Status: slow

Slaughter of the Next Degree

U

"What do you mean he is missing mommy?" asked Cassidy innocently. Mrs. Shore looked at her daughter's scared face.

"Do you remember that little boy on the news? Kyron? Billy is missing like him. No one knows hwere Billy is."

Cassidy looks at her mother with confusion all over her face. "He was at school today though. We walked together and raced there. Then we were going to race to the front doors on the way back." Mrs. Shore broke down crying again. "Mommy, don't cry! Billy is ok. He is just hiding from us. Maybe he wants us to find him, like hide-and-seek. That is his favorite game you know," explained Cassidy grabbing her mom into a hug.

"He does want us to find him Cassidy. I am sure of it. I am just not sure he is hiding the way you think of it. Someone bad might have taken him honey. Do you remember that dad talking about the little girl they found... dead on the news a while ago?" asked Mrs. Shore, choking on the word dead.

Cassidy looked up trying to remember. "Yeah, Daddy said it was the little girl's mom though. But billy's mom didn't take Billy otherwise he would be home." Mrs. Shore got up from where she was kneeling down talking to Cassidy and said, "We will talk about this later Cassidy. I am just really tired. You should go to bed too." Then she walked out of the room.

****************************************************************************************************

Detective Crull was questioning people around Billy Collins neighborhood. With Billy only being a little second grader, there would probably be no motive to take him. With a secure family life at home with his mom an dad, it isn't likely a family member kidnapped him. But since he was taken at school, it had to be by someone he trusted. I just hope we find him alive soon, thought Crull, to himself.

"Hey Crull! Do you want us to go and talk to the Shore's? Cassidy Shore was Billy Collins best friend," said one of the other officer's.

"No, I think they are going through enough. Besides it is getting late and I am sure that Mr and Mrs. Shore would not appreciate our comapny at this hour," replied Crull. He was still going through his mind at possible suspects but everyone he thought of were respected people of the community. With a town you can't even see on any map, you would think someone would have seen someone take Billy or someone with him.

Detective Crull ordered everyone to leave the premises. It was time to go home and get some sleep so they could continue the investigation tomorrow. As he was getting into his car, he didn't notice the one person who stayed behind.

****************************************************************************************************

The next day, Mrs. Shore dropped Cassidy off at school. "Why did you take me to school? I walk everyday," said Cassidy.

Mrs. Shore just looked at Cassidy for a moment before replying, "Who ever tooke Billy might want to get you. You were his best friend and in getting Billy, they might think they can get you too. I am not going to let that happen though. Now you get inside before you are late."

Cassidy nodded and got out of the car. She walked into her classroom just as the bell rang. Mrs. Williams walked in the door with a tearstained face.

"Umm... Boys and girls I am sure all of you have heard what has happened to your classmate, Billy Collins. Yesterday at around this time, Billy disappeared so the school is going to be taking extra precautions to make sure that no one else disappears. So from now on, Mr. Case and I will be teaching together and escorting you everywhere," she said, her voice cracking.

Cassidy looked at her teacher and it hit her. She might never see Billy, her best friend, ever again. She broke down crying in front of everyone.
♠ ♠ ♠
How is it?