Wonderwall

Ice Cream and Tattoos

Darcy shuffled around the house for the next few days. John tried getting her out. He invited her to hang with the guys. He asked her to breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He attempted to get her to go down to the old park and play a bit of soccer with him. He tried nearly everything but nothing worked.

She made excuses and turned him down, always opting to stay in and eat in her room. She was moody too. Sometimes she would look so sad; John would immediately pull her into a hug and reassure her everything was okay. Other times, she seemed so angry he tried to stay out of her way. He didn’t understand what was going on, but he tried to sympathize.

It was obvious she had come here for a specific reason, but the harder he tried to figure it out the more he seemed to get confused. He was getting exceptionally worried by the time the fourth day of her seclusion rolled around. He was contemplating calling his mom, or worse, her father, to get inside information.

He was sitting on the couch, completely bored out of his mind and slightly frustrated with her mood swings after she’d thrown a wooden spoon at him that morning, when his attention was easily torn from the television. It took him a minute and a second glance to register what was happening.

Darcy was coming down the hall. She was dressed casually in a pair of jean shorts, a v-neck shirt, a sweater in hand, and blue green converse. She was smiling slightly as she hummed and took a seat beside him on the couch. He stared at her, completely bewildered while she seemed oblivious.

He composed himself quickly and licked his lips before speaking. “Where you going, Darc?” It was clear she was dressed to go out, even if it was casual.

Her lips curled into a smirk as she crossed her arms and stared ahead at the screen. “To get ice cream.” She answered simply, knowing the vague answer was only going to feed his curiosity for mere seconds.

“With who?” He questioned slowly. He was slightly hurt that she hadn’t made plans with him, but also slightly happy that she was finally out of her rut.

Her smirk widened as she looked over at him. “Kennedy.”

His mouth fell open and she giggled, turning back to the television though she wasn’t watching it. John almost didn’t believe his ears, but there was no way he’d misheard her. She had spoken his name crisp and precise, with a chipper little ring to it.

“So,” He couldn’t even think of something to say.

Darcy decided to help him with his jumbled thoughts as she giggled a little more. “I’m sure you’ve noticed, but I’ve been kind of in a funk lately so I figured I might as well give this thing a shot. He is your best friend and all.” She shrugged and smirked a little again.

John finally recovered. He smiled and threw his arm around her shoulders. “He’s a good guy, Darc. I promise.” It was supposed to be reassuring and comforting, but it made a heavy stone fall into Darcy’s stomach. It made her feel guilty.

She wasn’t really planning on giving Kennedy a ‘chance’. She just wanted fun. She needed a break from her perfectly organized life and she needed a bit of help doing so. This was the first time she reconsidered using Kennedy for her own happiness. It wasn’t the right thing to do, but a part of her was so sick of always having to do the right thing. She wanted to make mistakes and just live in the moment.

“How did you get a hold of him, anyway?” John pulled her from her thoughts with his never ending curiosity. She smirked again as she refocused on the good and mentally smeared the bad so it was unrecognizable.

“I stole his number from your phone, which is in the fruit bowl by the way.”

“How the hell did it get there?”

“I don’t know. You were the drunk one last night.”

“I wasn’t that drunk. I could at least walk in a straight line.”

She snorted. “Tell that to the flowers you stomped on in the backyard.”

His eyebrows scrunched together. “What was I doing in the backyard?”

“You wanted to go swimming, but I stopped you before you drowned yourself.”

“Well, thanks Darc.”

“Don’t mention it.”

The doorbell rang, making both of them fall silent. Darcy’s eyes widened as her body froze. John stared at her oddly, noticing that she wasn’t even breathing. He lightly tapped her shoulder and frowned.

“You’d better get that. It might be your date.”

The air finally escaped her lungs as she sat forward. Her head was spinning slightly from the lack of oxygen it was getting and it took a few moments before she could pull herself together. “You’re right.” She stood up and ran a hand through her hair, trying to calm herself. “I’ll be back in a few hours.”

“Don’t worry ‘bout it. Stay out as late as you want.” He smirked and winked. “I would volunteer to go over to Garrett’s, but Kenny’s got his own place you two can ‘mingle’ at.”

