Status: finishhhhhhh!

Sinful.

Twenty-eighth.

It’s not like things go right back to being alright between Arthur and Eames after they begin speaking again, but it’s getting there. Things are still kind of awkward sometimes and Arthur often closes off at any mention of sentimentality, though it’s getting better, and they fight practically every other day over the silliest things, but Eames is quite sure that’s just because he’s been loitering around Arthur’s apartment more than he used to.

There’s this one Saturday morning when Eames is over at Arthur’s apartment and they’re eating breakfast and Arthur is reading the newspaper and James is snoozing on the armchair by the window and they’re talking about something trivial, and Arthur says casually over the top of the business section, “You could just move in.”

He’s not exactly inviting Eames to do so, because Arthur never says those sorts of things directly, but it’s close enough. Eames smirks a little.

“I could,” he agrees. “It’s not like I’d have a whole lot to move if I decided to.”

“Winter break is coming up,” Arthur says, turning a page in his newspaper. “It’d be a perfect time to move.”

Eames hums thoughtfully. “So it would,” he says.

He watches Arthur for a moment, at how Arthur’s eyes flick back and forth rapidly as he reads an article. After a moment, Arthur glances up, noticing Eames’ stare, and he arches an eyebrow in question. Eames smiles and considers asking Arthur why he won’t just straight up ask Eames if Eames would like to move in, because it’s obvious Arthur wants him to, but then Eames decides against it and simply plucks the newspaper out of Arthur’s hands, placing it down on the counter so he can lean over and kiss him. Arthur draws away and scrunches up his nose.

“Ugh, don’t,” he mutters. “I haven’t even brushed my teeth yet.”

Eames laughs and drops a kiss on Arthur’s forehead before announcing that he’s going to take a shower. Arthur picks up his newspaper and continues reading. A few minutes later, he sets the paper down again and goes to join Eames.

-

Eames moves in a couple weeks later.

-

When Ariadne finds out that Eames has moved in with Arthur, her reaction is considerably less than graceful but endearing all the same. The first thing she does is squeal, and then she shouts at Eames and threatens to beat him to a pulp for not telling her sooner even though said beating will never realistically happen even in a million years because she’s so small compared to Eames, and then she proceeds to make dirty jokes at Eames for a while until she gets bored of that too. And then she tells him in all seriousness that she’s really very happy for him and that she’s really glad they’ve managed to work things out.

She finds out while Eames is trying to invite her to a small New Year’s party he and Arthur are hosting the following week. Mal and Dom will be there, and Ariadne’s bringing her new boyfriend Robbie Fischer (though not so much because she actually wants to because she’s worried it’s going to be too awkward to bring him, but more so because Eames is planning on intimidating the fuck out of him to make sure he doesn’t try to pull any funny business with Ariadne).

“Remind me why we’re doing this again?” Arthur grumbles as he helps Eames gather up his watercolors and put them away before people start arriving.

“Because,” Eames says, washing off his brushes, “You’re far too antisocial for your own good, dear. And besides, it’s not so bad. Mal and Dom are your friends, you know.”

Arthur shrugs and flops down on the bed, reaching an arm over to pet James, who, in true James fashion, is sleeping peacefully despite the fact that Arthur and Eames tend to be loud and shout at each other all the time.

“I’m not antisocial,” Arthur says. “I’m just not very good with people.”

Eames laughs and says, “Of course. That must be it.”

Arthur scowls at Eames and pushes himself up to a sitting position, crossing his legs to sit Indian-style on the bed. He pets James absently and watches as Eames moves about, putting things away so the apartment won’t be too much of a mess when people arrive (the apartment has gotten significantly messier since he moved in, but it still retains Arthur’s air of precision). After a while, when Eames has deemed the place tidy enough, which in all honesty isn’t that tidy at all and certainly not as neat as Arthur’s apartment used to be before Eames moved in, he goes to sit on the bed by Arthur.

“You could smile a little,” Eames encourages. “It’s supposed to be a happy day.”

Arthur just frowns even more at Eames and Eames chuckles and pokes Arthur’s cheek.

“Careful,” Eames teases, “Or your face will stick that way.”

Arthur’s expression transforms into a smirk then and he asks, “What would you do if it did?”

“Oh god, I’d leave you right away of course,” Eames says with mock seriousness. “I can’t be seen with someone who looks like that.”

Arthur feigns a hurt expression, turning his nose up and looking away for dramatic effect. “I hate you,” he says.

Eames laughs and leans in to press his lips to Arthur’s jaw. Arthur turns and catches Eames’ lips with his own, his grin obscuring the kiss he places on Eames’ mouth. When they pull away, Arthur’s pale cheeks are a little flushed as always, which Eames points out as he usually does, and it has the desired effect of making the blush more pronounced.

Arthur eyes Eames’ outfit critically once more as he’s been doing every so often today. He hasn’t said anything about it yet.

“You look nice today,” Arthur says finally, reaching out to smooth out the wrinkles.

“Does this mean I get the Arthur seal of approval?” Eames asks with too much enthusiasm.

Arthur snorts and rolls his eyes. “Sure,” he says, and Eames lets out a little cheer. Arthur looks him in the eye again and says without smiling, “You’re insane.”

Eames nods, “Noted.”

“You’re the most disorganized person I’ve ever met,” Arthur says.

“I’m sure,” Eames agrees, just to humor Arthur a little.

“You always steal all the blankets,” Arthur says, expression still one of absolute solemnity.

Eames can’t help grinning at this comment. “Well I’m afraid that can’t be helped,” he says.

Arthur manages to keep his poker face for a moment longer before his expression slips and a grin breaks out on his face. He lets his head drop to Eames’ shoulder and he chuckles into the fabric of Eames’ shirt. Eames presses a kiss to the top of Arthur’s head. James stretches lazily and rolls onto her back and falls back asleep.

“I love you,” Arthur says, and the way he says it seems to say never leave me, even though he’d never admit something like that out loud. His voice is so soft that you’d have to be waiting for it to hear it, but Eames catches it, hears it loud and clear.

Eames smiles into Arthur’s hair and slips his arm around Arthur’s waist. “I love you too, darling,” Eames murmurs, and he makes sure that his tone says I won’t ever leave, I’ll be here as long as you want me, I promise.
♠ ♠ ♠
THE END! hope you enjoyed how it ended.
um I don't think I'm gonna be posting any more A/E fics here (after Darling, finishes) but if you're interested I do fill various prompts on the inception_kink meme on livejournal
EDIT: you can now find me on livejournal here
I don't actually have a LJ account because I'm too lazy to make one, but if you want, you can follow me on tumblr as I post links to all the fics I write for the prompts on the kmeme (tagged under "writing" and "fanfiction")
anyway, thank you all so much for reading and for the amazing feedback and support!
love you all. so much. forever. ok.

thanks to the following people for commenting!
holly.is.awkward
peter101wentz
Chloe Gray
Hezzarther

thank you so much for 200+ comments, 430+ readers, and 141 subscribers! you guys are the best!