Sequel: Hearts On Fire

In the Rose Garden

Because of You I'm Saving My Love

Mr. Turner and John Fields were quietly going over the schedule they had set up earlier in the day when the boys finally arrived. John and the boys all exchanged hugs and hellos.

"This is Ted Turner, the audio engineer," John motioned to Mr. Turner.

Mr. Turner shook hands with the boys and Mr. Jonas and was just about to turn away when Joe spoke up.

"Turner… do you know someone named Addison? She's nineteen, blonde hair, green eyes, between five eight and five ten." Everyone listened to Joe describe her as if he were looking at a picture.

"Yeah, she's my daughter," Mr. Turner said and nodded his head.

"Oh, I know her. She's one of my best friends," Joe explained after noticing the alarmed look in the older man's eyes.

Just then Frankie covered his mouth, coughed and said "Loser" at the same time. Joe flicked him in the back of his nine year old head.

"Oh! So you're the boy she's always talking about? Okay. Well it's nice to finally meet you, Joe," he said and then realized that he said a little too much. Addison would kill him if she ever found out what he said.

The more Joe looked at Addison's father, the more obvious it became that he was the one who gave Addison her looks.

After going over what songs would be covered during this session, the boys finally got down to business and started recording the new album. They would spend the next eight hours working on the album before talking about a schedule for the next day. As John was talking to the boys, Mr. Turner's phone started to vibrate in his pocket. He pulled it out and saw that it was his daughter.

"Sorry but I have to take this. It's my daughter," he quietly said and walked to the other side of the room. He knew it must have been an emergency since she knew not to call when he was at work. He didn't have the type of job where you could call and just chit chat with him for a few minutes. When he answered the phone, he instantly went on high alert when he heard shouting on the other end of the phone. "Addison, is everything okay?" He couldn't exactly make out what she was saying because she was crying and screaming at her mother.

"Hey, I have to go. There's an emergency with my daughter. I should only be ten, fifteen minutes," Mr. Turner quietly told John.

John Fields nodded his head. "Okay, go. We'll still be here."

They watched as Mr. Turner made sure he had his keys and then rush out of there. Without thinking about it, Joe ran out after him. They got to the lobby and Mr. Turner finally stopped. "Look, I don't know what kind of situation is going on so I don't want to get you in the middle of that. I'll have Addison call you later."

"Okay," Joe quietly said. He had no problem wearing the worried look when he really was.

"Joe, I'm sure she's fine and everything's just being blown out of proportion," Mr. Turner responded and tried to be reassuring. "But I have to get going now."

Joe just nodded his head and Mr. Turner walked out. He sighed and turned around to go back into the studio.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Mr. Turner parked by the curb and ran into his ex-wife's house. He saw that Addison's mother had her by the arm and Addison was blocking her attempted hits and screaming at her to stop. He went over and pulled Addison away.

"Addison, go sit in my car," he told his daughter and then turned back to Mrs. Turner. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Fuck you, Ted! That little bitch needs to be taught a lesson and she's never going to learn if you don't stop getting in the way." She yanked her arm out of his grip and picked up her pack of cigarettes off the table. She pulled one out and lit it.

"She doesn't need to learn anything from you," he responded and backed away from her. "She's going to be with me for the next few days until you sober up."

"You better bring her back tonight or I'll call the cops."

"Go ahead. They'll take one look at her and know what you've been doing to her. She's nineteen years old. She doesn't need your permission to live where she wants." He went outside and found Addison pacing the front porch. "Go upstairs and pack some clothes. You're staying with me for a couple days. You have to be quick though because I have to go back to work."

Addison nodded her head. "Okay dad," she said and quickly hugged him. She went back inside and went straight upstairs to her room and locked the door behind her. She was back outside a few minutes later. Mr. Turner stood with his daughter at her car and took the key to his apartment off his keychain.

"Here, I should be home in a few hours," he said, handing her the key. He noticed her hand was shaking as she took the key from him. "Addison, it's okay. You're all right now." He wrapped his arms around her and rubbed her back. "It's okay."

"I know," she whispered.

"I'll see you at home." He kissed her forehead and walked back to his car. He watched as the Lexus he bought her pulled out of the driveway and head in the direction of his apartment. He sighed and headed back to work where he had to reassure Joe a million times over that Addison was okay and she would be in touch.