Darcy rolled her eyes. “I don’t sleep around and you know that Mr. Johno so stop air quoting things to make them seem more suggestive. It’s lame.”

“Yes m’am.”

“I hate you.” She stomped out of the room, ignoring his yells of goodbye and love you. Her anxiety returned as she approached the front door. Things could all very easily blow up in her face. She sighed and rolled her shoulders, making herself forget everything. She plastered a wide smile on her face and opened the door. “Hey Kenny.”

Kennedy had to quickly close his mouth and force his eyes to not roam her body. He licked his lips nervously and nodded slightly. “Hi Darcy.” He was still terrified of her, well more of John than her. Even though John was the one trying to set them up, Kennedy knew it probably wouldn’t take long for him to regret it.

She stepped out of the house and closed the door. “So, are there any good ice cream parlors still open downtown?”

“Uh, there’s a Baskin Robins,” Kennedy rubbed his tattoo on his right arm as he always did when he was anxious. Darcy noticed and briefly examined the design, raising an eyebrow shortly before returning her eyes to his pretty green ones. “And I think there’s a new place on the other side of town. They have Italian ice though, not ice cream.”

The two started to slowly walk down the sidewalk, toward the second car in the driveway. She observed that the second car, obviously Kennedy’s, was not as new as John’s. It wasn’t as shiny or flashy either. It was still nice though and Darcy liked it.

“Well, I really wanted ice cream, but Baskin Robins is like my worst nightmare.” She scrunched her nose up and he thought she looked cute.

“Bella Mote it is then.” Kennedy stepped forward and opened the passenger door for her, sending that glamorous grin of his her way. She bit her bottom lip and smiled a little. There was no denying that he didn’t look good or that his sweetness made her slightly flustered.

“Thanks.” She mumbled and signed the simple word as she slipped into the car. As she glanced back, she caught John’s face pressed up against the front window, staring in their direction. She rolled her eyes and flicked him off as he gave her a thumbs up.

Kennedy couldn’t wipe the grin off his face as he shut her door and walked around the car. Some of the things she did were just too easy to like.

* * * * * * *

Darcy was surprised by how un-awkward things were with Kennedy. She hardly knew him and vice versa, but not a single moment in his company was uncomfortable. The five minute drive was quiet, but not the tension-in-the-air-is-enough-to-suffocate-us kind of quiet. The part where he insisted on paying for her double scoop Raspberry Italian Ice was slightly expected. She knew, even without John’s inside information, that he was the old fashioned type. It was all very soothing, yet oddly strange.

Kennedy, himself, was uneasy. He didn’t know what to say, or if he should even say anything. He just drove and yelled inside his head. Every few minutes or so he would rub his arm and try reassuring himself that things were okay. He calmed down a little once they reached the small parlor. He watched as she ordered, using her hands as always while she talked. He found it very interesting and intriguing. After he’d ordered and paid for both of them, he decided to ask.

“So, where did you learn the sign language from?” He curiously eyed her hands as they slid into a booth she had picked out. The place was mostly empty, which she loved. The crowded business was part of the reason she disdained Baskin Robins so much.

Darcy blushed as she stared down into her bowl. “My Dad.” She didn’t mind telling him, it was just the fact that he had seen enough to ask about it. It was such a habit; sometimes she forgot that she was around people who could hear and stopped talking all together to just sign.

“You said you were CODA, right?”

She nodded. “Yep. My Dad became deaf when I was five. It was an accident on the job. At first they thought it was just some minor damage to his conchlear nerve, but after so long of losing your hearing you eventually get labeled deaf.” She shrugged. In honesty, she didn’t really remember that first year. It was hard, but it was nothing compared to the next year she had to cope with.

“I’m sorry.” His eyebrows scrunched together. He felt horrible, but he couldn’t quite place the right words in an understandable sentence. So he apologized, for what … he didn’t even know.

She gave him an odd look. “I guess I shouldn’t tell you what happened next if you’re already apologizing for something you weren’t even around for.” He sheepishly smiled and then realized she said next, as in the story got worse.

