Running Wild in the Night

Musical Artistic Genius

Nikki's POV

I sat on the dock at the beach, drawing some sketches of people surfing. As soon as I woke up this morning, I was immediately pushed out of the house and was told not to come back until three. My aunt and uncle handed me money and my art stuff to amuse me. Jimmy and Matt where the ones that dropped me off at the beach, telling me not to get in trouble before they sped off.

So that's why I'm here and all I can say is that I am thankful that my aunt and uncle gave me something to amuse myself with.

"I, Nicole Storm McCade, am bored and hungry," I said as I got up.

I pulled out the fifty dollars my aunt handed me and looked around, attempting to find some place that looks good. Then I found it. One of my favorite places to go and its quick!

"Oh! Chipotle!"

Brian's POV

"So let me get this straight: you forced Nikki out of the house even though she knows we're throwing her a birthday party," I asked putting decorations on the fence.

We decided to have a pool party with a barbeque so that's what we were setting up for. My parents were also helping out as well which made our lives much easier.

"Well, she doesn't know what kind of party we're throwing her so it’s a bit of a surprise," Jimmy said, getting out the grill.

I sat on the grass, looking at the table that had the presents. There were a multitude of shapes and sizes. I could easily tell which one was Jimmy's due to the horrible wrapping and the fact that it was Christmas wrapping paper. If you haven't noticed, Jimmy is bad with wrapping presents as well. Its okay, I am as well, that's why I had Suzy wrap my present......even though it was in a box. I honestly believe that wrapping presents is a skill that only women seem to have.

Part of me still doubted if Nikki would like the present I got her. I'm being paranoid I know but there's always that 'what if....' No, she'll like it. Nikki will love it.

"Brian, stop being paranoid! Nikki will love that present," Val said, placing her present with the rest.

"I can't help it," I said, whining.

"I DON'T CARE IF ITS NOT THREE, I'M FUCKING BACK BECAUSE SOME GUY KEPT FUCKING FOLLOWING ME AROUND THE FUCKING BEACH AND WOULDN'T LEAVE ME ALONE."

Everyone looked at one another as they heard Nikki stomp up the stairs. Zacky, Matt, and Johnny all pushed me the house as Jimmy whispered, "Don't let her see or go into the backyard!"

I nervously entered her room to find a pissed-off Nikki going through her dresser and closet. "Hey, Nikki."

She jumped before she turned around; apparently I scared her. "Goddamn, Brian, you scared me," she said, clutching her hairbrush.

I smiled as I walked towards her, wrapping my arms around her small waist and kissing her. It took her a split second to kiss me back, letting me know everything was fine with her. I pulled away, my arms still wrapped around her small waist and asked, "So how was the beach?"

"It was fine until this one guy kept following me and hitting on me," Nikki answered as she got out of my grasp and wandered into her closet.

I lay on her bed as she grabbed some clothes and walked into the shower, locking it. Damn, that girl is smart.

Nikki's POV

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY NIKKI," everyone screamed as I walked with Brian into the backyard.

Confetti was thrown at me as I stood in my spot, looking at everyone. I knew they were throwing me a birthday party but I was still surprised. Thank god, I had changed into a dark purple bikini, black shorts, flip-flops, and a black hoodie. Brian was behind me, laughing his ass off at the sight of me with confetti in my hair with a shocked look on my face.

"Okay, here's a plate. Now start eating," Val said, pushing me to the table of food.

I was about to protest when I saw my favorite food in the world: churros. I grabbed the plate of churros, put my empty plate in its place, grabbed a mountain dew and walked off. I sat by the pool, eating a churro. A smile crept on my face as I heard Zacky yell, "Where'd the goddamn churros go?"

"I don't have them," I said, a churro in my mouth.

"Okay, present time," Jimmy announced, tossing his present onto my lap.

I looked at his wrapping job and raised my eyebrows. "Jimmy, you used Christmas wrapping paper."

"It’s the only kind I could find in the house," he protested.

“We have others,” my aunt said, shaking her head.

I just nodded and began ripping the paper off. My jaw dropped as he got me a bunch of new paints of every kind, more paintbrushes, pencils, three more sketchbooks, and an easel. "I now have to do a fantabulous painting," I announced, organizing the paints.

Val got me a copy of every book Hunter S. Thompson wrote, Matt got me a Motley Crue hoodie, Johnny got me a book of all of Edgar Allen Poe's work, and Zacky got me bunch of cd's ranging from Motley Crue to Metallica. Papa Gates and Suzy got me a bunch of gift cards to art stores and a map of where the best churros in Huntington could be found. My aunt and uncle got me a little puppy. Yes, a puppy. It’s a rottweiller that I named Velkan and he's so fucking adorable. Velkan was curled up in my lap with a purple bow around his neck as I looked at Brian who just handed me his gift, mumbling, "I hope you like it, Nikki."

I smiled at him as I ripped the paper off, looking at the small box. As I opened it, my jaw dropped as the box fell onto Velkan, who let out a small bark. "Brian! You shouldn't have," I yelled as Val picked it up.

She gasped, looking at Brian, and said, "Holy crap Brian, you had no reason to be paranoid!"

"What did he get her," Johnny asked, standing on a chair behind Matt to see.

Brian walked over to me, taking the necklace out of the box, and put it around my neck. I looked at him, still in shock, "Brian, why did you get it? You didn't have to."

"Because I know you wanted it," he replied, kissing my forehead.

"It’s good to see that my granddaughter is happy."

Brian's POV

We all turned around to see an elderly couple walk towards us. The man was bald, wore dark sunglasses, a dark green button up shirt, and jeans. He looked around 6'3". His wife, I'm assuming, had her grey hair in a bun as her brown eyes looked straight at Nikki. She wore a green skirt with a matching green shirt and stood at 5'6".

Nikki looked at them and whispered, "Grandmother? Grandfather?"

They nodded as Nikki ran towards them, giving them hugs. I leaned over to Jimmy and whispered, "Who are they?"

"Coley's grandparents, from her father's side."

"Wouldn't it be awkward for her, seeing how her father was?"

"No because they adopted him into their family so they aren't blood-related but they still love her like grandparents should love their grandchildren," Mrs. Sullivan said.

"Oh," was all I could say as Nikki dragged them over to the rest of us, talking in some language that sounded like Russian.

After the introductions, I saw that her grandparents were pretty cool. They were extremely nice and considerate, considering her father, that was a good thing. Apparently, Cody, her grandfather, was in the navy. An Admiral even. Her grandmother, Julia, was a music teacher who happened to have taught Jimmy's mother and Nikki's mother various instruments. Mrs. Sullivan learned the piano while Arabella, Nikki's mother, learned the violin.

"Speaking of music, Nicole, I believe it was high time that you get back to playing," Julia said.

Nikki looked at her and said, "Grandmother, I haven't played anything in two years. I just started painting and its still coming on so slowly."

"That's why I decided to take you under my wing and bring that talent back," Julia replied as she handed Nikki a case.

I looked at both of them as Nikki opened it, revealing a cello. "You were always a musical genius that could paint and beat anyone in academics, Nicole," Cody said.

Nikki looked at me and whispered, "Now you learned something else about me."