Addison listened from the living room as her father walked into his apartment and set his stuff down. She got up to greet him.

"Thanks for coming to help me earlier," she said.

"You're my daughter; it's my job to look out for you." He released her from their minute long hug. "You know I would never leave you in that kind of situation."

"I know," she quietly responded.

"So, I met your friends today," he said as they sat on the couch.

"What? You know all of my friends," she said.

"I had a recording session with John Fields and the Jonas Brothers today. So yeah, I met this Joe you keep talking about."

Addison blushed. "Oh…"

"He's expecting a call from you later. He was really worried about you. He tried coming with me."

"That's Joe for you."

"He's a nice kid. When can I expect him over for dinner and you introduce him as your boyfriend?"

"Dad!" she shouted and blushed again. "He has a girlfriend so it doesn't matter."

"After the way he reacted today, I think it does matter and later on down the line, it will matter. He's pretty crazy about you."

"Dad, you can't possibly know that."

"Once upon a time I was nineteen years old once."

"Yeah but-"

"And don't say anything about you. At nineteen, even with you around, I was still in love with your mother. You made me love her more than I did before. I hope you find that love one day and I think it just may be with Joe."

"Is it safe to say that I can get you a Team Joe shirt?"

"Oh ha, ha Addison! That was very funny! You darn chip off the old block."

"Yeah… I'm going to go call Joe now," she said and stood up.

"Great, he's probably freaking out."

"Shush dad," Addison said and was about to walk away.

"Addison."

"Yes?" She turned and looked at him.

"I can see myself in him."

Addison nodded her head and walked away. She shut her bedroom door behind her and sat on her bed. She dug her phone out of her bag and sent Joe a text.

Let me know if you're busy or not 'cause I'm going to call you.

A few minutes later, Joe responded with I'm just leaving a quick practice now so give me about half an hour and I'll be good.

Addison checked the time and then grabbed the novel Lost & Found by Jacqueline Sheehan and opened up to where she last left off. Instead of paying attention to the words on the pages in front of her, she found herself glancing at the time every five minutes. Time couldn't seem to pass quick enough. After thirty-five minutes, she called him.

"Hey," he said as he towel dried his hair. "Are you okay? You had me worried today with the way your dad freaked out and all…

"I'm fine. My mom like, went a little crazy today and it got to be too much to handle."

"Sorry."

"It's not your fault, Joe."

"You do remember what I told you, right? About if you need anything…"

"There really isn't anything you can do about what happened today. As much as I know you want to, there is nothing that can be done. It's something that only my dad can really deal with. I'm sorry Joe."

"Yeah, I know but I just wish there was something I could do. Put yourself in my shoes for a moment. When you hear there's an emergency concerning the person you like, you kind of go on alert and just want to save that person."

"I appreciate your concern. I really do."

Joe changed the subject. "So, when is our next get together?"

"I don't know, whenever you want it to be," Addison responded and shrugged her shoulders. "We just have to include Lily this time."

"Do we really?" Joe said in a whiny voice. "No, I'm just kidding. The more, the merrier. Maybe I could bring Garbo or Nick or someone."

"She's been complaining lately that I've been spending more time with you and not her."

"Tell her she's free to join us whenever she wants. Besides, I should probably get to know her anyway since I have a feeling that if you and I start dating then I'm going to be dating her also. Well, I shouldn't say if you and I start dating but when you and I start dating since it's going to happen."

"I like how you're so sure about that."

"I just uh… know what I want."

"Well I'm right here waiting."

"Um… uh… I…" Joe was at a loss for words.

Addison laughed. "How about tomorrow, you, me, Lily and whoever else you decide to bring?"

"I think I'll bring Garbo. He could really use a girlfriend… if Lily isn't seeing anything."

"Trust me, she's not."

"So tomorrow, how's noon?"

"Noon is good. I'll let Lily know soon enough."

"Okay, noon. See you tomorrow. Goodnight Addison."
♠ ♠ ♠
Kudos: Mashi, Tyler, Amanda, Dani, Jenna.

I felt we needed another chapter with her dad so here it is.

Title credit: Kelly Clarkson - Because of You