Status: Finished

Against All Odds

The Lady and The Soldier

Arthur looked up from his book. It was not yet nine. He was awaiting a letter, and the letters were almost always delivered at nine o'clock, more or less. The letter would either make him the happiest he had ever been, or make him sadder than anyone could ever comprehend.

Arthur was not born into fortune, neither into a family of a great estate. He had grown up in a small village, in the south of Derbyshire, with very little fortune. By the age of twenty, he had enrolled into the Blankshire Regiment, and became a redcoat officer.

Whilst on duty in a small village of Canver, he had been invited to a ball by a Lord and Lady Mansfield. They were a very wealthy, old couple, who enjoyed large companies and jolly dances. And it was so that all of the officers were invited to dine and dance with Old Lord Mansfield's company.

That evening, Arthur entered the Mansfield estate, with a couple of his friends. The estate was huge, with many large finely furnished rooms. They were lead to a large ball room, which was full to the brim with gentlemen and ladies, all wearing beautiful gowns, and fine muslins. He was astounded by the beauty of many of the ladies, but his eyes found themselves drawn to a young lady stood by the master of ceremony.

Arthur had never laid eyes on one so beautiful. She was tall, with a graceful, womanly frame, and a soft, glowing complexion. Her hair was like golden rays of sunshine, which fell down to her waist in curls. Her eyes were the brightest blue, and the soft blush of her cheek gave her the look of healthiness and pleasure.

Before he knew what he was doing he had gone over to her, and bowing, asked her if she was currently engaged, and whether he could be so bold as to engage her for the next two dances.
"I thank you," The young lady said, "But it would be improper unless we are introduced."
Collecting himself, he walked over to Lord Mansfield, and asked him to introduce him to the young lady in the pink gown.
"Indeed," Lord Mansfield said, moving towards the young lady, "Mr Pendragon, may I introduce my daughter, Guenivere. Guenivere, this is Mr Arthur Pendragon, an officer in the regiment."
She bowed and looked up at Arthur, willing him to ask her to dance again.
"Miss Mansfield, may I be so bold as to ask for your hand for the next two dances?"
"Yes, I thank you," Guenivere smiled.

They danced the two dances, lively in conversation. By the end of the night, Arthur was smitten with young woman, and ask to correspond with her. She had given him permission to write to her as often as he pleased. They had been writing to each other fortnightly for the past year.

Slowly, Arthur had grown to love Guenivere passionately, more than he had ever loved in his whole life. So, determined to secure her hand in marriage, he had sent her a letter, asking her to marry him, even though he was without fortune and estate. Two weeks he had waited in agony, willing the reply to come soon, and release him from the unbearable longing her had felt for so many months.

There was a sharp knock on the door and Arthur jumped from his seat with such speed, he knocked the pile of books off of his desk as he passed. Throwing the door open, he took the letter, passed the delivery boy a shilling and rushed back to his seat. He ripped the letter open and read the words hastily.

'My dearest Arthur,
You know that I love you, from the moment i set eyes on you I have loved you dearly. It has been my deepest desire to be with you for as long as I may live, but our situation prevents it. Though my father may agree to the match, my mother is set against our union. I have told them that I love you with all my heart, and that I will love you until I die'


There was a long gap on the page, and swifly looking down, he saw a note, written in a messy scrawl at the very end.

'My darling, i can scarsely believe it! My father has consented! I told him of my feelings, and my mother sympathised, she said she would not stop me from marrying you if were in love! It shall be so! The wedding can be as soon as you wish! Make haste! I await your arrival in anticipation!
All my love,
Guenivere


Arthur's heart was overflowing with happiness, against all odds, with no consideration to their situtations, or fortunes, they had secured the right to marry.

Maybe some things do work out after all...
♠ ♠ ♠
There will be more to come! (: