was determined to put an end to.

The pizza finally arrived and they settled on the hardwood living room floor instead of at the dining room table.

"I'm counting this as a date," Chase told her, setting his pizza down.

Addison replied, "Really now?"

Chase nodded his head. "Yep, really." Addison gave him the thumbs up and he laughed. "Damn, you're cute."

"I can be sometimes."

Once they were done eating, Addison put the leftover pizza in the refrigerator. She stood with her hands on the counter for a moment. The man she was falling in love with was just in the other room waiting for her. To say she was nervous would be an understatement. Besides Drake Bell, Joe was all she knew. She quietly inhaled deeply and let it out and shut off the kitchen light as she made her way back to the living room. Chase had moved to the couch so she sat next to him. He motioned for her to move closer and she did. He put his arm around her and quickly kissed her. They sat together on the couch and started to talk. It didn't take Chase very long to make another move. He leaned over and kissed her as she put her hands on both sides of his face. She didn't want to let him go but she felt him pulling away. He took her hand and they went to her room where they fell into her bed.

Chase propped himself up on his forearms and looked at her. "Addison, are you sure you want to do this?"

"I'm sure," she said as she pulled his shirt over his head and dropped it on the floor. She started to fumble with the button and zipper on his jeans.

"Are you sure you're not drunk?" he asked skeptically.

"Not now, Chase!" He laughed and she gave up for the time being. "And no, I'm not drunk. It's you," she said as she pushed him off of her. She then pushed him into his back. "You make me the right kind of nervous." She finally got his pants undone. "Boom! That's what's up!" She flung his jeans across the room.

Chase sat up. "Now since that's taken care of." He pushed her hair out of her face and pressed his forehead to hers. "You are something else."

"Hey, I can't be everyone's shot of whiskey."

He laughed. "No, no you can't but you're mine and that's good enough for me."

"Yours is all I wanna be."

"Good," he whispered as he pulled her shirt off.

In the morning, Addison woke up tangled in the sheets. It took her a moment to realize the guy sleeping next to her was Chase and not Joe. The events from the night before came rushing back to her as she slowly started to inch away but Chase wrapped both arms around her and snuggled her.

"Where do you think you're going?" he murmured into her neck.

She turned to him. "Um... nowhere?"

He gave her a long slow kiss. "Damn. You're beautiful and smart. I hit the jackpot with this one."

"You're not too shabby yourself."

"Oh thanks!"

Addison laughed and kissed him. They kept kissing until Chase's phone started to ring. It was his tour manager so he picked it up. John was just reminding him that he had the radio interview and performance in a few hours.

"Do you have to leave me now?"

"We got time. You can always just come with me. I mean, after yesterday's show, you'll probably be one topic anyway."

"Okay but let's go back to making out."

* * *

"I can't believe he did that," Lily said as Addison unlocked her front door. Despite what Joe did and said, the girls still managed to have fun at Chase's second California show. "What are you going to do?"

"I have no idea." Addison dropped her bag on the floor and looked at Lily.

"I'm really sorry," Lily said as she wrapped her arms around her best friend. "Joe's a douchebag."

Earlier that day, Addison and Chase were getting ready to go to the radio station. Chase had told John he would just meet him and the band there. Just as Joe was about to put his key in the door, Addison opened the door. Joe had asked if they could talk and she said it wasn't a good time. He quickly put two and two together when he noticed she was keeping the door closed and he remembered what Chase had told everyone the night before at his show.

"He's in there, isn't he?"

"That's none of your business."

In a stern voice, he said, "Addison-did you sleep with him?"

"That's none of your goddamn business! Now get out of my face!"

Joe stepped closer to the door. "How about this, you need to make a decision. Either him or me."


Lily ripped two pieces of paper out of Addison's notebook. She folded them both hot dog style and then wrote "Joe" on one and "Chase" on the other. She told Addison to come sit next to her on the floor at the coffee table. Addison sat.

"We're gonna go old school with this. Pros and cons, here." She slid "Joe's" paper over. "Write the pros of being with him."

Addison did.

"Now do the same for Chase."

Addison did his as well.

"Now do the cons for Joe."

Addison thought for a moment and wrote one thing down. She then stood up and walked over to the door. She pulled her cell phone out of her bag and made a call.

"Hello?

"It's you. It's always going to be you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh oh! Who do you think she picked?

Here is Chase Rice. Spotify. Youtube. 2nd YouTube.

For the party, Addison had on this dress while Lily had onthis one.

So this chapter was super long because, well, the next chapter will be the last chapter.

Mashi, you'll be okay. We'll get through this. Haha.

Title credit: Jo Dee Messina - Heads Carolina, Tails California.