Status: Finished

Against All Odds

For Better For Worse, For Richer For Poorer

It was the first day back at school and Gwen was late. It wasn't really her fault, she'd been getting her little brother ready for daycare, and getting her dad up so he could go out and try to find a job. It had been her routine for almost a year now, ever since her mother had died in an accident on her way home from work. Her father had fallen into a downward spiral, and was made redundant, so the care of her younger brother, Lance, was left to her. It had been relatively easy on the summer holidays, but as soon as school term started she knew it'd be different.

Gwen rushed into the calculus class, and sat down in her seat.
"What a great way to start the term Miss Browny."
The day started off badly, and did not get any better. At lunch, the 'proud crowd' cornered her.
"Gwen Browny. Who'd have thought you'd return to school." Lola drawled.
"Yeah, we just assumed you'd not come back, we wondered how you'd afford clothes. Have you seen this necklace? Mother got it for me, real diamonds!" This comment was followed by squeals of laughter.
Gwen did not argue, but stood and listened to them insult her.
"What, cat got your tongue?" Lola said, as her friends jeered from behind.
"Hey, Lola, how about you leave her alone?"
The crowd of girls spun to see who was insulting her, but her scowl turned into a smile when she saw Arthur Pendragon, the school jock stood behind her.
"Why, have you claimed her?" Lola laughed.
"No, don't you think you've shouted at her enough? You should have better things to do."
Lola scowled. "Don't be such a girl Arthur, it's just a game."
"Well, it ain't funny."

Lola and her clique stalked away, muttering insults and threats at Gwen as they passed.
"You alright?"
Gwen nodded, avoiding making eye contact.
"Y'sure?"
Gwen looked up and saw a pair of beautiful, bright blue eyes.
"I, er, yes, thankyou."
"I'll see you around?"
"Er, sure."
As Arthur walked away she was confused as to why he was being so nice to her. He was a richie, and she was from the wrong side of the tracks. From what she could tell, his father owned a huge company, and he was very rich, so why he was standing up for a kid with a unemployed bum of a father and a deranged younger brother. Maybe she was some joke for him. Or maybe he felt sorry for her.

His behaviour did not change. Whenever he passed her in the corridor he would acknowledge her, and would even stop to have conversations with her. They had begun having regular conversations, whether it was in the study hall, or library, or car park; that was until his friends started to notice.

Arthur was walking down the corridor when his best friend Josh and his girlfriend Lola joined him.
"So, you and the freak in the old leather jacket." Josh said.
"What are you on about? Gwen?"
"Yeah, Gwen, what d'you think you're doing?"
"What do you mean?"
"You talk with her, like she's normal, like she's one of us."
"Just because she's poor, doesn't mean she not human."
Lola laughed, "She's a mutant!"
"That's pretty sweet coming from you." Arthur spat, his temper rising.
"Hey, don't you call my bird that!" Josh shouted.
"Get off my case then!" Arthur shouted, stamping away.

Gwen smiled as she saw Arthur coming over to her. She was sat in a bench, outside the school.
"Arthur," She smiled, "How are you?"
He smiled weakly, "Fine, fine. You?"
Gwen noticed his feeble attempt at a smile. "What's wrong?"
"Nothing, just, y'know, the proud crown having a snap at me again."
She laughed, it was funny how he'd picked up her nicknames and habits.
"I'm sorry,"
"There's nothing to be sorry for."
Gwen looked up at Arthur. "Tell me this, why are you so nice to me?"
"Why?"
"Yeah, why, when all of your friends hate me?"
"Because, because I know how you feel."
This puzzled Gwen. "You know how I feel? You've been poor?"
"No, no, I mean, I know what it's like to loose a parent."
There was a awkward pause.
"I'm sorry," Gwen said.
"It's fine, it was a long time ago."
They sat and talked until it turned dark.

"I should be getting home." Gwen said, glancing at her watch.
"Do you want a ride?"
"Yes, thanks."
They climbed into his car and he turned the radio down slightly, so they could talk easily.
A few minutes later, they pulled up outside her house.
"Well, thankyou." Gwen smiled at Arthur.
"Goodnight." and before Gwen could reply, he leaned down and kissed her.

25 Years Later
"ARTHUR!"
Arthur rushed down the stairs, tripping on a toy car on his way down.
"Yes dear?" Arthur said, kissing his wife on the cheek.
"Morgan and Louise are home," She said smiling.
Arthur bent down and kissed the two toddlers on the head.
"Daddy!" Louise cried, reaching up for her father.
"Mama!" Morgan called, as her mother lifted her into her arms.
Arthur scooped Louise up and set her down in the living room, and put on the teletubbies. Louise squealed in delight and turned her attention to the television. Morgan squirmed in her mothers arms, and once released, ran and joined her sister.

Arthur grabbed his wife by the waist and kissed her. Pulling a box out of his pocket, he passed it to her.
"Happy Anniversary Gwen."
She opened the box to see a shiny, diamond necklace.
"You remembered!" She said.
"Of course I did, I will always love you, for better for worse,"
"For richer for poorer."
They both laughed, and joined their children on the sofa.
Twenty Five years together, against all odds.
♠ ♠ ♠
And that is my final installment!
Hope you enjoyed it! :D