Titanic Was Called the Ship of Dreams, and It Was

It's not goodbye.

“Woah! It’s huge!”

Megan’s mouth gapped open very wide and very un-lady like, but she could care less as she held her worn bag with food in it in hand. She turned to her mother, who smiled warmly at her as her daughter looked back in disbelief at the large ship.

“That it is dear! –sniff- I guess this is goodbye for now, love,”

Tears welled up in Megan’s eyes as she smiled sadly at her mom, who by now had them running down her slightly dirty face. They stung at the corner of her eyes, but she had to be strong for her mom and not worry her so much. Megan outstretched her arms and wrapped her mom in a big hug, smile growing bigger as she felt her hug back, even as her vision blurred. She was excited to be going on the ship of dreams, and its maiden voyage at that, but she was also upset to be leaving her mother. Megan’s mother was sending her to live with her older brother, Andy, who had gained a bunch of money from a friend of his, to improve Megan’s living conditions and such. She sniffed, and pulled away from her sobbing mother, giving her a reassuring look.

“It’s not goodbye forever! I’ll get a job, marry some rich cute boy, and come back swimming in money! I’ll even convince Andy to come home, and we will be one big happy family, just like you dreamed about, right mom?”

Sniffing, she nodded but looked up as the horn on the ship blew, signifying get on, or go away. Megan smiled and hugged her mother once more, slightly jogging to the ships third class entrance. She looked back as she ran, frowning at leaving her mother, but still holding in her tears. Unfortunately when she lost sight of her mother in the crowd, her “grace” kicked it. She felt herself run into something, or rather someone, and fell to the ground on her back. Eyes jammed shut, she sat up glancing up to see what she ran into, ready to give them a death glare, but saw the shocked face of a first class girl, who looked around her age. She had on pure white gloves, and an elegant just past her knee’s dress that showed off her perfect body in it, with shiny white high heels to match. There were matching pearl earrings in her ears, with a pearl beaded bracelet and necklace to go with and a crystal clean face to match. Oh. Crap. Horror shone in Megan’s eyes, and she immediately began to stutter and got to her knees, in a slightly bowing position.

“I-I’m sorry madam, please forgive my foolish c-clumsiness!”

Instead of hearing the snobby yelling she expected however, she heard a light laugh with a hint of sadness in it, which confused her and made her look up. She raised an eyebrow as she saw he bent down slightly, with one hand outstretched as if to help her up. Hesitantly Megan took her hand lightly and let herself be helped up, grabbing the bag which had fallen out of her hand when she fell as she questioned the first class girls actions.

“If I may ask miss, why aren’t you yelling at me or making me pay a fee for running into you so rudely?”

“Because unlike some stuck up people on this ship, I hate being rude to people especially people I haven’t even met. I don’t stereotype second or third class, in fact I think us equals. By the way, my name is Kristen,”

“Mine is-,”

Non-belief shone in Megan’s eyes, but the ship blew another warning horn, and the girl panicked so before she could fully reply, she dashed off, waving to Kristen as she approached the boarding area. She scowled slightly, having to look up at a number of the people, but got over it as the man looked her over and asked for her ticket.

“Ticket please,”

He said in a strong British accent, and she fumbled through her bag, handing the man the ticket as he motioned for her to get on. Mumbling a thank you, she stepped on and moved out of the way, gasping at the sight.