I'm Not Sticking Around to Watch You Go Down

Wanna Be Your Lover, Not Your ***ing Mother

"Gabe, come on it's just a few more steps," I begged my wasted boyfriend.

"I don't wanna," he drunkenly whined.

"Please, honey," I said trying to drag him to the front door.

With one of his arms around my shoulder and one around his waist I tried pulling him, but it wasn't working.

"Fine," he sighed as he attempted to walk. I kept him steady as best I could until we got to the living room couch.

This was a typical thing. Gabe and I would go to parties and he would get drunk and I would take care of him.

"Why do I have to sleep on the couch?" He slurred.

I looked up from taking his shoes off.
"Because that's the rule. You kick too much when you're drunk," I reminded him.

"I love you, Annie babe," he cooed as he pulled me into him and squeezed me lovingly.

"Yeah? Try saying it when you're sober and maybe I'll believe you," I snapped.

He didn't notice, he just laid back and passed out. I pulled his feet onto the couch and placed a blanket on him.

I knelt down to his face and tears sprung into my eyes.

"Why do you do this to yourself?" I whispered.

I bit my lip, gave him a kiss on the cheek and went to bed.

The next day I walked into the living room to find Gabe sprawled out on the couch still asleep.

"Gabe," I said quietly while shaking him.

He groaned and rolled over.

"Gabriel, you need to wake up,"

"Why?" He asked.

"Because it's almost two in the afternoon,"

"Fine," he mumbled as he sat up. I was about to walk into the kitchen when he grabbed my wrist and pulled me back.

"No good morning kiss?" He asked with a grin.

"No, because it's not morning," I said pulling my wrist away from his grasp.

"What the fuck is your problem?" He said as he stood up and followed me into the kitchen.

"You know what my problem is," I answered.

"Oh my god. So I party, what's the big deal?" He asked.

"You get fucking wasted every night and I'm the one who has to take care of you! It's like I'm your mom, not your girlfriend,"

"Annie, you know I...really care about you,"

"I really care about you, too and I'd like to go out and do something with you like we used to,"

"Oh come on! We go out all the time," he argued.

"Going to a party isn't the same thing as going on a date. Do you even remember when the last time we had sex was?" I asked.

He didn't say anything.

"Yeah, because the last time we started you passed out because you were so drunk!" I shouted.

"Keep your voice down!" He said holding his head.

"Fine," I choked out in a whisper. "I'm done, Gabe,"

"What are you talking about?"

"I can't watch you do this to yourself anymore. You either get help or I'm gone,"

"I don't need help! I don't have a fucking problem!"

"Yes you do. What's it going to be, me or alcohol?" I asked with tears flowing down my face. I knew what his choice would be.

"I don't have a problem so I don't need to choose!"

"You just did," I said brushing past him.

I walked to our bedroom gathered my things and walked to the door.

"Don't do this, Annie," he pleaded.

"If you promise me you'll get help then I won't,"

He just looked down and I knew what I had to do.

"Goodbye, Gabe. I love you," I said for the first time in the four months we'd been dating.

"Annie, please,"

I just shook my head and walked out the door.

That was one year ago.

I started working at a coffee shop on the other end of town and hadn't spoken to him since.

I saw his friends all the time, though. They would come in and invite me to parties or shows. I never went though. Just the thought of seeing Gabe was too painful. I missed him more than I'd ever missed anyone or anything in my entire life.

It was closing time and I had just flipped the sign on the door. I walked into the back to start cleaning the machines when I heard the bell on the door ring.

"Sorry, we're-" I couldn't finish my sentence. Standing at the door was the one and only Gabriel Saporta.

"Hey Annie," he said quietly.

"Gabe?"

"Yeah, I just...had to talk to you," he said taking a seat at the counter.

"Do you want some coffee or something?" I asked slowly, still in shock.

"Sure, could you get me a decaf?" He asked.

I nodded and poured the last of the coffee into a cup for him. He thanked me and took a sip.

"So, why did you come here?" I asked.

"I needed to thank you,"

"For what?" I asked.

"Do you know what today is?" He asked me.

"The day I left you," I answered quietly.

"Today I've been one year sober," he told me.

"Really?" I asked with a huge grin.

"Yeah," he nodded.

"Oh Gabe that's great," I gushed as I ran over and hugged him tightly.

"I couldn't have done it without you,"

"What do you mean?" I asked as I pulled away.

"After you left I went to the fridge to get a beer and I realized that I just let the most important thing in my life go for alcohol,"

"Gabe-"

"Wait, there's more. I know I never said it, or at least said it sober but I love you. I love you so much and this year I've gone without you has been horrible. I wanted to see you so bad, but I knew I had to make sure I was better before I came back into your life, and I am. I changed for you. So, Annie will you please take me back?"

"Absolutely, Gabe," I said before giving him a passionate kiss. "I love you,"

"I love you, too. You saved me,"

"You saved yourself. I just gave you motivation,"

"Let's go back to my apartment and you can give me some motivation to quit smoking," he suggested as he wiggled his eyebrow.

"You won't fall asleep?" I asked.

"Never again, sweetheart,"