“There’s more?” He winced a little. He was sure having one of your parents go deaf at such a young age was plenty hard enough without more burdens.

“Unfortunately.” She smiled sadly. She didn’t mind telling Kennedy. His prescience alone was consoling, not to mention those hazel eyes filled with such sympathy it was heartbreaking. She felt safe telling him. “Two years after my dad lost his hearing, my mom ditched us. Taking care of a ‘special needs’ husband and a seven year old daughter was too much apparently, so she ran off.”

Darcy dropped her eyes to her small bowl. She’d never hated her mother, or even resented her. She simply dealt with what she had to live with. Now, looking back at her own childish decision to run away, she thought maybe she understood it all a little better.

“Oh,” Kennedy was again, lost for words. He watched the bold, impulsive girl he was starting to get to know turn into a sad, reserved girl. His stomach knotted and his chest filled with sorrow. “Darcy,” he still couldn’t put his thoughts together. He’d grown up with normal simple small-town problems, maybe a little drama here, but that was it. He didn’t have experience with such grief or pain. He didn’t know how to respond, or how to try to make her feel better.

He didn’t have to ponder for long, however. As quickly as the melancholy tone had settled in their conversation, it vanished. Darcy smiled at him and pushed her hand forward just a little, so that her knuckle brushed against his.

“It’s fine. I learned ASL before I learned to read. John and my Aunt Pam lived in Kansas for a few months while she helped my Dad get things settled. Then when she left, I took over.” She was still smiling but inside something was breaking.

“Took over?” He repeated and then frowned. “Like you helped your dad?”

Darcy looked down again. “Yeah. My dad was still pretty knew to the whole deaf thing and the disability forms were hard for him to understand for a while. I took care of the basic things, like paying the bills and getting the groceries and then making dinner and keeping the house clean.” She bit her bottom lip as she realized she was rambling a list that didn’t need to be completely spelled out. “That kind of stuff.”

Kennedy stared at her with a whole new look. “And you were only seven?” She nodded and started spooning Italian Ice into her mouth like crazy. He sat back and continued to stare at her. He had definitely not expected this. He didn’t understand how such a young girl could take over such an adult roll, but as he gazed at Darcy and finally locked his eyes with hers, he saw it.

He saw how brave she was. How tough she had been. How she was somehow broken because of it. He saw that she was scared too, now and here. Just as John and Eric had come to the same conclusion, he realized something was wrong.

“Every June after that I flew here and spent the summer with John and my Aunt and Uncle. I haven’t visited for a while though.” Her fake smile turned sad. “I’ve been pretty busy just working and still taking care of my dad. Now that he’s older it’s a lot more work.” She giggled lightly and then sighed. “Enough about my sappy story. I want to hear the story behind this tattoo.” She smirked as she pointed toward his three lines on his wrist.

He glanced down and smiled too. “That’s an embarrassing story.” He looked up and was happy to see her grinning like she actually meant it.

“I’m sure John’s told you plenty of my embarrassing stories, so let’s hear it.” She clicked her tongue and sat back as he leaned forward.

“Fine.” He rolled his eyes and looked down at the tattoo again. His fingers traced over it as he remembered the night clearly. “I was drunk, for starters.”

“Oh, that’s always a great starter.” She giggled and he shot her a playful glare.

“Everyone was wasted, technically. It was some party a few friends had thrown after the band had come home from a tour. Things got hectic fast and I remember at one point I was standing next to my brother and I was just struck suddenly by how lucky I was. I mean, I had the band, great friends, awesome fans. It was a moment of pure astonishment.”

“Like being struck by lightning.”

He chuckled at her serious expression. “Yeah, something like that. So in that moment of wonder, I turned to my brother and threw my arms around him. I told him how much I loved him and went on and on.” Darcy erupted into giggles and he smiled a little. “Like I said, I was drunk so the words and the babbling was uncontrollable. But, anyway, he hugged me back and said he loved me too and, again, in my drunken state I decided I wanted to remember that moment for forever. That way I never let the fame get to my head.”

“Nice plan.”

