Running Wild in the Night

Fingerpaint Therapy

Still Brian's POV

I woke up the next morning to see that Nikki was gone. I immediately shot out of bed and started looking all over my room for her. Sad thing was that I checked under my bed for her. What? You never know!

"Nikki? Nikki, where are you," I called looking in my closet.

"What are you doing," Brent called as he passed my room.

"Looking for Nikki! She's missing."

"Oh, she's with McKenna," he answered casually.

"What," I yelled, running down the stairs.

In the kitchen with my parents was Nikki and McKenna. Nikki was finger painting with McKenna and had paint splatters all over her face. "Oh, morning Brian. Care to share how Nikki appeared in your room," my dad asked as he looked at me over his newspaper.

Both McKenna and Nikki looked at me as Brent laughed at the sight of the two. "She was on a walk, I think. I really don't know what Nikki was doing outside around midnight, but it was raining. I told her to come inside and she fell asleep when I called Jimmy to tell him where his cousin is," I said, wiping the paint of my sister's face.

"Brian, stop," McKenna protested, throwing a fit.

I looked at her and said, "You are all painty."

"I forgot how much fun finger-painting is."

All of us, including my parents and Brent, stared at Nikki as she continued finger painting. She had a small smile on her face as she got more paint. I couldn't help but smile, I don't think I ever seen her this happy since I met her.

"Brian said you did amazing paintings," Suzy said, spreading butter on the piece of toast.

"Did.....but not anymore. I haven't painted in, I think, two years," she said, biting her lower lip, "There's unfinished painting at my aunt and uncle's house that was the last one I did. Jimmy thinks I should finish it."

"That talent will come back to you," my dad said, "and when it does, I'd like to see one of your paintings."

"You've seen one already. That painting in the Sullivan's living room, the one over the fireplace. Nikki did that one."

"I did that one when I was high," she muttered.

My parents and Brent all stared at Nikki when she said that. They knew that she was a former heroin addict but they didn't know that she was a bit open with that fact. I've heard her say that multiple times that it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. When I hear say that, I just want to be able to help her when it seems like I can't.

"You're really talented to be able to paint when you're like that," Brent said, trying to break the silence.

I shot him a glare as Nikki shrugged, not really paying attention to anything that wasn't her finger painting. McKenna looked at her painting and said, "What are you painting, Nikki?"

"I really don't know. I doing abstract art, I guess," she answered as she titled her head, actually taking the time to look at what she was painting.

"It's pretty."

"You want it?"

McKenna gasped as she stared wide-eyed at Nikki. "Really?"

"Sure. I can always do more paintings like this and you're adorable."

We all laughed as McKenna hugged Nikki's legs, saying thank you over and over again. Nikki just looked down at her, a bit in shock. It was a funny sight, trust me. There Nikki was, sitting there, some paint spots on her face, shocked look on her face with my little sister hugging her legs.

Nikki's POV

"So what did you do at Brian's house," Jimmy asked as Brian and I walked into the house.

Brian, Jimmy, and the rest of the guys had band practice at our house so it made sense in Brian's mind to just stick around the house. I, on the other hand, just wanted to take a shower. "She and McKenna finger painted," Brian said, smirking.

"Nikki finger paints? That's a bit odd, Coley," Jimmy said, just staring at me.

I just shrugged and walked up stairs to me room. "Finger painting is fun, you just don't understand."

I am Nicole Storm McCade’s self hatred

That thought appeared in my head as I finished my shower and looked at my reflection. I didn't know until now that I could count my ribs, all of them. I was so skinny that it scared to living crap out of me. "This is no way to live," I whispered, thinking back to my old life.

"Try this, you'll love it," Morgan said to me, holding up a syringe.

I stared at him, confused of what it was. "Morgan, what is it?"

"Heroin."

Without a moment of thought, I said it. "Give it to me."

"Morgan?"

He looked at me as I walked to his house. Ever since that night he gave me my first shot, I got hooked and he became my dealer. I was his favorite customer because I could throw away thousands without a care in the world. I usually spent thousands for my love for heroin.

"I need some."

"Alright, I'll fix you up some."

My life revolved around this drug.


I changed into a pair of jeans and a black tank top and walked down stairs. Jimmy looked at me and asked, "Why were you in the bathroom for so long."

"Did you know I can count all my ribs?"

"Nikki seriously-"

"I am being serious," I said, cutting him off, "I looked in the mirror and I realized that I can count my ribs. Then I weighed myself and apparently I weigh 87 pounds."

"That's too little, Nikki. You need to at least weigh 100 pounds," Brian said.

I just shrugged and said, "Its not my fault."

It is, you liar.

No, it’s not my fault.


And I’m arguing with myself………………not a good sign.

"Nikki, are you going to stay to watch us practice," Brian asked as I dug around the closet.

"Sure, I guess, there's something I've been dying to try out."

"Wow you're in a good mood," Jimmy said.

"I guess you should finger paint with my sister more often," Brian joked.

"Finger paint therapy does wonders."