“Byron thought so too.” He laughed and shook his head. “We got to a tattoo parlor a few hours later, slightly less drunk but not completely sober yet, and determined we’d both get matching tattoos.” She looked down at his arm and smiled. “The three lines stand for ‘I love you’ because like the intoxicated idiots we were, we couldn’t think of anything better.”

“Wow.”

“I know, it’s ridiculous but we thought we were cool at the time.”

“Actually, I think it’s brilliant.” He furrowed his eyebrows at her. Everyone had made fun of him for months afterward. Apparently getting a ‘I love you’ metaphorically tattooed was gay. But Darcy didn’t see it that way. “It’s like you said, you boys are so lucky to have everything you do. I think it was smart not to let yourself get egotistical. And it’s kind of sweet you and your brother have the same tattoo.”

“Well, technically his is just oval-looking things. I got mine colored in.”

“Either way, I like them.” She smiled and then he smiled. Their eyes shined and their minds went blank. It was just a moment where feelings collided and things were indescribable. Darcy dropped her eyes again first, unable to keep her emotions in check.

Kennedy cleared his throat after a minute. “So, do you have any outrageous tattoos?”

She smiled again despite herself. “I do, but I can’t show it to you at the moment since I’d have to lift my shirt.” His eyes widened. “It’s on my back, across my shoulder blades. Not as interesting as yours, just words.”

“Favorite lyrics?”

She shrugged and smirked. “Something like that. I’ll show it to you sometime. Maybe when we’re not in public.” She winked and then giggled as he blushed. This was Kennedy’s turn to shyly stare down at his bowl, pretending like his cheeks weren’t on fire. Darcy giggled harder. “You know, you remind me of Eric Dill.”

“Eric who?” His head shot up. He was much more at ease now that they were clearly off the topic of shirtlessness.

“Eric Dill. He’s a lead singer, well, used to be a lead singer. Now he just writes songs for other artists to sing. It’s kind of sad really. His band kicked him out for some reason, though rumor is he was an arrogant prick.”

“Wow, I remind you of an arrogant prick?” He meant it as a joke, but honestly, the comment did sting a little.

“Not his personality, but his features. I have a few album covers with him on the front. You should come over when my stuff gets here. I’ll even let you listen to him, though I don’t think he’s your type of music.” She teased, knowing perfectly well that the artist was nowhere near Kennedy’s genre.

“Eh, I like all types of music.” He shrugged, but something in her smile was a little too mischievous. Then suddenly, her whole expression changed. Her eyes widened and her mouth fell open. She looked like a mixture of fright and surprise.

“Oh, god. I’ve got to get back. Um, it’s been really fun Kenny. I loved everything, but I really need you to drive me back to John’s like now.” Her tone was stressed as she quickly scooted out of the booth.

Kennedy followed, slightly taken aback by her abruptness. “Sure.” He muttered as he threw away his empty plastic bowl and held the door Darcy. He noticed her whole demeanor had changed and he wondered why.

He replayed their conversation in his mind on the drive back. He couldn’t figure out what exactly had freaked her out, but he hoped it wasn’t his fault.

When he pulled up to John’s house, he frowned. He opened his mouth and turned to say something along the lines of another apology, but before he spoke he was stunned into silence again by her.

She leaned over the middle consul and kissed his cheek. Then she dashed out of the car and toward the house without any other form of goodbye. Kennedy exhaled loudly as he watched her disappear through the doorway.

“God damn, crazy woman.” He mumbled to himself as he started to back out of the driveway again. He was absolutely mystified when it came to Darcy, but a part of him deep down wished that would change.
♠ ♠ ♠
here is a look at Kenny and Byron's tattoos : ) I think they're really cute and though I don't know the wholetrue story behind them, I do know that they 'I love you'. this is another good look at his X D he's such a good looking man. makes me consider packing my things and heading to Arizona for a few years.
anyways ... yep. hopes you guys love the update! this chapter is really cute though the ending is abrupt and some what confusing. you all are supposed to be confused, but don't worry. everything will be revealed with time; leave me and Kenny some love in the comments section ; )
xooxEmber